Desktop Computers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Thats an intel socket. And no one needs a $350 mo bo.

Need GIF by memecandy

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
That depends how high end you wanna go. 5800x 8/16 or even higher with a 5900x which is 12/24? Both are available now last time I checked.

Mo bo you have a choice of B550 or x570. I think the x570s are better and newer. And as to what to get here, well thats a wide fucking choice again based on price.

Ram is all set

AIO you can also check out other brands too. Corsair is not the only choice out there. Many many brands that make quality shit. NZXT, Artic, Cooler Master.... just check some reviews.
Brahma Brahma
the Mobo you should get is the one that suits your use.
Each board has slightly different perks.. VRM, onboard IO, etc.

B550 is actually newer than X570, if I recall correctly
X570 is generally more expensive than B550, as I believe B550 was intended to be a leaner version with most of the same perks (PCIE 4.0)

I don't plan to run more than 1 GPU, and I didn't need more than 2 PCIE Gen 4 M2 slots (nobody really does in most use cases), so B550 made sense to me.
of course, I didn't end up getting anything resembling a budget Mobo, even with B550

you can always get a PCIE card expansion to hold and cool multiple M2 drives, as well.
at the end of the day, with a good CPU, GPU, and RAM, your mobo doesn't need to be super sexy. just natively support your hardware and have a decent bios.

check out pcpartpicker.com and socket in some components that you know you'll include with your build, and see what other people went with.

AIOs are relatively similar as well. Gamers Nexus has some good vids comparing lots of them

a bit of a tangent, but I'll say this... Lian Li UNI Fans cut down so much cable management that I won't use anything else until other fans figure out how to daisy chain multiple units with only 1 set of cables. I'd probably swap out any other fan just to make the ease of install better.
this was the back of my box with my 980 GTX and before adding the 8-pin Strimer to the mix, and it's ALL UNI fans.. still frustrating cablepasta

1625087951792.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I finally built a computer with zero problems for once in my life. Usually I have to troubleshoot and reinstall shit but not this time. Went from a 6700k to a 5900x and holy shit what a difference. My games are loading fast as fuck now. Can't believe how smooth everything is. Here's hoping it lasts for 5-7 years.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Brahma Brahma
the Mobo you should get is the one that suits your use.
Each board has slightly different perks.. VRM, onboard IO, etc.

B550 is actually newer than X570, if I recall correctly
X570 is generally more expensive than B550, as I believe B550 was intended to be a leaner version with most of the same perks (PCIE 4.0)

I don't plan to run more than 1 GPU, and I didn't need more than 2 PCIE Gen 4 M2 slots (nobody really does in most use cases), so B550 made sense to me.
of course, I didn't end up getting anything resembling a budget Mobo, even with B550

you can always get a PCIE card expansion to hold and cool multiple M2 drives, as well.
at the end of the day, with a good CPU, GPU, and RAM, your mobo doesn't need to be super sexy. just natively support your hardware and have a decent bios.

check out pcpartpicker.com and socket in some components that you know you'll include with your build, and see what other people went with.

AIOs are relatively similar as well. Gamers Nexus has some good vids comparing lots of them

a bit of a tangent, but I'll say this... Lian Li UNI Fans cut down so much cable management that I won't use anything else until other fans figure out how to daisy chain multiple units with only 1 set of cables. I'd probably swap out any other fan just to make the ease of install better.
this was the back of my box with my 980 GTX and before adding the 8-pin Strimer to the mix, and it's ALL UNI fans.. still frustrating cablepasta

View attachment 360460
Power delivery is definitely something in the computer space that needs love and thought, there are far too many cables in computers.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Actually i think hardware unbox said the X570 gaming was one of the worse x570 boards no?

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
if you use a ton of SATA connections and plan multiple m2 drives and pci cards, or if you need a lot of specific IO ports etc, you want to do your research to make sure your board will support your use.

otherwise, you should be fine with a good midrange board. don't need to go too deep down the rabbit hole.

not all boards are equal across the same platform (x570, b550, etc)

just get good vrm and slots that support your hardware utilization. don't need to get "the best x570" if you wont use its features

there are lots of good writeups, this one was decent: B550 vs X570 Differences Explained: Which to Buy? (FAQ)

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Did this at begining of the month - you can see the wires fell - need a better way to keep them from falling than the dual sided tape strips.

62A1BC58-431D-47F6-B769-43AB3F0123CD.jpeg
R]
320D733E-3333-4485-AF3F-CBFE42D53520.jpeg

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm a bit late with the update, but figured i'd post where I ended up...

at the end of May, I "won" the Newegg Shuffle lotto... and got a ASUS TUF 3080 OC + monitor combo.
I quickly built the box I was speccing out around that card, though that was not the card of my dreams (looking at you, white 3080 Rog Strix!)

