Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Dumb question but the am4 socket is compatible with 3900x but also the 4000 series? Then it's retiring?

I'm still leaning Intel but I'm also being realistic.
Yup, AM4 will run Ryzen 4000 series. Though some mobos might require a bios update so thats dependent on the manufacturer.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea delete the optical, maybe the HDD and go full SSD unless you have some need to store large amounts of data permanently. I went 100% SSD for my last two builds and it's been great. Very fast and with a good case the system is so quiet you can't even tell it's switched on.

8700 is an older part but the difference between it and a 9700 is only a few percent. It's not the latest and greatest, but realistically an 8700 will be fine for a couple more years.

You can also look at a 9400F build if you want a cheaper, current gen intel build.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yup, AM4 will run Ryzen 4000 series. Though some mobos might require a bios update so thats dependent on the manufacturer.
Roger that. Not too worried about BIOS updates but I assume that means putti g an old processor in, updating bios, then putting the new chip in

Fucker

Log Wizard
Roger that. Not too worried about BIOS updates but I assume that means putti g an old processor in, updating bios, then putting the new chip in

Just grab an X570 mainboard. It already supports the 3900, so no CPU swapping needed then the R4's come out.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Modified it closer to what I would be looking for if I were to spend the money. Going for at least 32gb ram, 500gb nvme and a 2070 super. If I don't get the 2070 I'm just going to move my 1060 over and wait a year then splurge on something ridiculous for a video card.

Any reason for that particular motherboard? PC partpicker's parametric filters keep putting a ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard in their builds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Getting the itch to rebuild - I've been running the same "core" PC for 7ish years: i7-2600k, 8GB RAM currently with a GTX 970, and a couple different SSDs etc. Finally feeling like I sorely need a rebuild.

Any specific things I should be waiting for? Should I wait for the 3000 cards? New changes in monitor technology etc... I have zero issue waiting 3-6 months if some massive leaps are coming. Was looking at the 2080s, the higher Ryzen or i7 CPUs to give an idea. I want as flawless as possible for 1440p & 144hz. I'd love 4k, but I know doing that at 144hz is near impossible. Any advice is appreciated, I haven't really been following desktop computing over the last few years mainly because I had a build that was so great for a multiple years. I really want a super badass monitor. I have been using this 29" LG ultrawide I have had for 3-4 years, no idea if I should move off of ultrawide or not. I know the majority of "gaming" displays are the standard ratios.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

I -think- many modern boards can be flashed via USB without needing the whole old processor routine. Seems like that was on a Linus video or GN video recently.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Getting the itch to rebuild - I've been running the same "core" PC for 7ish years: i7-2600k, 8GB RAM currently with a GTX 970, and a couple different SSDs etc. Finally feeling like I sorely need a rebuild.

Any specific things I should be waiting for? Should I wait for the 3000 cards? New changes in monitor technology etc... I have zero issue waiting 3-6 months if some massive leaps are coming. Was looking at the 2080s, the higher Ryzen or i7 CPUs to give an idea. I want as flawless as possible for 1440p & 144hz. I'd love 4k, but I know doing that at 144hz is near impossible. Any advice is appreciated, I haven't really been following desktop computing over the last few years mainly because I had a build that was so great for a multiple years. I really want a super badass monitor. I have been using this 29" LG ultrawide I have had for 3-4 years, no idea if I should move off of ultrawide or not. I know the majority of "gaming" displays are the standard ratios.
I'm in the same boat but using a newer build.

Couple things. Ryzen you'll save money in the upper middle class line, but top end choose your flavor really. Intel is better gaming performance and AMD is better workload performance. Both are fine for either, were talking 5-10% difference.

3000 should've released by now but we might not see them til q4+

Both Intel and AMD have processors lined up for q4. The AMDs will fit in current sockets so you could buy a ryzen now and upgrade again with the 4000

For displays 1440 is the sweet spot if you want 144fps. If you like 60 then you could try 60@4k

Some of these dudes use TV's and I could never ever support that

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Modified it closer to what I would be looking for if I were to spend the money. Going for at least 32gb ram, 500gb nvme and a 2070 super. If I don't get the 2070 I'm just going to move my 1060 over and wait a year then splurge on something ridiculous for a video card.

Any reason for that particular motherboard? PC partpicker's parametric filters keep putting a ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard in their builds.

I don't think the Phantom Gaming 4 has onboard WiFi. Last fall, the Phantom 4 did not have as good RAM support, but it looks like that has been patched.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I guess another roadblock is getting a monitor that would be future proof for the new consoles, and I just don't really see that being possible as I'm already getting annoyed with some performance drops in games already and don't see myself being willing to wait more than 4-5 months.

I can't really see myself going straight TV for the PC stuff. A OLED purchase is coming soon, but that will be for viewing and maybe the occasional steam link/streaming stuff.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Getting the itch to get ready for cyberpunk, right now I'm mostly gaming on my surfacebook 2, thoughts

Those nzxt cases are ok for an apu and might be ok for a blower style gpu. But fan cards screw up their negative pressure air flow and the box can run hot. Youll end up running it with the glass panel off to keep it cool. I would try something else, like a meshify.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Those nzxt cases are ok for an apu and might be ok for a blower style gpu. But fan cards screw up their negative pressure air flow and the box can run hot. Youll end up running it with the glass panel off to keep it cool. I would try something else, like a meshify.
Thanks, I have no experience with cases been reusing my old alienware full tower for years but want something new with the next build.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I have that case but the bigger one and a fan card and don't need to keep the side off. I don't know what you are talking about. Do you have an article about it?

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I have that case but the bigger one and a fan card and don't need to keep the side off. I don't know what you are talking about. Do you have an article about it?

Ran an h500 for a while. Cant speak for the h700s...there might be enough volume inside those that it doesnt matter?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can recommend the Fractal Design Define R6 if you want something that has good cooling and is still very quiet. With a Scythe Mugen 5 cpu cooler I can't even tell it's on most of the time.

• 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Thanks for the feedback.

i do not really need the 2nd HD, i have a 2TB one i can cannibalize from my old machine and a 4TB external.
I run a plex server for my family and hold about 2tb of media for access at any tv in the house.

I was surprised how cheap 2tb SSD are. I think i will go for that.
I like the optical drive as sometimes i go back and play some 90s games like Microprse MTG and Civ4 and still use the discs!

is 32gigs of ram overkill ?

I did mention i like the idea of shopping local but would be open to any suggestion on quality prebuilt machines.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
32 GB ram is good future proofing. It's a little overkill but depends what you do on your PC. Just gaming? You only need 16

My next build will be 32

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I don't think the Phantom Gaming 4 has onboard WiFi. Last fall, the Phantom 4 did not have as good RAM support, but it looks like that has been patched.

I just installed the Phantom 4 in January and it does have an onboard wifi slot but did not come with the chip. It is a great board.

• 1Like