Desktop Computers

Sulrn

Deuces
thought I posted this, guess I forgot to hit post.

I'm looking for a gaming desktop on cyber monday, preferably a barebones or complete. willing to pay a little more now in order not to have to build it myself. anyone have any leads?
I was in the same boat this year and found a lot of prices actually jumped between this week and last week. I priced a rig at higher-mid range for $1500 w/ 24" monitor. Friday the parts went for $1700. Today its going for $1736. Most of the deals I've seen are strictly MIRs and capacity/quality upgrades (1600-1866mhz RAM for instance).

The only decent deals I've seen are on HDD/SSDs, cases, and mobos. If you're sticking with prebuilt, there are a bunch of decent mid range comps that if you're willing to replace GPUs/HHDs. Just google gaming desktop. Otherwise I think you're a few days late for a good deal from what I can find.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
im about to cancel m ram order on newegg, its been 3 days stuck on packaging, i dont want my ram 2 weeks after the rest of my shit since its coming cross fucking country.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Meh, I don't see that as an issue in normal desktop usage. Figure you can get years of use before you have to start worrying about failure.

Edited inestimated lifespan stats.

Endurance scales linearly with NAND capacity, and the worst case scenario at 50 GiB of writes per day is just under 8 years of constant write endurance. Keep in mind that this is assuming a write amplification of 1, if you're doing 50 GiB of 4KB random writes you'll blow through this a lot sooner. For a client system however you're probably looking at something much lower than 50 GiB per day of total writes to NAND, random IO included.

I also threw in a line of lifespan estimates at 100 GiB of writes per day. It's only in this configuration that we see the 120GB drive drop below 4 years of endurance, again based on a conservative p/e estimate. Even with 100 GiB of NAND writes per day, once you get beyond the 250GB EVO we're back into absolutely ridiculous endurance estimates.

Keep in mind that all of this is based on 1129 p/e cycles, which is likely less than half of what the practical p/e cycle limit on Samsung's 19nm TLC NAND. To go ahead and double those numbers and then you're probably looking at reality. Endurance isn't a concern for client systems using the 840 EVO.
rrr_img_51733.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm pretty disappointed so far with Black Friday and Cyber Monday this year. I haven't seen a single thing for sale that was such a great deal that it surprised me, like I have usually multiple times in years past.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've never had anything come in more than 3 days from Newegg. Usually it's the next day.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I'm pretty disappointed so far with Black Friday and Cyber Monday this year. I haven't seen a single thing for sale that was such a great deal that it surprised me, like I have usually multiple times in years past.
Same. Completely lackluster year for deals as far as I'm concerned.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The only reason I haven't bought an EVO is that TLC wears out much faster than MLC.

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Testing data retention at 300TB - The Tech Report - Page 1
The amount that you lose is negligible in normal use. Zodiac's charts up there tell a good story - there's no way you're going to run into endurance issues between the two TLC/MLC before you'd replace it anyways. 100 GiB/day for nearly 8 years for the 250GB?... that is PLENTY long and will likely last much longer cause you probably aren't going to get anywhere near 100 GB/day.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I've never had anything come in more than 3 days from Newegg. Usually it's the next day.
well for me, if its coming from NJ wich is close to me since im in CT its next day or two days, but from cali thats gonna be like a week.

of alllll motherfucking places if i didnt miss those other deals on RAM cause i figured better would pop up monday, bet it wouldent have been from cali! or woulda at least processed/packaged sooner.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I'm running an old i5 2500k and looking to upgrade and I can't find any good deals. I guess I don't need anything. Shame, was hoping to use the spare parts to build a HTPC so I don't have to rely on ROKU+PLEX.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
There really isn't anything out better than the 2500k yet anyway Draegan, especially if yours is overclocked.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I never clocked it because I never really needed to. Anyway I bought a good SSD, and I need to buy an OEM version of win8 anyway.

spronk

FPS noob
Bros, could use a little advice. My brother is one of those people that wants a gaming PC but refuses to let me build one (FUCK HIM).
The dell xps 8700 or inspiron 660 are on sale at various places, can go to slickdeals.net to find the exact deals. I bought a xps 8700 last thursday online from costco for $499, its for family room PC so it won't run anything more than minecraft but could swap out PSU, video card, and put in an SSD and it'd be a great gaming PC. can't OC or do anything fancy but its a solid build with a lot of USB ports and good airflow.

The inspiron 660 is $450 today with coupon, its a pretty barebones system that has mediocre build quality and airflow, wouldn't want to drop in really big video cards into it. But its one option for cheap
Dell Inspiron 660 Core i5 Quad 3.1GHz Desktop PC for $450 + free shipping (regular price: $770.99) - Slickdeals.net

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I've decided to upgrade my aging 4 year old desktop after all, taking advantage of some Cyber Monday discounts. In particular, I will run some CPU intensive simulations on my desktop (parallel-processing code in Python), so I'm looking to get a beefy CPU to handle that. I'll also be running some simulation-based statistical analysis in R, which will also benefit from that. So that's why I'm putting more emphasis on the CPU than might be useful for, say, gaming.

Here are the parts I've come up with, along with the currently discounted prices. I'll take a GTX 660 from my current machine, which has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. So no GPU on this list. However, I like the idea of adding a second GPU to the build should the need arise (I do want to learn some CUDA for GPU processing at some point). I believe the mainboard I picked has room for two, but I'm not entirely certain? With that in mind, here's the build:

CPU:Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150($300)
Mainboard:ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard($200)
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)($140)
SSD:Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5" 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive($145)
PSU:RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-730SS 730W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V($40)
Case:Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced($100)

Coming in just below my $1k spending cap. Any thoughts?

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
Basically in the same boat as others it seems. Waited until cyber monday to finally buy something and nothing worth a damn. I guess maybe I should just pick up a SSD and ram during today's prices and end up building the shit up myself again per usual