Desktop Computers

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
I’m still using a i7 3770k and a i5 2500k with 580 and 1060s. Really still holds up to good gaming. Next PC is an ultra compact itx if a mainstream card can drive 4K I’ll upgrade.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I fucking hate using my second PC because it blows and it's a 3570k. I can't imagine using something like a 2500/2600
Lol. My 2500k OC'ed to somewhere 4.0+ went into my wife's desktop to use whenever she wants to dink around. Not really any gaming, and for what it's used for it, it feels fine. but she's playing Asheron's Call emulators, and Facebook, so not exactly taxing shit. :)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have my voodoo 3 2000 in the basement. Only card ive ever kept. It was literally the card that got me into PC building

I read a big study some years ago about Voodoo's demise. It was interesting because they opted to create a proprietary coding language you had to use to integrate to your own codebase for your game or whatever to use it. Apparently this code syntax was universally reviled and absolutely everyone in the industry despised it. The moment something else came along that didn't use it all parties jumped ship.

I've always been curious as to what the language actually looked like. But could never find any samples of it.

The code thing wasn't the only reason mind you. But it was a huge factor.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I read a big study some years ago about Voodoo's demise. It was interesting because they opted to create a proprietary coding language you had to use to integrate to your own codebase for your game or whatever to use it. Apparently this code syntax was universally reviled and absolutely everyone in the industry despised it. The moment something else came along that didn't use it all parties jumped ship.

I've always been curious as to what the language actually looked like. But could never find any samples of it.

That's Creative Labs levels of hubris and stupidity

Fucker

Log Wizard

Direct X API came along and steamrolled everything. For once there was a well documented API with support from MS. But even then, 3DFX had one foot in the grave. The cards after the Voodoo 3 were late, incomplete, and expensive. They were choking on the ill conceived acquisition of STB so they could have the AIB market to themselves, and Nvidia came out with the TNT line of cards that embraced Direct X from the word go along with having a superior single chip solution. 3DFX was chasing the tiny AIB market and Nvidia chased the entire PC market with a solution that did 2D and 3D in a vastly superior manner than anyone else....and they sold chips to everyone and their brother who in turn sold products based on them to every single PC manufacturer on the planet.

Those 3dfx Voodoo 3 cards were trash compared to Canopus Nvidia cards and other vendors.

3DFX had Brian Hook who was an impediment to progress and MS had Alex St John who wanted to conquer the planet with Direct X api.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What about the Diamond V770 Ultra? I feel like that card lasted forever for me! Gonna google it now because I don't even know what type of card it was.

Edit: Oh, it was a nVidia TNT2 card. Sweet! That shit was awesome for so long for me!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No graphics card in one year is going to jump from 4K60 to 4K120 stable. I'll be impressed if they even make a great stride/step towards that this year.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What about the Diamond V770 Ultra? I feel like that card lasted forever for me! Gonna google it now because I don't even know what type of card it was.

Edit: Oh, it was a nVidia TNT2 card. Sweet! That shit was awesome for so long for me!
yea diamond, asus and stb were the major guys using nvidia, or at that time if you remember the "riva" chipset line, riva128, riva tnt/2 etc before they started to bust out with their

geforce

and just dominate

this was also the time when we'd transition to AGP and probably the death knell for 3dfx cuz everyone wanted 2d/3d cards in one and their voodoo3000 sucked

shit to make you guys feel old mini-disc was a very viable format and it was when diamond released the pmp300 rio mp3 player, with 32megs onboard, pretty sure i paid a pretty penny for another 32megs on a smartmedia card lulz.

gpu companies that eventually died s3, rendition, matrox

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Even if AMD somehow pulls something good out of their asses, it will be comparable to Nvidia's current gen, then followed by Nvidia moving down to 7nm and blowing them out of the water again.

AMD is doing a lot of great things these days, but Radeon Tech Group is not a part of those things

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Nvidia is just so far ahead of them it's silly. I guess it's good for competition but based on nvidias pricing they don't give a single fuck about amd. Unlike Intel who has been lowering prices

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Concentrated garbage in the form of an article, I especially liked the part speculating Samsung would make the graphics cards. Good to see the 200% increase in performance to watt people are back out in force.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Concentrated garbage in the form of an article, I especially liked the part speculating Samsung would make the graphics cards. Good to see the 200% increase in performance to watt people are back out in force.

It's not the first time I've read Samsung might be doing it. It's probably the most accurate thing in the article if anything is.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
3DFX had Brian Hook who was an impediment to progress and MS had Alex St John who wanted to conquer the planet with Direct X api.
i read alex st johns column in boot/maximumpc for like years...

man when was the last time i had that mag, musta been 10years ago... i think a few years ago they started a podcast and it ended too with asian gordan.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I found a new but old Asus board tucked away and it supports up to 3770k. I have a new but older Antec branded Seasonic PSU that was stashed away, and enough parts to make another solid PC. It will make a good platterbox, and an upgrade from the Core i5 750 that is my current platterbox.

I haven't tossed the Core i5 750 because it has been dead solid dependable ever since I got it. Don't need much compute power to spittle out backups to platter drives. BUT it has bad fan management so it is a bit loud. I don't turn it on other than for weekly backups, but this other board supports fan profiles so it will be quiet and I can use it for whatever.

I guess it is time to retire the 750. Swing low, sweet chariot. I bet I can sell it and the mainboard on Ebay for $75....because people will buy anything there.

Speaking of which, I got an i5 2500 for $20. Not the K model because I don't want one that has had the nuts run off of it and won't work unless it has 57 volts pushed through it.

Grand total? $29 which is $1 less than the P4 refresh I did. I had to buy a USB 3 thing so the front plugs would work.

I guess this ends the Peasant PC Chronicles because I don't have anything laying around.