Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's a niche market device.

View attachment 253771

The concept is fine, but it needs fewer & larger buttons, and it needs to be designed in a way that doesn't make it impossible for claw-grip users to use more than a few buttons while moving the mouse at the same time. I know some other companies did the same but with a more practical design, though I didn't test them myself.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Using a Naga Trinity at the moment and it's decent. But I detest the scroll wheel.

Is a mouse with the MX Master's scroll wheel and 4-6 thumb buttons too damn much to ask?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Tinkering with how I want to set things up if I end up going with an hdmi 2.1 TV as my main display once the next gen of GPU's come out, and this is what I'm leaning towards right now:

Capture.JPG

Red is 27" 1440p monitors in portrait setup flanking the tv. Orange is speakers, and green is case.

Proximity to the TV won't be a problem if I force it into an ultrawide resolution, but this won't be doable if it's an OLED due to black bar burn-in concerns. I can always pull the desk away from the wall-mounted displays, but this will be in my living room and that shit looks weird.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Tinkering with how I want to set things up if I end up going with an hdmi 2.1 TV as my main display once the next gen of GPU's come out, and this is what I'm leaning towards right now:

View attachment 254177

Red is 27" 1440p monitors in portrait setup flanking the tv. Orange is speakers, and green is case.

Proximity to the TV won't be a problem if I force it into an ultrawide resolution, but this won't be doable if it's an OLED due to black bar burn-in concerns. I can always pull the desk away from the wall-mounted displays, but this will be in my living room and that shit looks weird.

Why the TV?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>

View attachment 254177

I haven't had any burn in issues with my oled and I use it as a computer monitor. My desktop is just a black background with icons.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Why the TV?

Because monitors that equal the visual quality of available televisions don't exist, and the ones that come close are 2-3 times the price and are prone to the same problems cheap monitors tend to struggle with.

Why pay $2k for a top end monitor that is going to suffer from bad IPS glow/BLB, have shit HDR, and face a host of other issues when you can pay half the price for a quality TV that can do the same and more, with just the size being the only problematic feature? (Or response times if it's not OLED and you're into competitive games)

Monitors are finally improving a lot but TV's have finally started focusing on gaming features and are starting to bring performance and quality.

I haven't had any burn in issues with my oled and I use it as a computer monitor. My desktop is just a black background with icons.

I was talking about using a custom ultrawide resolution which would result in always having black bars above and below the active picture, which would result in burn-in because those pixels aren't being used while the others are. They would "age" differently.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What is the reason to run a different resolution than what the monitor does native?

Preference (21:9 vs 16:9), and in the case of using a large screen like that: practicality. It's the vertical that fucks you when being close to a very large display, with the horizontal being less of an issue. You can just leave it native and just arrange windows around as desired on the space available, but some games don't react well to being in windowed vs being fullscreen (borderless or full) and it's more finicky to deal with. Also, the black bars give every game you play on it a cinematic feel.

I used that TV as my main display in that ultrawide resolution setup for months and it was great, and I only stopped because I got tired of being limited to 60hz and so I bought a monitor. With the new TV's mostly being 120hz and VRR capable: It's just too good to pass up compared to what monitors are available for now.

A 48-49" TV with that custom res like that makes it almost identical in display size as say the 38GL950G and with the same resolution, but that monitor is $1800 USD and doesn't look anywhere near as good as a good TV that you can get for cheaper, and will have actual HDR. Bring OLED into the picture and it's an even more lopsided situation because OLED's have instant response times, pure blacks, great HDR, and just generally amazing picture quality.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
20200314_132346_HDR - Copy.jpg

20200314_132449 - Copy.jpg

20200314_132247_HDR - Copy.jpg

It works well for a lot of games. It's quite the experience, and my TV is rather dated now. I can only imagine what it will be like on one of the new models.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Though, there is the question of whether or not the TV's VRR (Freesync/Gsync) will work in such a config. I haven't been able to find out one way or the other yet.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
You should actually try a decent gaming monitor before declaring a high latency + no freesynch cheap tv to be superior.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Because monitors that equal the visual quality of available televisions don't exist, and the ones that come close are 2-3 times the price and are prone to the same problems cheap monitors tend to struggle with.

