Desktop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Looks a little bigger than my pure base 500dx and my msi gaming trio x 2080 fits fine if you are talking about GPU size

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Am I likely to have any clearance issues with mid ATX cases like the be quiet! ones? I've never used anything other than full sized before.

How good are the stock AMD coolers? Maybe I don't need the aftermarket one if I'm not planning to OC.

Planning to keep my 1070 for now until the current nvidia situation calms down, also 3000 series are too expensive in AU at the moment.
I've found the Dark Rock 4 to be more than sufficient for anything but the hottest CPUs, the Dark Rock PRO 4 has a much harder time clearing memory.

The pro is just a pain in the ass. I'd mount one on a threadripper or a 10900k but that's it. The non-pro with the single fan cools my 9700K extremely well and I think the 3700X is generally cooler than that.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Am I likely to have any clearance issues with mid ATX cases like the be quiet! ones? I've never used anything other than full sized before.

How good are the stock AMD coolers? Maybe I don't need the aftermarket one if I'm not planning to OC.

Planning to keep my 1070 for now until the current nvidia situation calms down, also 3000 series are too expensive in AU at the moment.
Don't pay that for Windows. Go on Microsoft software swap reddit or eBay and get a much cheaper key that will work just fine.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just Google your case and cooler choice for clearance issues. Sometimes you can get by with lo-pro ram. I didn't do that myself so one of my fans is an extra 120mm fan to fit. I use the DH15 cooler as stated previous.

Also the stock wrath cooler is nice.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Just built a 550 Tomahawk with ryzen 5 3600. It was on the stock cooler for a few days while I waited for my cooler to come in due to virus shipping at the moment blah. Bought win key on ebay as well. However office keys look like scam city on ebay and price has really gone up on reddit for them. Everyone on ebay has exactly 2 reviews, probably themselves.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Just built a 550 Tomahawk with ryzen 5 3600. It was on the stock cooler for a few days while I waited for my cooler to come in due to virus shipping at the moment blah. Bought win key on ebay as well. However office keys look like scam city on ebay and price has really gone up on reddit for them. Everyone on ebay has exactly 2 reviews, probably themselves.

This is exactly my test build and i still get great frames in 4k - cant wait to see how it performs with next gen ryzen.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just Google your case and cooler choice for clearance issues. Sometimes you can get by with lo-pro ram. I didn't do that myself so one of my fans is an extra 120mm fan to fit. I use the DH15 cooler as stated previous.

Also the stock wrath cooler is nice.
Yea the stock cooler does the job but it is noisy, at least mine was. Jet turbine when gaming, might have been the case also that made it spin up a lot.

WIsh I wasnt stuck in the mATX mindset when I upgraded to my 3700x, seeing as I had to go ATX case anyway with the 3080. Missing the USB-C internal connector now, I think the Tomahawk has that and everyone recommended that board back then. Not enough of a annoyance to make me switch board. But will do a better job next time when choosing a motherboard.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
So I never see anyone recommend 120mm AIOs. Is there an issue with them? I was looking at the Arctic Liquid Freeze 240mm, but if space is a concern and I'm not planning on OCing anything would the 120mm version be sufficient?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I never see anyone recommend 120mm AIOs. Is there an issue with them? I was looking at the Arctic Liquid Freeze 240mm, but if space is a concern and I'm not planning on OCing anything would the 120mm version be sufficient?

I assume they run at obnoxiously high RPM. 120MM fans at high RPM make an awful noise.

Crone

Went into my bios and checked some fan settings since I just added and replaced my fans with Noctua ones. Noticed that I have options for the fans to watch main board Temps or cpu Temps. It seems my main board stays cool all the time but of course my cpu heats up. Should I just make them all spin up based on cpu temp?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think basing it off cpu temp will make them run a bit harder/faster, but since the CPU temp will always be hotter than ambient in the case it depends on your needs. If you think your CPU is running hot I'd do that.

Crone

I think basing it off cpu temp will make them run a bit harder/faster, but since the CPU temp will always be hotter than ambient in the case it depends on your needs. If you think your CPU is running hot I'd do that.
Yea, using EVGA Precision XOC (meant for Pascal), I was able to get my idle temps on my 1080Ti from 55C to 30C, so that was pretty cool. Just changed the fan profile to Aggressive, and the lower idle temps I feel are going to be better for it than slightly faster fans.

I'll switch the case fan profile to go based off CPU temp, and hopefully get those ramping up a lot better. As of right now they haven't gone past 600RPM, meanwhile the CPU is will sit at 72C.

Crone

72C idle is absolutely insane. Mine idles at 39C and it's a 3900x which run hot
Sorry, 72C under load while playing some games. Not extreme benchmarks, just normal game playing. Stock Wraith cooler on slightly OC'ed Ryzen 1700.