5900x
GByte B550 Vision D-P
32GB Corsair Dominator 3600 C18
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M2 (OS)
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M2 (Games & Apps)
EVGA SuperNOVA GM 850W 80+ Gold SFX PSU
Lian Li Galahad AIO 240 RGB White
Lian Li Uni SL120 Case Fan 3 pack (x3)
Lian Li O11-D Mini Snow White Case
Lial Li Strimer Mobo and GPU RGB extension cables
LG 38WN95C-W 38" Ultrawide 1440p Monitor
Glorious Model O Wireless Mouse
Logitech G915 TKL

**almost forgot, I got the Kanto YU2 and Sub8 as well. Wasn't happy with the tinny sound of the YU2s until I found a review suggesting that I download Equalizer APO and the Peace UI overlay. OMG quality of life boost. how did I live without this in the past? My old speakers (Logitech Z2300 - still bangin) and headphones (steelseries arctis 7) sound so much better, too.

yes, I know that I spent *way* too much, but I'm happy with it!
it's my first build since around 2013 or so, upgraded from my i4790k, 16GB ram, 980 GTX

forgive the cable management and messy 2nd cubby with my old PC and boxes, I'm still tweaking some things before I sleeve/hide everything

stock clocks, for now. just XMP and PBO enabled in bios.
it runs like a beast!

I had wanted to do a custom loop, but all the parts @ EK add up to over 1 grand. maybe down the road once I've washed enough dishes to pay off my accumulated wife-debt for the current rig config

ok, queue the "omg pc so white" roast!

View attachment 360410

View attachment 360411

View attachment 360412

Nice, but get that poor tower off the floor.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Nice, but get that poor tower off the floor.
why so? it's got plenty bottom/front/back clearance for flow. the backside of the case could have more breathing room, but there's just no space for it on the desk tho. you'd think with 8+ feet of space that i'd have room for a "mini" tower. i guess I could put it up on the rolling rack I'm using for the other tower, but I'm already having a hard time fitting inside my desk without adding more bulk.

I think I've got to turn it sideways and push it to the back.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
More about dust than air flow.

Mine is on a milk crate and I notice 100% less dust.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Cheap homemade desk.

I buy solid core doors with no hole. Pretty cheap then I paint them for desk I use for drawing. Cut one down and make two into a 90. One for the computer and other for drawings. Just make legs out of 2x4's.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Cheap homemade desk.

I buy solid core doors with no hole. Pretty cheap then I paint them for desk I use for drawing. Cut one down and make two into a 90. One for the computer and other for drawings. Just make legs out of 2x4's.
Just moved in yesterday and bought a sit stand desk for the wife, ha. Decided to get an electric desk that moves the whole des instead of an add on, on top.

Its fast 10seconds from lowest to highest setting, its cheap mdf but looks fine, if its really rrible i ll take your solid door idea and just lay it on top.

But i really like raising it all the way high and working underneath it without being the oceans 11 asian contortionist

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My i7 7700k in a couple games is pegging 100% (See New World).

What's the best bang for your buck build right now? I want to go AMD, and AIO water cooling. I have a video card. So I want:

Ryzen 5xxx?
B550 MB? Which brand?
DDR4 mem I have, 3200 32G. Do I need newer mem?
AIO cooler for proc. I can't find a 360mm by corsair for that proc.
I do want a new modular power supply. What brand?
Case I have.
5800x is probably in a good spot if the price is still discounted on it. It had a period there where it didn't make a lot of sense at its pricepoint, considering the performance gain of a 5900x over it. I think the 5800x might be in the "best bang for your buck" category now if it's still discounted $50 over its original MSRP.

Memory is probably fine. You probably won't notice enough of a difference hopping up to 3600mhz memory to justify the cost. If you already have 3200mhz, I'd just keep it.

I have a 240mm AIO and I typically idle around 35-39c, with load between 47-50c (these are package temps - cores are lower). If I play a super CPU intense game I can sometimes get spikes in the 60-65c range (again, package temps), but that's about as high as I've seen it. So, I wish I had gone with a 360 just because I'm super anal about cooling, but a 240 is definitely not bad.

Corsair undoubtedly makes the best/most reliable PSUs, but Cooler Master and !be quiet are a decent alternative.

As far as MBs go, I'd definitely stick to ASUS or MSI. I like the BIOS of MSI the best, but I personally have an ASUS and had terrible luck with Gigabyte (although, my last PC build was a Gigabyte and ran fine). I'd honestly stick to B550, unless you just absolutely have to have X570 features. I feel like you're paying a lot for shit you mostly don't need by using an X570 board, but it's entirely up to you. Go with the one with the best features/rear I/O that's relevant to your setup/needs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I reeealy want the Liquid Devil Ultimate to finish off my desktop - Why is the price still so god dam stupid - I have a unopened 6900XT i refuse to use because the LD version looks better than all the other water blocks