Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ok so due to Sony being fucktards I'm not sure I want to reward their stupidity with 500 bucks soooo here I am trying to see what I can build as per @Utnayan suggestion. I work in IT and am totally comfy with building a computer... however it's all in the business space, so I know nothing when it comes to individual components for gaming rigs.

I personally am not a bleeding edge kind of guy and I want to build a sub 1000 (like around 700 or so) system for myself. Then I'd like to see if there are any options for a 500 dollar machine for my gaming buddy to pull him along. I am on pcpartspicker but there is absolutely no context to what I'm actually buying. I want to get something that is comparable to this generation of consoles (PS5/Xbox X), or in other words something that can do 60 fps in decent resolution (I'm even good with 1080p here I'm not picky). I just can't keep up with the numbering scheme and I know I'm not touching anything from this newly released generation so can I get some advice here? I'm good with AMD, I've never had any issues with them when I have used them in the past.
Pretty sure a 2060 Super is fine for 1080p.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah just the box. Already have a TV/Monitor and all of that. And I know this is asking alot so I'm not super expectant. Thanks all, I'll check it out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah just the box. Already have a TV/Monitor and all of that. And I know this is asking alot so I'm not super expectant. Thanks all, I'll check it out.
when is your expected build date, your not far off from november, and barring we don't have 50state riots, you'll get black friday deals, some really good ones if you live near a microcenter

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
when is your expected build date, your not far off from november, and barring we don't have 50state riots, you'll get black friday deals, some really good ones if you live near a microcenter

That would totally work really I am not in a huge hurry and I'd like to see if I can just get a PS5 (especially since my nephew was able to get a pre order yesterday), but yeah I'll check out those 2060/80 supers and the 5700xt

What about CPUs? Is the Ryzen ok? I'm assuming same as intel 3,5,7? 3 is ok but 5 would be a better middle ground. Also if I get a mobo with a rizen 3 CPU could I upgrade to a 5 or 7 down the road with the same mobo?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Computer I'm building was $750 for the CPU, motherboard, ssd drive, case, and memory. I have the rest the keyboard, mice, monitor and graphics card till I buy something else.

amd ryzen 5 3600, 550 tomahawk motherboard, 16gb memory, 1 gb m.2 ssd, power supply, cooler master case came in around $750. I have a lot of junk already that is going in and coming out of my old computer before it gets passed down.

Building it now, haven't built a computer in a while. The motherboard was a lot heavier than my last builds. If you are on a budget for some items you pay more to get it without rgb and such. Guess supply or ??

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
34" VA is very likely to ghost beyond 100Hz anyway. If you're getting 120Hz without issues I'd consider yourself lucky.

I ended up putting an order in for the Sceptre 35" today just to see how it is. I would have gotten the Acer Nitro IPS one instead but the day I decided to pull the trigger Amazon also decided to jack the price $50. And the AOC no longer shows up in stock anymore; when it's available to buy at all the ship date is mid-October. Not too worried about the Sceptre being 100Hz instead of 144Hz for that reason above.

I needed a new VESA setup so I went with this along with the monitor. Will be mounting an older 29" UW on top of it.

I need the clamp, but that company also makes one with a normal base if you prefer it.
Fingers crossed. I just flipped the cable ends, and also switched DP Ports on my 1080Ti, and no flicker in Battlefront 2 on first go. Sooooo... maybe something changed, or the cable was weird? who knows.

Edit: Just set it to 100hz and then 60hz, and Battlefront 2 was still blinking at me, so apparently that's not working either. nVidia control panel is set to 100hz or 60hz, G-sync compatible.

So tried to load up Battlefront 2, and got the black screen flicker again. Whole screen goes black for a few seconds, then it pops back on, over and over. Should I try lowering the res to 100hz? Despite the AOC screen saying it supports 144hz? Doesn't hurt to try it I guess considering I'm having so many problems.

I thought oh, maybe something weird with Battlefront 2, and so I loaded up HZD, a game that has worked fine in the past when set to 120hz, and just a couple minutes in and the screen went black for so long that it popped up "No Signal" and stayed that way until I could get back to windows. As soon as I was back in Windows, the screen came back.

FF14 works fine... wtf? sigh...

Last edited:

Vorph

Freesync flicker is like the backlight is going from dim to bright over and over, it's almost like a shimmering effect on the sides of the screen. Like this:

Your problem sounds like it's losing the signal completely. Only time I've had a problem like that was when my 5700XT was brand new and I had enhanced sync turned on by accident. It would cause the signal to be lost completely and generally required a hard reset to fix though. Can't say I've ever seen it happen where it would turn off and on repeatedly, so I'm not sure what to suggest there besides obvious stuff like trying a different DP cable and doing a clean install of your video drivers.

