Desktop Computers

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
It looks like work will have me working from home in the near future a couple days a week. About the only thing i need for my computer is a good video card. It doesn't have to be awesome, just be able to handle dual monitors and simple, what is essentially, game stuff. They won't pony up for more than 250ish. Any suggestions? I know we are about to have new releases from both of the major players making this a bad time to buy. Otherwise my computer is fine...maybe some more ram but whatever. Video card is the topic

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Like you @Dom , I really want the new LG OLED line , but not sure how I would adjust my gaming setup to allow for that big of a screen. I'm currently running 27" and 24" side by side in Landscape. I have a 55" LG OLED C6, so it's a couple years old now at this point, and it's amazing for gaming when I use it with my Steam Link. The new screens with higher refresh rate and G-sync are going to be even more amazing.

Doing a whole shift in my house with a re-model, so maybe the new media room will take the new TV better? Do you really just put it 2 ft in front of you?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Like you @Dom , I really want the new LG OLED line , but not sure how I would adjust my gaming setup to allow for that big of a screen. I'm currently running 27" and 24" side by side in Landscape. I have a 55" LG OLED C6, so it's a couple years old now at this point, and it's amazing for gaming when I use it with my Steam Link. The new screens with higher refresh rate and G-sync are going to be even more amazing.

Doing a whole shift in my house with a re-model, so maybe the new media room will take the new TV better? Do you really just put it 2 ft in front of you?

Provided that the "look" of the setup isn't that important, it's as simple as wall-mounting the TV and just having the desk a few feet out from the wall, which depending on the depth of the desk puts you at 4 feet away which is fine. It looks weird as fuck mind you. When I was doing it with my 49" TV, I was able to have it wall mounted and the desk right up to it at a depth of 26", but playing a fullscreen game on its normal resolution was impractical and uncomfortable, that's why I started using the ultrawide resolution which worked out well.

This is what it looked like before doing the ultrawide res

20181127_083229_HDR - Copy.jpg

To make that work I had to slide the desktop back a foot or so, but it still wasn't enough and I got tired of the finickiness of making it work everytime I wanted to play something.

There's also the option of having it setup like a normal TV and just popping down a little laptop desk in front of it and rolling a desk chair up to it like this whenever you want to play

Code:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RZCG7NB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Provided that the "look" of the setup isn't that important, it's as simple as wall-mounting the TV and just having the desk a few feet out from the wall, which depending on the depth of the desk puts you at 4 feet away which is fine. It looks weird as fuck mind you. When I was doing it with my 49" TV, I was able to have it wall mounted and the desk right up to it at a depth of 26", but playing a fullscreen game on its normal resolution was impractical and uncomfortable, that's why I started using the ultrawide resolution which worked out well.

This is what it looked like before doing the ultrawide res

View attachment 254466

To make that work I had to slide the desktop back a foot or so, but it still wasn't enough and I got tired of the finickiness of making it work everytime I wanted to play something.

There's also the option of having it setup like a normal TV and just popping down a little laptop desk in front of it and rolling a desk chair up to it like this whenever you want to play

Code:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RZCG7NB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
UltraView Desktop Manager: Manage Multiple Monitors & Split Screens maybe?

Break that one monitor into 4 screens when not gaming.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
UltraView Desktop Manager: Manage Multiple Monitors & Split Screens maybe?

Break that one monitor into 4 screens when not gaming.

I'm confused... the screenshots show the exact same UI style as DisplayFusion but it's different software from a different company?

Edit: But yeah, this seems to work the same as DisplayFusion's splitting feature which works for some cases but doesn't really work for games which want to be fullscreen or where you're trying to hide the window title panel. It's just an easier way to arrange windowed programs

Last edited by a moderator:

Argarth

On the verandah
I would be content with just going/sticking with a decent IPS monitor if I didn't really want something capable of good HDR, and also want a decent TV for non-PC related usage. I even considered buying one of those $2k 4k 144hz monitors with FALD but even those have pretty mediocre HDR, aren't hdmi 2.1, and have a loud fan in the panel.

