Desktop Computers

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
those new UNI AL fans are sweeeeet. I definitely like the look of their RGB better than the SL.
too bad I just installed 9 SLs into my box so recently, or I'd be tempted to get em!

However, I still don't know if there's any solution to my mobo seeing the UNI fan USB controller as an ejectable device
it got on my nerves at first, but it's easy to just ignore
1625862731013.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I must have shit luck with Samsung Drives - one of my 980 Pros i picked up in November randomly died during some BDO - the game started to freak out then suddenly closed - i rebooted and the drive was just gone. I took my water loop apart a bit just to take out the drive and put it in an nvme enclosure and test it elsewhere but then it worked. I put it back in the PC and it worked fine.

However only 2 things can be said from this - the NVME slot may fail or the drive may fail - to avoid either i may replace both if it happens again. Grab a couple of the FireCuda 530s and maybe a Dark Hero - For now i backed up the drive incase it happens again - if so it will be strike 2 and youre out for Samsung - actually Samsung SSDs are the only ones ive ever had fail outside some super cheap crucial bottom tier 120GB from some years back

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I must have shit luck with Samsung Drives - one of my 980 Pros i picked up in November randomly died during some BDO - the game started to freak out then suddenly closed - i rebooted and the drive was just gone. I took my water loop apart a bit just to take out the drive and put it in an nvme enclosure and test it elsewhere but then it worked. I put it back in the PC and it worked fine.

However only 2 things can be said from this - the NVME slot may fail or the drive may fail - to avoid either i may replace both if it happens again. Grab a couple of the FireCuda 530s and maybe a Dark Hero - For now i backed up the drive incase it happens again - if so it will be strike 2 and youre out for Samsung - actually Samsung SSDs are the only ones ive ever had fail outside some super cheap crucial bottom tier 120GB from some years back
Maybe it hit a thermal limit and had to cool down before it would work again?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I thought that, it wouldn’t come back after being turned on and off a few times. However it worked fine when I took it out and checked it out in another pc via enclosure.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Weird. My 980 Pro has worked perfectly for a few years.

Fucker

Log Wizard

Windows update narfed the 2nd NVME slot for my particular fucking mainboard. Turned on the PC and it wasn't there. I figured dead ssd. Ordered a new one. MS pushed a fix the day the new ssd came in, but I'd figured it out by then. Fucking MS.

I have a lot of Samsung drives, no bad ones yet. Only failures so far....Sandisk and a Mushkin.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Weird. My 980 Pro has worked perfectly for a few years.
The 980 Pro came out in like September 2020 :D Perhaps youre thinking the 970 or 960? That aside id been buying WDBlacks for a while but when i was building this the WD 850 hadnt come out yet so i had to slum it for a Samsung, the only thing worse would be putting Asus back in my machines!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The 980 Pro came out in like September 2020 :D Perhaps youre thinking the 970 or 960? That aside id been buying WDBlacks for a while but when i was building this the WD 850 hadnt come out yet so i had to slum it for a Samsung, the only thing worse would be putting Asus back in my machines!

It might actually be a 950 if that’s a thing.

Jovec

?
those new UNI AL fans are sweeeeet. I definitely like the look of their RGB better than the SL.
too bad I just installed 9 SLs into my box so recently, or I'd be tempted to get em!

I picked up another set of SL120s, but the white color temperatue does not match my other ones.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
ok, I'm genuinely confused here...

I noticed that my frames seemed rather low, so I checked my monitor settings and found that windows has locked me to 60/75hz on my brand new 120/144hz 38" LG.
I'm using the same DP 1.4 cable that I initially set the system up with, and it worked at 120/144hz to begin with. I'm not sure when it reverted to 60/75.

I tried a driver update by DLing the newer driver from LG's website and pointing the updater to its location, but windows says I have the newest driver.
I cant imagine why itd be the monitor driver anyway, as it worked when I first built the system.

what am I missing? I guess I could try to swap out the DP cable, but I'm not 100% sure I have another 1.4, and I don't know why the current one would suddenly not work ...

should I disable the device and re-plug it into another DP port and let windows identify it via generic PNP?
I'm so used to things just working... I hate troubleshooting!

Screenshot 2021-07-12 143945.png
Screenshot 2021-07-12 144207.png
Screenshot 2021-07-12 144217.png

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

I noticed that my frames seemed rather low, so I checked my monitor settings and found that windows has locked me to 60/75hz on my brand new 120/144hz 38" LG.
I'm using the same DP 1.4 cable that I initially set the system up with, and it worked at 120/144hz to begin with. I'm not sure when it reverted to 60/75.

I tried a driver update by DLing the newer driver from LG's website and pointing the updater to its location, but windows says I have the newest driver.
I cant imagine why itd be the monitor driver anyway, as it worked when I first built the system.

what am I missing? I guess I could try to swap out the DP cable, but I'm not 100% sure I have another 1.4, and I don't know why the current one would suddenly not work ...

should I disable the device and re-plug it into another DP port and let windows identify it via generic PNP?

Something change on tv? Have another 144hz monitor to check it with?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Higher resolutions require larger bandwidth cables/ports. Do you have a 1.4 DP on your card and a 1.4 DP cable? Even if you do, max refresh at that resolution with a 1.4 is 140.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Higher resolutions require larger bandwidth cables/ports. Do you have a 1.4 DP on your card and a 1.4 DP cable? Even if you do, max refresh at that resolution with a 1.4 is 140.
card is rtx 3080, cable is 1.4 DP aftermarket cable. same one I used to build the system a month ago, and I ran at 120hz no prob back then.

this monitor had no probs running at 144 previously, and is rated to do so with DP 1.4

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
card is rtx 3080, cable is 1.4 DP aftermarket cable. same one I used to build the system a month ago, and I ran at 120hz no prob back then.
Does the monitor have an HDMI 2.1 slot? You could try that and see what happens.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
yeah, I have another 144hz monitor to test, it's just stored inconveniently so I haven't pulled it out yet. it has a flicker in the backlight, but it should still run at the correct frequency.

as for a HDMI 2.1, yes it does, but I haven't tried it bc GSync Compatibility doesn't work via HDMI on this monitor

From the article I linked previously:
The LG 38WN95C-W has an outstanding refresh rate. It has native FreeSync support, and it's certified by NVIDIA to be G-SYNC compatible too. You can achieve the 144Hz refresh rate and get G-SYNC support only over a DisplayPort connection. Over HDMI, the VRR range is limited to 48-75Hz, and it only supports FreeSync.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
ok, just to eliminate the obvious, I swapped out the DP 1.4 cable, and I'm mostly back to normal frequency options.
really strange, because I was using the same DP cable since I first built the computer, and it was running at 144hz originally, so I have no idea why it would not be doing so now.

anywho, I'm back above 75hz, but my options are still not whole numbers. is this normal?
1626131444596.png

*edit* just read up more and I guess its normal.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user