Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Below is a pic of all the boards PC Part Picker says is compatible with the O11 D case, which is a ton, but what is your guy's process to pick a motherboard? there are so many. Other than price I guess? I'm not dropping $400 on a Dark Hero, as I'm not an extreme overclocker, but in the $200 price range there are still a lot.

View attachment 325549
i swear off boards that begin w/ "A", asus manages to fuck after a few years, asrock has always been a "value brand to me"

i would get new abit boards when they were released tho, i think i still have a nforce board in storage

but really, it's about brand and features, to be honest a non overclocker could get away w/ a good sub $100 board, if you want to be more "upgrade" proof get a $100+ ish board for 4 ram slots.

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
A couple more questions:

-Can I reuse my current CPU cooler for a new CPU? It is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 so it should obviously work for anything. I'm just not sure if thermal paste is safely removeable from it.
-Can I just plug my old HDD into the new build and not have to buy Windows again? I don't see why this wouldn't work but just covering all my bases.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
A couple more questions:

-Can I reuse my current CPU cooler for a new CPU? It is a Cooler Master Hyper 212 so it should obviously work for anything. I'm just not sure if thermal paste is safely removeable from it.
-Can I just plug my old HDD into the new build and not have to buy Windows again? I don't see why this wouldn't work but just covering all my bases.
Just double check the cooler works with the chipset you will be using it on. Compatible ones are listed right on the Amazon listing for it (I looked today)

Yes

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
A couple more questions:

You can reuse it, just make sure you have whatever bracket you need for the motherboard/CPU combo you end up with. You can clean up the old paste with some alcohol or pick up some cleaner pretty cheap. I know I've still got some of the old artic silver 2 step cleaner that I still use.

You can, but it's not ideal. Best thing is to get a smallish m.2 SSD for your windows install and a few programs, then have everything else on other drives (SSDs for games, HDDs for media). That way you can nuke your windows install whenever necessary with minimal pain.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
A couple more questions:

yes
yes

what cpu/socket are you going from and to?

you can reuse the paste if you want... but most every just cleans and applies a new dab, covid is over so you can find isoprophil to clean the surface(like Denamian Denamian i've been using my 2 tubes of artic clean for 20years tho, so they last)

when ppl "upgrade" everyone wants to start w/ a "clean" slate and that means a new windows install, sure you can just transplant your hdd over and maybe just install new mb drivers.

but thats like having a forklift pick up all your junk from your old apt and dumping it into your new apt.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
yes
yes

what cpu/socket are you going from and to?

you can reuse the paste if you want... but most every just cleans and applies a new dab, covid is over so you can find isoprophil to clean the surface(like Denamian Denamian i've been using my 2 tubes of artic clean for 20years tho, so they last)

when ppl "upgrade" everyone wants to start w/ a "clean" slate and that means a new windows install, sure you can just transplant your hdd over and maybe just install new mb drivers.

but thats like having a forklift pick up all your junk from your old apt and dumping it into your new apt.
Gotcha. I'll just be sticking with the same socket unless I wait long enough to get the new 1200 Intel socket later in 2021. Not sure what PCU I'll be going with but I will know in a few months how supply is looking.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Below is a pic of all the boards PC Part Picker says is compatible with the O11 D case, which is a ton, but what is your guy's process to pick a motherboard? there are so many. Other than price I guess? I'm not dropping $400 on a Dark Hero, as I'm not an extreme overclocker, but in the $200 price range there are still a lot.

View attachment 325549
Process on picking motherboard is really just looking for features you think you need, especially if you're not overclocking. Basically the more expensive the more features you'll get, think things like wifi, more ports, maybe more slots of NVME drives, etc.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gotcha. I'll just be sticking with the same socket unless I wait long enough to get the new 1200 Intel socket later in 2021. Not sure what PCU I'll be going with but I will know in a few months how supply is looking.
looking back on your posts you have a 7700k while running a hyper212 is like driving a corvette on wood wheels

intel is probably not going to have anything for socket 1151 in the next few years and honestly a lot of mb innovations happened now-ish

m2, pci gen 4, etc

youre probably better off buying an AIO or a beefy heatsink like noctua d15 and overclocking that cpu to 5ghz

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A couple more questions:

