Desktop Computers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Intel® Core™ i9-10900X Processor (10X 3.70 GHz /19.25MB L3 Cache)

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 - 10GB GDDR6X (VR-Ready)

Then 32gb ram, 6TB SSD, and other stuff. Everything is RGB as well.

That’s exactly what I got from Newegg minus 5 TB of HD. It’s slick.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
In a world where the 5800x exists, I just can't fathom why people would use a 10900k. To say nothing of the 5900x and 5950x. But, to each their own.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Because 1) Historical Intel domination and marketing, 2) SI pricing agreements with Intel to undercut AMD/be exclusive

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
BCD74FA1-1D40-4511-92AD-1AE11A63DD86.jpeg

Ahhhhhhhh!!!! So much sooner than expected!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This is is flying though, it made it through both QC checks today and is off to be packaged. I spent the extra to have the form fitting foam used to wrap it all.

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
This is is flying though, it made it through both QC checks today and is off to be packaged. I spent the extra to have the form fitting foam used to wrap it all.

Sounds pretty stupid that you should have to pay extra to have it properly packaged to ensure it isn't damaged in transit. Bake that in to the cost of the machine if it's necessary, otherwise it sounds like a way to extract a few more dollars from suckers.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Sounds pretty stupid that you should have to pay extra to have it properly packaged to ensure it isn't damaged in transit. Bake that in to the cost of the machine if it's necessary, otherwise it sounds like a way to extract a few more dollars from suckers.
They have their normal package but this stuff gets into the assembled computer and form fits the whole inside so nothing wiggles. All the builders I’ve seen charge extra for it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I'm a bit late with the update, but figured i'd post where I ended up...

at the end of May, I "won" the Newegg Shuffle lotto... and got a ASUS TUF 3080 OC + monitor combo.
I quickly built the box I was speccing out around that card, though that was not the card of my dreams (looking at you, white 3080 Rog Strix!)

5900x
GByte B550 Vision D-P
32GB Corsair Dominator 3600 C18
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M2 (OS)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M2 (Games & Apps)
EVGA SuperNOVA GM 850W 80+ Gold SFX PSU
Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 RGB White
Lian Li Uni SL120 Case Fan 3 pack (x3)
Lian Li O11-D Mini Snow White Case
Lial Li Strimer Mobo and GPU RGB extension cables
LG 38WN95C-W 38" Ultrawide 1440p Monitor
Glorious Model O Wireless Mouse
Logitech G915 TKL

**almost forgot, I got the Kanto YU2 and Sub8 as well. Wasn't happy with the tinny sound of the YU2s until I found a review suggesting that I download Equalizer APO and the Peace UI overlay. OMG quality of life boost. how did I live without this in the past? My old speakers (Logitech Z2300 - still bangin) and headphones (steelseries arctis 7) sound so much better, too.

yes, I know that I spent *way* too much, but I'm happy with it!
it's my first build since around 2013 or so, upgraded from my i4790k, 16GB ram, 980 GTX

forgive the cable management and messy 2nd cubby with my old PC and boxes, I'm still tweaking some things before I sleeve/hide everything

stock clocks, for now. just XMP and PBO enabled in bios.
it runs like a beast!

I had wanted to do a custom loop, but all the parts @ EK add up to over 1 grand. maybe down the road once I've washed enough dishes to pay off my accumulated wife-debt for the current rig config

ok, queue the "omg pc so white" roast!

20210623_140923.jpg

20210625_094257.jpg

20210625_094232.jpg

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm a bit late with the update, but figured i'd post where I ended up...

at the end of May, I "won" the Newegg Shuffle lotto... and got a ASUS TUF 3080 OC + monitor combo.
I quickly built the box I was speccing out around that card, though that was not the card of my dreams (looking at you, white 3080 Rog Strix!)

5900x
GByte B550 Vision D-P
32GB Corsair Dominator 3600 C18
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M2 (OS)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB (Games & Apps)
EVGA SuperNOVA GM 850W 80+ Gold SFX PSU
Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 RGB White
Lian Li Uni SL120 Case Fan 3 pack (x3)
Lian Li O11-D Mini Snow White Case
Lial Li Strimer Mobo and GPU RGB extension cables
LG 38WN95C-W 38" Ultrawide 1440p Monitor
Glorious Model O Wireless Mouse
Logitech G915 TKL

**almost forgot, I got the Kanto YU2 and Sub8 as well. Wasn't happy with the tinny sound of the YU2s until I found a review suggesting that I download Equalizer APO and the Peace UI overlay. OMG quality of life boost. how did I live without this in the past? My old speakers (Logitech Z2300 - still bangin) and headphones (steelseries arctis 7) sound so much better, too.

yes, I know that I spent *way* too much, but I'm happy with it!
it's my first build since around 2013 or so, upgraded from my i4790k, 16GB ram, 980 GTX

forgive the cable management and messy 2nd cubby with my old PC and boxes, I'm still tweaking some things before I sleeve/hide everything

stock clocks, for now. just XMP and PBO enabled in bios.
it runs like a beast!

