Desktop Computers

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Edit: Played some Gears 5 for a bit and the GPU went to 77C as the highest but the CPU logged a max spike of like 95C. And thats with an AIO. Could try swap the PSU upside down so it blows some heat out but it seems I need to check for a case, this wont work during the summer I'm guessing. Got a lot cooler in the house right now in autumn.

Don't flip the PSU, it would be pulling air out of the same narrow alley your 3080 is pulling from. Never-mind the normal reasons not to. Check how hot cpu gets with an all core stress test, shouldn't get that hot in gaming even with the space heater below it .

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
95C your CPU is throttling. GPU getting up to 77C isn't life-ending but that's creeping up high. I think they throttle at 83C?

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
I don't think you have a lot of options there in that case, since I don't think you can really move your AIO. I'll put in a vote for Lian Li O11 Dynamic - I've got my AIO as an intake on the side, and airflow coming from below with lots of cool air offsets the warmer air coming in through the AIO, then exhaust on the top. 3 fans on top exhaust, 4 fans on the side AIO intake (push/pull 240mm), and 3 on bottom intaking cooler air from the floor - with dust filters on all the intakes, but not exhaust. The same fans, Arctic P12, they're awesome. I tend towards the undervolting/undervoltage way of doing things but 3700X/1080 Ti both never break 55C and totally silent under 100% of scenarios.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Man, how heavy are these cards? Is that bracket needed you think? Are you using for slots with it? I have three free, so I am worried.
if it's too heavy, just cut a chopstick to length and prop up the card

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The 95 was a spike, it seems to sit at 80-85C most of the time. With my old 1070 the CPU never went above 82C with heavy load.

The case is small and the 3080 generates a lot of heat so I think I will order a P500a, mesh front, more room and bigger fans.

Argarth

On the verandah
Fantastic podcast with Wendell.
Even if you have a hate boner for MLID, some real gold in this one, especially in the last half hour or so.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I get mine tomorrow, and we'll see. I ordered a DP1.4 cable, which is supposed to have the bandwidth to support 8k. I think 32gb/s or something, so I'm confident that this should be enough. Really excited, because man, it's so annoying having those blackouts!
Played a few titles yesterday on the new 3080 with Gsync on and the black screens havent popped up since I switched card. Might have been something with my 1070.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not only that I think 8K is getting out of the realm of being a noticeable difference vs 4k in the std ranges of tvs 50"-60", maybe its noticeable on a 120" tv? But I dont have space for one of those.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Control upscaling from 1440p to 8k is insanely good. I haven't been around 8k screens to even know if the difference is noticeable or not at normal sizes.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This is dumb. The average human eye would need to be within 4 feet of a screen that size to be able to notice much of a difference between 8k and 4k. 4K is already wasted for the majority of the distances that people view their standard sized displays.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This is dumb. The average human eye would need to be within 4 feet of a screen that size to be able to notice much of a difference between 8k and 4k. 4K is already wasted for the majority of the distances that people view their standard sized displays.
100%. For TV and movie content, 8K is of no value at all. For gaming there's some slight potential for it due to aliasing and shit like that but still very minimal. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1080p and 4K image on their 65" 4K TV to begin with.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
100%. For TV and movie content, 8K is of no value at all. For gaming there's some slight potential for it due to aliasing and shit like that but still very minimal. Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 1080p and 4K image on their 65" 4K TV to begin with.
The aliasing benefit doesn't stand up when you factor in the performance requirements to do 8k. Might as well just use render scaling at that point.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Got my amd 3600 build finished. Cooler Master NR600 case. It's much much quieter than my old case. I guess over time screws worked loose and rattled, fans got loose and out of balance. Haven't really tried anything yet. Waiting to see what the 3060 cards do if they don't go cheap and have them in stock I'll do something like a 1660 since I'm 1080 anyway and rarely play top tier games. Gonna do some cad and modeling work later and see if I notice a difference. Was using a computer I'd replaced part by part over the years. Ended up on a amd 8350.

Argarth

On the verandah
Any good GPU benchmarks/stress tests I can leave running for like 12 hours (preferably free?)

Plenty configurable and includes GPU Shark stats panel.
(edit. also comes with a CPU burner if you want to load up your entire system)

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Got my Cerberus X in today after a month. Gotta make a distribution block for the dual loop then I can star the assemble.

• 1Like