Crone

Freesync flicker is like the backlight is going from dim to bright over and over, it's almost like a shimmering effect on the sides of the screen. Like this:

Your problem sounds like it's losing the signal completely. Only time I've had a problem like that was when my 5700XT was brand new and I had enhanced sync turned on by accident. It would cause the signal to be lost completely and generally required a hard reset to fix though. Can't say I've ever seen it happen where it would turn off and on repeatedly, so I'm not sure what to suggest there besides obvious stuff like trying a different DP cable and doing a clean install of your video drivers.
Well, it's working a lot better than it has in the past, but it still has the black screen cut outs. Gonna order a new DP cable I guess, and try that?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Well, it's working a lot better than it has in the past, but it still has the black screen cut outs. Gonna order a new DP cable I guess, and try that?

That was happening to me recently and it was the cable. Replaced it with a hdmi 2.1 (I doubt I needed that high but why not) and it went away. No idea what the first cable was, maybe hdmi 1.0 🤷‍♂️

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If your cable doesn't fully support HDCP 2.2 it usually blips eventually. Doesn't matter if it's gaming, streaming, or television swapping to a newer cable does seem to be the fix.

Crone

Just using an Amazon Basics DP cable, as the one that came in the box for my old 27" 1440p 144hz was said to be terrible. Worked great on that screen without any issue, but doesn't seem to work so great on this ultra wide?

Gonna try a different cable and see.

Edit: Ordered a DisplayPort 1.4 cable, so it should have enough bandwidth to be pushing 3440x1440 ultra wide resolution.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just using an Amazon Basics DP cable, as the one that came in the box for my old 27" 1440p 144hz was said to be terrible. Worked great on that screen without any issue, but doesn't seem to work so great on this ultra wide?

Edit: Ordered a DisplayPort 1.4 cable, so it should have enough bandwidth to be pushing 3440x1440 ultra wide resolution.
i did not have good luck w/ amazon cables for hdmi2

i tried a few cables, the ones that worked great are the tried and true monoprice

and they sell through amazon too, so easy shipping

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm

The monitor came with a display port cable right? I dont remember myself as I bought that same monitor. I do have those long blackouts but only when using GSync when gaming, turning gsync off and I never get them. If switching cable works ill order a new one as well. Let us know!

Edit: After looking into it I'm using the cable that came with the monitor, that said it might be a shitty quality anyway. Ordered a new good quality DP cable as I needed a longer one anyway, will see if the black outs go away with that one.

Last edited:

Crone

The monitor came with a display port cable right? I dont remember myself as I bought that same monitor. I do have those long blackouts but only when using GSync when gaming, turning gsync off and I never get them. If switching cable works ill order a new one as well. Let us know!

Edit: After looking into it I'm using the cable that came with the monitor, that said it might be a shitty quality anyway. Ordered a new good quality DP cable as I needed a longer one anyway, will see if the black outs go away with that one.
I get mine tomorrow, and we'll see. I ordered a DP1.4 cable, which is supposed to have the bandwidth to support 8k. I think 32gb/s or something, so I'm confident that this should be enough. Really excited, because man, it's so annoying having those blackouts!

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Reposting the current setup from the 3080 thread. This is how the 3080 fitted into the Define Mini C. I think thermals might become an issue but will try it for a week or two in this case. Any suggestions on a good and not too big a case if I need to switch? I have eyed the Phantec P500a case with the mesh front.

pic1.png

Last edited:

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Reposting the current setup from the 3080 thread. This is how the 3080 fitted into the Define Mini C. I think thermals might become an issue but will try it for a week or two in this case. Any suggestions on a good and not too big a case if I need to switch? I have eyed the Phantec P500a case with the mesh front.

View attachment 304357

Is that eating up FOUR fuckin slots? WTF is that at the bottom?

Aazrael

Man, how heavy are these cards? Is that bracket needed you think? Are you using for slots with it? I have three free, so I am worried.
1370g it seems this one weigh. Not sure if they are needed though.

Edit: Played some Gears 5 for a bit and the GPU went to 77C as the highest but the CPU logged a max spike of like 95C. And thats with an AIO. Could try swap the PSU upside down so it blows some heat out but it seems I need to check for a case, this wont work during the summer I'm guessing. Got a lot cooler in the house right now in autumn.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user