Desktop Computers

gauze

Molten Core Raider
I've heard we should try Benq Zowie's but haven't tried them yet.
If you haven't decided yet, Zowie is definitely an FPS favorite. I don't know where the hero sensor stacks up against 3360?sensor on the ec.. But I'm sure it's all picking hairs to some point.

Zowie's main prowess, is they offer up difference sizes/fittings. So if you're a behemoth of a person with big ol hands.. They do serve up an extra large size.. They tend to also focus on more of the important factors of the mouse rather than trying to shape it up to be aerodynamic, super futuristic looking, or led=/=skill.

The FK series, which is widely used in the esport is something you cant go wrong with. The EC series, I believe supports their finest sensor and also has a hefty use in the esports; no personal experience. I'm pretty much convinced that if a player isn't using zowie, majority of the time it's because sponsors.. Or zowie just sponsors everyone.

If you want the Deathadder without it being a Deathadder, Zowie is the go-to. Esp if you prefer claw. I think it's still hard to beat Logitech with palm, esp after they released mx518 with hero sensor /drool.. Zowie runs away with the design of the old school fps god tier mouse, the Microsoft Intellimouse 1.1a.

Eitherway, I don't think you could go wrong with any mouse.. Comfort is what matters most, at one point zowie was on a another level while everyone was producing spaceships.. And pretty much solidified their diehards, and the fans alike. Not sure if it's changed, but zowie/Benq has/had poor customer service.

Last edited:

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
All the parts for my water cooling are here EXCEPT THE DAMN FANS

Fuck. I literally threw out like a dozen 120mm fans a few months ago

Going to try to put it together tomorrow anyways, and see if maybe I have some 120mm sitting around in old cases that I haven't tossed.

Here's to praying I don't suck at hardline tubing.

Fucker

Log Wizard
All the parts for my water cooling are here EXCEPT THE DAMN FANS

Fuck. I literally threw out like a dozen 120mm fans a few months ago

Going to try to put it together tomorrow anyways, and see if maybe I have some 120mm sitting around in old cases that I haven't tossed.

Here's to praying I don't suck at hardline tubing.

I keep everything that is as new. You never know when you'll need that odd part or whatever. The stuff doesn't take up much room in a box in the back of a closet. I found some new case fans for my P4 resurrection project and some molex-sata power connectors. I also found a NIB Antec branded Seasonic PSU that I forgot about...so it doesn't hurt to look through it all every now and then.

Side note: the Nvidia Geforce 3080 prototype came in today:

DSCN0906.JPG

• 1Weird Boner
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I keep everything that is as new. You never know when you'll need that odd part or whatever. The stuff doesn't take up much room in a box in the back of a closet. I found some new case fans for my P4 resurrection project and some molex-sata power connectors. I also found a NIB Antec branded Seasonic PSU that I forgot about...so it doesn't hurt to look through it all every now and then.

View attachment 244027
Really wonder if i have a voodoo card in a box somewhere.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 244027
i used to think that until the show "hoaders" came out and i was like... do i really need 10floppy drive cables?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I have my voodoo 3 2000 in the basement. Only card ive ever kept. It was literally the card that got me into PC building

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
i used to think that until the show "hoaders" came out and i was like... do i really need 10floppy drive cables?

There's a difference between hoarding and keeping maybe useful stuff around. I only have a few boxes so they don't take up space. There's an old guy on a computer forum who posted pictures of his house and the entire place was filled with old junk. Every single room including crap piled on the kitchen table. It also looks like it hasn't been cleaned in 30 years. /gag

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Alright listen. I know there are those of you still running at 2600k. You think it's okay. It's not. You need to upgrade. Yeah I get it, the clock speeds are the same numbers. The performance is not.

I have my custom watercooling project in process right now, so my PC is non functional. I busted out the PC I haven't even booted in 5 years that has a 2600k at 4.5. IT FEELS FUCKING SUPER BAD. Like I almost want to put it back in the closet because it just feels too bad.

Please friends, upgrade you 2600k. At least do it this year when the next gen Ryzen chips comes out. It's worth it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Alright listen. I know there are those of you still running at 2600k. You think it's okay. It's not. You need to upgrade. Yeah I get it, the clock speeds are the same numbers. The performance is not.

