Desktop Computers

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
My x370 only supports up to the Ryzen 3000 series, hoping those drop a tick or two after this week. Hesitant to buy used, but seems like a nice way to get a higher end 3000 series CPU on the cheap, risks aside.

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Been waiting for the Ryzen chips to decide mobo and card. Stuck with an empty case until then.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
OK... not dead set on it, but just read that it's a good CPU. My current setup is 8 years old, an i5-2500 and have decided it's time to upgrade. I've put it of a few times due to "the next big thing" that is coming. I can wait a while more I guess, but I do want a new puter before my Christmas vacation, so maybe I'll ask again for a recommended setup in a month's time.

Edit: Also, how would an Nvidia 1080 run on an AMD mobo, or would I have to upgrade my GFX card too? Was hoping on just doing the CPU/Mobo/memory now and upgrading other things later.
5600x may be the sweet spot - i would hope review embargo lifts tomorrow since cpu's come out the day after

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
funny ... minus a 3090 and the special cooling stuff, that's my current setup.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I wonder what the tech is. Seems like it might go on the backplate

When i saw it i also thought this - i feel it cools the underside - That aside the AMD chips go on sale tomorrow - do we have a time or do i need to fight sleep till midnight PST for them to go live?

Someone mentioned this video shows up after that video

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When i saw it i also thought this - i feel it cools the underside - That aside the AMD chips go on sale tomorrow - do we have a time or do i need to fight sleep till midnight PST for them to go live?

Someone mentioned this video shows up after that video

it does look like a peltier cooler

4a881e1687319b03f8345718b3079894.png

why is that not a molex tho?

edit
ah figured it out, that 4pin connects to a control box that is supplied with pcie power.

Last edited:

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
One more question. I've never understood the whole RBG craze when it comes to computers. The only reason I can think of having one is to indicate computer heat, i.e. if the computer is cool it would be blue, but rise to yellow if it's hot but not too hot, and red if it were entering dangerous territory.

Is it possible to set it up like that, or are the lights relatively static?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
One more question. I've never understood the whole RBG craze when it comes to computers. The only reason I can think of having one is to indicate computer heat, i.e. if the computer is cool it would be blue, but rise to yellow if it's hot but not too hot, and red if it were entering dangerous territory.

Is it possible to set it up like that, or are the lights relatively static?
You can do that with most of the different RGB softwares. I know iCue does it for sure. You can even base it on different sensors

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Lian Li UNI Fan SL120 3 Pack White - with Controller (ARGB 120mm LED PWM Daisy-Chain) 12UF3W

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I think they do but finding them not being scalped at outrageous prices is impossible

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Newegg had stock of black a few days back for about 6 hours. Well actually they had them all and I posted it in the desktop thread but no one seemed to check it in time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user