Why pay $2k for a top end monitor that is going to suffer from bad IPS glow/BLB, have shit HDR, and face a host of other issues when you can pay half the price for a quality TV that can do the same and more, with just the size being the only problematic feature? (Or response times if it's not OLED and you're into competitive games)

Monitors are finally improving a lot but TV's have finally started focusing on gaming features and are starting to bring performance and quality.

I was talking about using a custom ultrawide resolution which would result in always having black bars above and below the active picture, which would result in burn-in because those pixels aren't being used while the others are. They would "age" differently.
Ah gotcha

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone have trouble streaming CoD games?

The actual game is fine - somewhere between 120-144 fps while streaming. But my stream is dropping frames nonstop. I've tried all different types of encodings, bit rates, etc and nothing helps. I think twitch limits you to 6500kbps bit rate anyways. I'm getting 20-25% frame loss sometimes down to 25 fps.

Any other game is fine. I play overwatch with 240ish fps, doom, other fps fast paced games. Just CoD is a problem

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Anyone have trouble streaming CoD games?

The actual game is fine - somewhere between 120-144 fps while streaming. But my stream is dropping frames nonstop. I've tried all different types of encodings, bit rates, etc and nothing helps. I think twitch limits you to 6500kbps bit rate anyways. I'm getting 20-25% frame loss sometimes down to 25 fps.

Any other game is fine. I play overwatch with 240ish fps, doom, other fps fast paced games. Just CoD is a problem

Maybe try messing with the encoding speed?

-

Another decent budget IPS hit the market

Argarth

On the verandah
A 48-49" TV with that custom res like that makes it almost identical in display size as say the 38GL950G and with the same resolution, but that monitor is $1800 USD and doesn't look anywhere near as good as a good TV that you can get for cheaper, and will have actual HDR. Bring OLED into the picture and it's an even more lopsided situation because OLED's have instant response times, pure blacks, great HDR, and just generally amazing picture quality.

I bought the old model 38WK95C (75Hz/Freesync) several weeks ago when they were at almost fire-sale prices at my local store. I really wanted the extra screen size and pixels way more than a higher refresh rate anyway, and there's no way I'd ever pony up the money for the 38GL950G. Fortunately my 1080Ti is still powerful enough, so it's a great match.

I love it. The picture quality and screen uniformity are superb, and the BLB and Glow are miles better than my old UW. As much as I dislike curved panels, it probably can be justified somewhat at this panel size, and being a gentle 2300R, I'm finally getting used to it now. I'm sure it helps a little with the IPS Glow as well.

I agree with what you said about the TVs though, and understand why you're going in that direction. Pretty sure this will be the last monitor I buy, until one day OLED finally comes to Ultrawide. Then I'll have to go and rob a bank!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I bought the old model 38WK95C (75Hz/Freesync) several weeks ago when they were at almost fire-sale prices at my local store. I really wanted the extra screen size and pixels way more than a higher refresh rate anyway, and there's no way I'd ever pony up the money for the 38GL950G. Fortunately my 1080Ti is still powerful enough, so it's a great match.

I love it. The picture quality and screen uniformity are superb, and the BLB and Glow are miles better than my old UW. As much as I dislike curved panels, it probably can be justified somewhat at this panel size, and being a gentle 2300R, I'm finally getting used to it now. I'm sure it helps a little with the IPS Glow as well.

I agree with what you said about the TVs though, and understand why you're going in that direction. Pretty sure this will be the last monitor I buy, until one day OLED finally comes to Ultrawide. Then I'll have to go and rob a bank!

I would be content with just going/sticking with a decent IPS monitor if I didn't really want something capable of good HDR, and also want a decent TV for non-PC related usage. I even considered buying one of those $2k 4k 144hz monitors with FALD but even those have pretty mediocre HDR, aren't hdmi 2.1, and have a loud fan in the panel.

The two primary choices I have are to either:

Buy a nice TV for non-PC usage and buy an expensive - but still inferior - ultrawide monitor (quality wise) for my PC usage and always feel like I should just play on the TV instead

or

Buy a nice TV and combine my PC into its setup and use it as the primary display for everything and just try to find ways to handle the size issue.

As this is all in my living room and I have to manage limited space, combining it all into one setup also gives me a bit more room for other things.