I have my custom watercooling project in process right now, so my PC is non functional. I busted out the PC I haven't even booted in 5 years that has a 2600k at 4.5. IT FEELS FUCKING SUPER BAD. Like I almost want to put it back in the closet because it just feels too bad.

Please friends, upgrade you 2600k. At least do it this year when the next gen Ryzen chips comes out. It's worth it.
i mean you booted it up with a regular hdd and win7 then right?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
i mean you booted it up with a regular hdd and win7 then right?
Regular hdd probably, to lazy to look. But I'm ignoring boot speed, I'm talking regular everyday performance. Browsing the forums feels bad. It does have win 10, obviously way out of date

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Speaking of Windows 7, it finally went end of life. No more updates. Time to upgrade that shit if you have a system running it and connected to the internet in any fashion.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Regular hdd probably, to lazy to look. But I'm ignoring boot speed, I'm talking regular everyday performance. Browsing the forums feels bad. It does have win 10, obviously way out of date
Turns out it is in fact an SSD! 120 GB Samsung 840

Fucker

Log Wizard

I didn't upgrade my 4790k because my most intensive program is Photoshop. I had the Ryzen 2600 and there was no real difference between the two. I had the membership with the regular updates and new versions. I bought Affinity Photo and simple batch jobs are WAY, WAY, WAY faster with Affinity Photo vs the latest version of Photoshop. A simple jpg squish of 2.3 GB of photos took something like 1:30+ in Photoshop. Affinity Photo? 16 seconds. Better quality in AP too. There are things that Photoshop is still the best at, but I have an old version CS6 that is good enough for that, and I use AP for everything else now. This CC stuff is massive bloatware and simply uninstalling it was enough to give my neurons ulcers.

I have a video file that I use for benchmarking Handbrake. Same presets, 4790k does 87.5 FPS and the 3700x does 184.4 FPS. Same amount of ram.

The 4790K has an 850 Evo sata SSD so it shouldn't feel pokey doing web and light stuff, but it does. It just feels broken even though it isn't.

Fucker

Log Wizard
My 3570k is using an SSD too and it isn't enough. It's far far worse without one, but it's still no good.

My non-OC'd 3570k shit the bed the week the warranty was up and Intel sent me a brand new one, NIB. I sold it on Ebay for $300. It's amazing how much money people will spend so they don't have to reload their OS.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
I rebuilt my old P4 mostly so I could see if my old Voodoo 2 cards still worked. It was my old loft computer that had a P4 2.2 GHz and 2gb of slow ram and a gasp PATA drive. For $30, I got a P4 3.2 GHz, 4gb of PC 800 ram, and I had a 640gb SATA drive. I put a new PSU it in because the Voodoo 2's made the old one shit itself.

And get this...it has dual PATA DVD burners that still work. $300 when new, total.

I put new old fans in it, and it feels pretty fleet for what it is. It is running XP so that's a big contributor to that. I didn't get the V2 cards to work because the effort quickly exceeded the payoff. I would have had to put Win98SE on the fucker...screw that.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Speaking of Windows 7, it finally went end of life. No more updates. Time to upgrade that shit if you have a system running it and connected to the internet in any fashion.

There was also a rather important Windows 10 update that came out the other day, make sure you get your Windows Updates done. Make sure you do the Check For Updates.

Also, unrelated to the W10 update, it's a good idea to check on BIOS updates if you have an Intel CPU. A bunch of cable modems also have some rather serious vulnerabilities.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The topic of the 2xxx series of Intel, I think it's guys justifying not spending money. I have a 6700k and even I realize it's nowhere near as good as new Intel, and the 6700k was a very good processor.

I also think people look at something like the number of cores and clock speed and that's it. There's a whole lot of new technology, microcode, firmware, etc. I mean we see it at work just testing new Intel chips between generations.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
The topic of the 2xxx series of Intel, I think it's guys justifying not spending money. I have a 6700k and even I realize it's nowhere near as good as new Intel, and the 6700k was a very good processor.

I also think people look at something like the number of cores and clock speed and that's it. There's a whole lot of new technology, microcode, firmware, etc. I mean we see it at work just testing new Intel chips between generations.
Yeah I see my 6700k falling by the wayside now. Looking to do a whole rebuild this summer with the new chips and video cards.