If you create a Microsoft account and login to it on you existing machine, when you build your new one, just login again and you can transfer your license to your new computer. I just did this yesterday. Was easy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
looking back on your posts you have a 7700k while running a hyper212 is like driving a corvette on wood wheels

intel is probably not going to have anything for socket 1151 in the next few years and honestly a lot of mb innovations happened now-ish

m2, pci gen 4, etc

youre probably better off buying an AIO or a beefy heatsink like noctua d15 and overclocking that cpu to 5ghz
You're saying I should reuse my current CPU? I thought about that but there are almost no motherboards available for that old of a processor. The main reasons I want to do a rebuild is the RAM slots are messed up on my current MOBO and I want to game in 1440p, so I want a better GPU.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You're saying I should reuse my current CPU? I thought about that but there are almost no motherboards available for that old of a processor. The main reasons I want to do a rebuild is the RAM slots are messed up on my current MOBO and I want to game in 1440p, so I want a better GPU.
3 years ago, so you currently have a gtx 1070 maybe?, while currently the insane gpu market is dropping, a 1070 is still pretty good

but no, i'm not saying reuse your old cpu, it just sounded like you wanted to stick with socket 1151, you haven't even laid out what kind of plan you want, just know sparse info of wanting to reuse a hyper 212

so i'm guessing now you want a ryzen build, so the answer is no you won't be able to re-use your hyper 212 from 2017, it would have been rare for it to come with an am4 brace.

ryzen chips come w/ the wraith cooler anyway, which is about on par with a hyper 212, it'll be servicable.

Jovec

?
What is wrong with your RAM slots?

GPU availability makes this a bad time to do a full upgrade. Ryzen 5000 are great gaming CPUs, but they are going to be the last supported CPUs in the current socket. You will need a mobo upgrade for Ryzen 6000. Intel Comet Lake (10XXX) are also great gaming CPUs (a bit slower on average than Ryzen 5000), but current LGA1200 mobos don't have the latest features (PCIe4). If you wait for Rocket Lake from Intel next year, you should be able to get PCIe4 and the CPUs are rumored to match/pass Ryzen 5000 for gaming. And GPU availability is still terrible.

For gaming, GPU is still the most important component. Your 7700k can easily game at 1440p with the right GPU. Upgrade that first if you can find one. Upgrade your cooler to a larger air cooler (NH-D15/D15s, U14s) or 280/360 AIO and (learn to) overclock your CPU. Check your case for compatibility first for the cooler you plan to get. You could even add a NVMe drive using an $20 adapter board if your current mobo doesn't support it natively* though it should IIRC. New GPU, new Cooler, and NMVe driuve can all be brought forward to a new build in the future.

Start with the above, than upgrade when/if you need more performance. Numbers from review sites must be taken in context. Most gaming CPU reviews will use a 2080ti/3080 or better to help show differences in CPU performance. If you are running a 2070 or lower, the differences between CPUs will be smaller. Your 7700k might be 30% slower than a 10600k/5600 with a 3080, but maybe only 15% slower with a cheaper GPU.

*I did this on my older AMD 8350 and Intel 4790k systems. Forces the GPU down to x8 mode, but that doesn't really matter with most current GPUs. I used a modified bios on both to add boot support for NVMe drives.

Last edited:

Jovec

?
ryzen chips come w/ the wraith cooler anyway, which is about on par with a hyper 212, it'll be servicable.

Depends.

5800x, 5900x, 5950x - no cooler included
5600x - Wraith Stealth included
3800xt, 3900xt, 3950x - no cooler included
3700x, 3800x - Wraith Prism (decent if loud)
3600xt, 3600x, 3600x and lower - Wraith Stealth

Mountain Biker

Trakanon Raider
What's wrong with my RAM: my PC won't boot up unless the RAM is in slots 1&2.

When I initially built the pc I didn't know the RAM usually works best in slots 1&3 so I installed it in 1&2. A year or so ago I went to upgrade my RAM and discovered that it won't boot up in any configuration other than 1&2. I bought fairly high end RAM too, but I don't think my MOBO was still under warranty.

So my question is, how much performance is lost by the RAM being in the wrong slots? I don't remember exactly which RAM I have but it's Gskill Ripjaw, 32gb, two sticks, and probably about 3200 speed.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Have you checked your mobo manual if it allows that configuration? Some are 1&2 and some are 1&3 if not using all slots

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

When I initially built the pc I didn't know the RAM usually works best in slots 1&3 so I installed it in 1&2. A year or so ago I went to upgrade my RAM and discovered that it won't boot up in any configuration other than 1&2. I bought fairly high end RAM too, but I don't think my MOBO was still under warranty.

So my question is, how much performance is lost by the RAM being in the wrong slots? I don't remember exactly which RAM I have but it's Gskill Ripjaw, 32gb, two sticks, and probably about 3200 speed.
try 2 & 4

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Depends.

5800x, 5900x, 5950x - no cooler included
5600x - Wraith Stealth included
3800xt, 3900xt, 3950x - no cooler included
3700x, 3800x - Wraith Prism (decent if loud)
3600xt, 3600x, 3600x and lower - Wraith Stealth
yea, cuz a 5950x would laugh at a 212 being installed on top of it

Fucker

Log Wizard

Exactly no performance difference.