The two primary choices I have are to either:

Buy a nice TV for non-PC usage and buy an expensive - but still inferior - ultrawide monitor (quality wise) for my PC usage and always feel like I should just play on the TV instead

or

Buy a nice TV and combine my PC into its setup and use it as the primary display for everything and just try to find ways to handle the size issue.

As this is all in my living room and I have to manage limited space, combining it all into one setup also gives me a bit more room for other things.

Seems like I grappled with very similar questions before I bought the new monitor, and also because I was buying a new TV at the same time.

Ultimately it came down to how much sitting in front of an UW monitor transformed gaming for me. It all sounds a little romantic I guess, but seeing that portal into the "other world" extend way out into my peripheral vision for the first time really was a big deal. Totally lost any interest in 16:9 gaming, instantly and forever. Part of the illusion for me also depends on that "window" being the same size as the device. So black bars on a 4K screen of any kind are just a no-go for me, at least for gaming.

The new 38" beast has just improved the experience, and the extra vertical pixels make non-gaming use more enjoyable to boot. I've got no complaints, and have just come to accept that HDR, FALD etc. just haven't properly come of age yet for monitors... and of course the prices are fucking ridiculous as you've pointed out.

Again though, a gaming focused UW OLED screen, with the same pixel density and size as the one I have now, would pretty much be gaming Nirvana. I can dream!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
What's an excellent computer monitor that's also going to be good for PS/XBox/Etc gaming as well?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Seems like I grappled with very similar questions before I bought the new monitor, and also because I was buying a new TV at the same time.

Ultimately it came down to how much sitting in front of an UW monitor transformed gaming for me. It all sounds a little romantic I guess, but seeing that portal into the "other world" extend way out into my peripheral vision for the first time really was a big deal. Totally lost any interest in 16:9 gaming, instantly and forever. Part of the illusion for me also depends on that "window" being the same size as the device. So black bars on a 4K screen of any kind are just a no-go for me, at least for gaming.

The new 38" beast has just improved the experience, and the extra vertical pixels make non-gaming use more enjoyable to boot. I've got no complaints, and have just come to accept that HDR, FALD etc. just haven't properly come of age yet for monitors... and of course the prices are fucking ridiculous as you've pointed out.

Again though, a gaming focused UW OLED screen, with the same pixel density and size as the one I have now, would pretty much be gaming Nirvana. I can dream!

Which monitor? You said 38" I'm assuming the LG?

Argarth

On the verandah
Which monitor? You said 38" I'm assuming the LG?

You might have read that and taken it out of context.
From an earlier post "I bought the old model 38WK95C (75Hz/Freesync) several weeks ago..." no HDR or FALD on mine.

(edit: well they do advertise it as HDR, but it's clearly not. Just more marketing nonsense. =)

Last edited:

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You might have read that and taken it out of context.
From an earlier post "I bought the old model 38WK95C (75Hz/Freesync) several weeks ago..." no HDR or FALD on mine =)

Ok. My fault. Thought you bought the LG 38GL950G. I had a TON of questions!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I would preferably like to future proof it. My budget is <2k for the monitor.

Main things to consider for the coming consoles are 4k and high refresh capability in that order of importance. The future consoles are going to be HDMI 2.1 but there aren't any monitors with HDMI 2.1 capability quite yet. You can get one with 2.0b which will let you do most of what 2.1 can, just not all at the same time. For example: You'll be able to do 4k and even some high refresh rate, but not up to the full refresh range.

There's only a handful of 4k monitors that can do high refresh rates:

But I don't know how well they work through HDMI. You might need to look up good monitors for Xbox One X on google for more info.

Truly, I wouldn't recommend monitors for the coming consoles at this time if you're looking for top performance. If you're just OK with only 4k and not high refresh then your selection will increase significantly

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wouldn't expect people to even own a 2.1 cable yet. Or TV/monitor, or GPU/console. They're not out yet and people shouldn't be buying til they are.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
That's the thing: It's just a bad time to buy a display right now. But they want to buy now and try to future proof so that's the only real option right now when it comes to monitors

Personally, if I had to buy a monitor now I'd just get something decent but not future proofed that I could sell used a year later where I'd buy something better and with full 2.1 features

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure when I am gonna make the move but definitely going to be and that 48" is pretty tempting.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user