Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
If the 48" turns out to sell well we might end up seeing something even smaller, but the problem is that it gets harder to manufacture due to fitting the same number of pixels into a smaller space and so the margins get worse due to a higher defect rate or something like that.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Hmm, but there have been a few(not many) oled laptops come out in the past year. However theyve only had 60hz panels. Also OLED and 4k are different tech, so why isnt there an OLED@1080p? and why are there still next to no 1440p gaming laptops.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
We're talking about TV's here where the idea of putting out anything less than the current marketing buzzword spec is going to fall flat immediately. The only 1080p TV's that are made now are ultra-budget models or old panels being put into custom housings by licensed brand names (Sharp/RCA etc...)

1440p is a niche resolution that will only really be relevant in the PC space due to it catching on for monitors before other display markets jumped from 1080 to 4k

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'd like to see LG or someone put out something smaller than the 48" but hard to see it happening anytime soon. If a company was going to bridge the gap I would bet on LG being the one to do it since they are making some pretty nice monitors right now as well.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm still rocking an ivy bridge i5 with a 1060 6gb and have been putting off upgrading for a few years. I do most of my single players on console and use the PC for 4x, strategy games and old mmorpg' s so I've never been in a hurry. I've specced a couple builds in my budget of around 1500 with an i5 9600k or ryzen 3700x + 2070 super that look nice, but the conversation in this thread makes me think I should hold off a little longer.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I'm still rocking an ivy bridge i5 with a 1060 6gb and have been putting off upgrading for a few years. I do most of my single players on console and use the PC for 4x, strategy games and old mmorpg' s so I've never been in a hurry. I've specced a couple builds in my budget of around 1500 with an i5 9600k or ryzen 3700x + 2070 super that look nice, but the conversation in this thread makes me think I should hold off a little longer.
At this point id wait til September when the Ryzen 4000 series should be released. Intel has nothing for the next few years aside from releasing a 10c 9900k.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

I have an i7 7700K with a 1080ti. 32GB's of mem. 3 year olds now? I would normally be upgrading this summer, but in all honesty I can't justify spending the money. Every single game I play I can max out and hit near/above 100FPS at 1440p with gsync on.

The biggest reason I won't upgrade is that I can't swallow the 1200 bucks for a 2080ti. The 2080 super is less than a 10% boost over the 1080ti. So a 2080ti would be the only worthwhile upgrade at this point.

Procs. Me swapping out to accommodate Athlon at this point isn't worth it either.

I'm in a good spot considering. So this year I can play wait and see and not miss a thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At this point id wait til September when the Ryzen 4000 series should be released. Intel has nothing for the next few years aside from releasing a 10c 9900k.
I have an i7 7700K with a 1080ti. 32GB's of mem. 3 year olds now? I would normally be upgrading this summer, but in all honesty I can't justify spending the money. Every single game I play I can max out and hit near/above 100FPS at 1440p with gsync on.

The biggest reason I won't upgrade is that I can't swallow the 1200 bucks for a 2080ti. The 2080 super is less than a 10% boost over the 1080ti. So a 2080ti would be the only worthwhile upgrade at this point.

Procs. Me swapping out to accommodate Athlon at this point isn't worth it either.

I'm in a good spot considering. So this year I can play wait and see and not miss a thing.
Thanks, I'll try to wait, but I may go ahead and upgrade anyway. I just need a machine to play strategy games & mmo's while browsing the internet & streaming youtube or twich in the background. My current machine is so old it can't even do that very well. I'm at least waiting another month or two to make sure the world isn't going to complete shit because of coronachan.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks, I'll try to wait, but I may go ahead and upgrade anyway. I just need a machine to play strategy games & mmo's while browsing the internet & streaming youtube or twich in the background. My current machine is so old it can't even do that very well. I'm at least waiting another month or two to make sure the world isn't going to complete shit because of coronachan.
Were you looking at pre built systems, or at parts to put together?

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I just built a similar system but went with a 2060 super. The other components in your build deserve a better video card

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I just built a similar system but went with a 2060 super. The other components in your build deserve a better video card

2060 or better is OK, too =)

Some dekstop pr0n:

I have a Thermaltake Core P3. It's as nifty as it is dusty, but to mount a triple fan gpu and radiator, you have to use a vertical GPU mount. That has bugged me for a while. So today I did some cabin fever metal work:
comp_01.jpg

I cut out a lot of the metal mounting 3.5" bays (don't need 'em with 3 NVMEs), and there's enough room to fit the radiator in the ~2" case gap. Fans are still mounted on the outside of the "case", but now I can fit the triple fan 2080 without a vertical mount. It's not perfect--the fans are only secured on the right side until I can do some drilling. But it works.
comp_02.jpg
System is a 3900X w/ 16GB HyperX @ 4GHz, EVGA RTX 2080 on an MSI x570 Ace.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
LG has a 48 inch OLED TV coming out, with gsync compatibility.

Have a link to this and know the release date?

I have a nice Samsung TV I use as a Main monitor and it just not good for it. I use it for ps4, TV, pi emulators so its good for that, 3D printing and pc games, but higher speed games it just not fast enough for. My slow pc doesn’t help but I’d like to get someone thing has higher performance more geared towards PC. 48” is fine for me as I sit in a recliner across the room when I feel like getting out of the desk chair.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone got any good deals on servers going around?

I want something like a T series power edge but I missed all the good deals beginning of the year.

Something I can throw a bunch of hard drives and act as a Plex server. If not I'll just cannibalize my desktop. It's a6700k at least

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone got any good deals on servers going around?

I want something like a T series power edge but I missed all the good deals beginning of the year.

Something I can throw a bunch of hard drives and act as a Plex server. If not I'll just cannibalize my desktop. It's a6700k at least
I bet there will be lots of slightly used servers and office chairs pretty soon...

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I think I am going to get a new PC next week.
My current one is 8 years old and showing some age. Using it a lot for working at home and if I get it now I can probably write some of it off. Would also be nice to use it while under a stay at home order.

I don't want to build anything myself.

Local shop as the following for $1325 ish USD once converted from Canuck bucks. I don’t need the best possible deal and would rather support small business at a time like this.

anything obviously out of place for $1300?
Any questions you would ask them as the specs lack details?

Thanks!
  • Intel Core i7 8700 Computer System
  • 4.7GHz
  • 16GB DDR 4 RAM
  • DVD Burner
  • 600 WATT PSU
  • 480 GB SSD
  • 2 TB Hard Drive
  • Windows 10
  • MSI RTX2060 VENTUS 6G OC DDR6, HDMI, 3*DP, VR READY, PCI-E 3.0
  • No Setup Fee
  • 2 Year Warranty

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not sure why they would put an 8700 in that. Current gen is 9700 with new processors due out before the end of the year. That would be my concern

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
If you jump between games alot, as i tend to do, moving to a 1TB main drive is super nice. Also, when was the last time you needed/used an optical drive?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Have a link to this and know the release date?

I have a nice Samsung TV I use as a Main monitor and it just not good for it. I use it for ps4, TV, pi emulators so its good for that, 3D printing and pc games, but higher speed games it just not fast enough for. My slow pc doesn’t help but I’d like to get someone thing has higher performance more geared towards PC. 48” is fine for me as I sit in a recliner across the room when I feel like getting out of the desk chair.

Release date is June'ish.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dumb question but the am4 socket is compatible with 3900x but also the 4000 series? Then it's retiring?

I'm still leaning Intel but I'm also being realistic.