I had wanted to do a custom loop, but all the parts @ EK add up to over 1 grand. maybe down the road once I've washed enough dishes to pay off my accumulated wife-debt for the current rig config

ok, queue the "omg pc so white" roast!

View attachment 360410

View attachment 360411

View attachment 360412

I think it looks great; just add a picture/art to that empty wall. Who uses the poor-people side of the desk?

Thanks for the monitor btw!

• 1Like

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just got confirmation, my computer will be here on Tuesday the 6th...a full 6 weeks early.

My new desk and chair won't even be here till the following week lol.

• 1Solidarity

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
ROFL @ poor people side.

the desk is a relatively new build as well... I bought a 8' solid walnut butcherblock from Home Depot and applied a bunch of matte varathane coats to it, and expanded the desk to a double seater.

my wife insisted that my setup was too big and bulky right next to the door, so she put me in the corner.
the left station was supposed to just be for her business bookkeeping use w a laptop, but I moved my old desktop rig there for some easy file hot-swapping while building the new box, and just haven't disassembled it yet. maybe it'll be a dedicated game server rig or something. I've got my backup 24" IPS in use since the 28" Rog Swift is starting to flicker.

It looks a little bit cleaner today without boxes piled up everywhere.
1625074016595.png

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My i7 7700k in a couple games is pegging 100% (See New World).

What's the best bang for your buck build right now? I want to go AMD, and AIO water cooling. I have a video card. So I want:

Ryzen 5xxx?
B550 MB? Which brand?
DDR4 mem I have, 3200 32G. Do I need newer mem?
AIO cooler for proc. I can't find a 360mm by corsair for that proc.
I do want a new modular power supply. What brand?
Case I have.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I would have bought an Ikea Karlby 98" tabletop long ago had they not been out of stock and unshippable during all of last year.
my concerns with the Karlby were the low density with a big heavy monitor and a relatively small mounting bracket, or that it might bow over time as my previous IKEA tops had... the Ergrotron HX solves most of that, but the solid top helps too.
I was actually first considering getting the LG CX48 for use as my monitor, and was picturing all of this leverage being applied to a tiny surface area of the composite desk... the Ergo HX is likely overbuilt for my use, but I love it.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I had a friend of mine custom build two custom desks (6' and 4' respectively) using black walnut from my grandparents farm. He got a local welder to make the bases. I'll hunt for a pic.

Here's the 6' desk. The 4' is identical:

IMG_62245196BA30-1.jpeg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Butcher block is the way to go. I would have done the same thing. You cannot buy good furniture these days without spending thousands and MDF is , well, MDF, its shit. That butcher blcok will last you a lifetime, and probabaly your kids will use it after youre done with it if you have any.

My kid was looking for a desk for his set up and I was lucky to score a "writing desk" from Costco for $250ish. ITs shit wood, probably poplar or some shit but at least its solid, with solid legs and one drawer.

I was lucky to score my desk from my parents. Its an old 70s desk, solid oak bottom, dove tail drawers, and a solid Formica wrapped top. This thing would probably be thousands today to buy.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My i7 7700k in a couple games is pegging 100% (See New World).

What's the best bang for your buck build right now? I want to go AMD, and AIO water cooling. I have a video card. So I want:

Ryzen 5xxx?
B550 MB? Which brand?
DDR4 mem I have, 3200 32G. Do I need newer mem?
AIO cooler for proc. I can't find a 360mm by corsair for that proc.
I do want a new modular power supply. What brand?
Case I have.
That depends how high end you wanna go. 5800x 8/16 or even higher with a 5900x which is 12/24? Both are available now last time I checked.

Mo bo you have a choice of B550 or x570. I think the x570s are better and newer. And as to what to get here, well thats a wide fucking choice again based on price.

Ram is all set

AIO you can also check out other brands too. Corsair is not the only choice out there. Many many brands that make quality shit. NZXT, Artic, Cooler Master.... just check some reviews.

• 1Like