Desktop Computers

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
If you have access to the drivers you could run literally nearly any code you wanted. And UEFI is super well documented, you could do a lot of scary shit AND these video drivers are already trusted. The system will just blindly load them. The security concerns are pretty immense.

Thinking about upgrading and turning my old desktop into a Linux server.

9900k and 2070 super

Any idea when the next gpu series is coming out?

Ampere has been delayed because NV is waiting to see how AMD does with Big Navi. People are estimating Q3-Q4 now.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
It means the prebuilt is a $1300 tower with well under half the multithreaded performance of a small children's toy coming out before Christmas. Weaker gpu and slower storage too. Baseline of decent performance in pc games is heavily weighed by consoles. It's the reason why most games still run fine with highest settings on 4 core chips, but they won't 1-2 years from now.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
^
Not much of a problem now, but Id reckon by the end of 2021 you will see a noticeable difference between titles ran on 8c/8t CPUs and 8c/16t CPUs as developers will have had time to actually learn and use the hardware.

So if you plan on keeping it for 3-4 years IMO you will be missing out.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
There's only so many cores that games can utilize before what's left over is light tasks that will lag far behind the primary threads. If a game is going to heavily task say 4-6 threads and only lightly task the rest, then you're not going to be gimped all that much by one that can only handle 8.

The reason why multi-threading performances has come to matter so much in the last few years was because the average shit that Intel was putting into the hands of enthusiasts was no longer enough for what programmers of AAA games were now capable of utilizing. Now that 8 core + is the standard, that isn't as much an issue.

So yeah, 5+ years from now you might be wanting more threads: But that's when you'd be in upgrade territory based on IPC limitations alone.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I just don't think that optimizations for 16 threads are realistic even on the consoles. Just because the consoles have hyperthreading doesn't mean games are going to use it.

Also optimizations for console hyperthreading won't automatically be optimizations for the Windows scheduler.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Never, ever underestimate the ability of software developers to use up resources available to them.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Id say theyre built around the most common denominator, not lowest. Which in a year will be PS5/Xboxx.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Id say theyre built around the most common denominator, not lowest. Which in a year will be PS5/Xboxx.
Yeah maybe it would be better to say lowest common denominator instead and combine it.

This is real evident when you look at MMO expansions and people start freaking out because now you need 2 GB of RAM.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I reloaded the OS on my main PC. It's only been a year since the last time, but I've shed a lot of CRAP in the meantime. Now it is frosty and new.

I hit the boot button and this popped up.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
All i need now is an 32-38 inch 4k oled w/ 144hz - Curious on the 3000 series performance, in Destiny 2 w/ everything cranked and HDR w/ 200 hz panel the game is super gorgeous, but still the clarity on my oled alienware laptop cant be beat. I've looked around every now and then for the last year waiting on someone to bring out a oled gaming monitor. I think the only thing close is the LG C9 series, but thats too big =/

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
All i need now is an 32-38 inch 4k oled w/ 144hz - Curious on the 3000 series performance, in Destiny 2 w/ everything cranked and HDR w/ 200 hz panel the game is super gorgeous, but still the clarity on my oled alienware laptop cant be beat. I've looked around every now and then for the last year waiting on someone to bring out a oled gaming monitor. I think the only thing close is the LG C9 series, but thats too big =/
LG has a 48 inch OLED TV coming out, with gsync compatibility.