Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I got Amazon to let me return the cable, even though I ordered it on May 2 and the return window is expired.
What's funny is, they charged me a restocking fee. I was like, I told you this thing is not functional as advertised and should be treated as defective, not resold.
Amazon gonna Amazon. I'll take $19 of my $22 dollars and spend them on toilet paper or something they cant fuck up.
you should call during off peak hours next time, you get the dumbass indian customer service and they just refund you

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
looks cool, and I do love the Nintendo aesthetic, but I think I'd prefer to stick with a controller that the games I'm looking to play are specifically designed to be played on.

i don't own a switch, and as PC focused as I've been, the Xbox and PS console ergos are more familiar to me.
ps4 controller too pc is stupid having to use ds4 windows, i believe ps5 controller is just plug n play now tho

8bit do pro2 is so easy to connect to pc now, just switch to button.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm too lazy to keep trying things, but I can get to 4000/2000 stable with 2 dimms in (all the way to 4400/2000), but 3600/1800 is max with all 4 (or 3400/1700 with 2 dimms in the "wrong" slots). Sucks I could've saved a decent bit getting 3600 ram instead of the 4133 I bought. I guess the bright side is I was able to get relatively aggressive with the timings, got down to 14-14-14-30, think I could go further if I wanted to take some time
I honestly don't know why you'd go above 3600 anyways - even 3600 is borderline overkill. You really aren't going to notice any difference going from 3600 to 4k+ in any sort of typical scenario, especially with a 5900x, since RAM is essentially just helping your CPU access data faster. All those "FASTEREST RAM EVARRRHHH" style videos and reviews are total horseshit designed to get clicks.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
looks cool, and I do love the Nintendo aesthetic, but I think I'd prefer to stick with a controller that the games I'm looking to play are specifically designed to be played on.

i don't own a switch, and as PC focused as I've been, the Xbox and PS console ergos are more familiar to me.

Fair enough, but don't think the 8bitdo pro2 is just for the switch. It replaced the ps4 controller as my primary controller for PC and is one of the most solidly built controllers I've ever used.

If you plan on picking up a PS5 or Xbox then it definitely makes sense to prioritize one of those over the pro2.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
Fair enough, but don't think the 8bitdo pro2 is just for the switch....
you're right! I read into it more and it's pretty damn cool, actually. Sorry to dismiss your suggestion so quickly...

do its rumble haptics compare to Xbox/PS5 controllers? I cant imagine that they can fit as big a counterweight in that controller, and the XBox/PS5 ones have been fine-tuned for years to improve variable haptics rather than just buzz buzz

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I haven't used the PS5/Xbox 1X controllers, so I cant compare them. It's good rumble, but just rumble. It's not trying to be some sort of haptic feedback.

The controller is the same size as a PS4 controller, but is more dense and much sturdier. No flex or creaks at all. It has an easily removable battery pack that the controller recharges when plugged in, so you could swap it out if necessary. The d-pad is also not complete shit.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
you're right! I read into it more and it's pretty damn cool, actually. Sorry to dismiss your suggestion so quickly...

do its rumble haptics compare to Xbox/PS5 controllers? I cant imagine that they can fit as big a counterweight in that controller, and the XBox/PS5 ones have been fine-tuned for years to improve variable haptics rather than just buzz buzz
i like the 8bitdo more than ps4, and the new pro2 feels 1% better

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
i came reeeeeeally close to getting a CX-48 or C1-48 for my PC gaming/workstation.

problem is, it's just too damn big for use at my desk, at 43" wide and 25" tall.
whether on its own stand or desk mounted, my approximate viewing distance from the screen is 30-36".
I might gain about 3-5 inches if I wall-mounted, but I'd rather not.

sitting that close, I'd have to move my head from side to side and up and down to see the whole screen.
not to mention, it'd be so bright!

my 38" ultrawide (35" wide x 16" tall) at the same distance puts out a TON of light, and I've turned it down to like 85% brightness even with SDR, as its just an eyeball brusier

I love the LG CX/C1, just not for desktop.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So my older desktop finally took a dump. It's been slowly going through it's death throws for a while due to the extreme moisture and salt content in the climate here that caused EVERYTHING to rust. In addition to rust, some things were fusing together so you couldn't separate them any longer.

Anyway, I struggled for a while until it was finally there weren't enough onboard functionality to be "good enough" when individual cards shit the bed. So I went with a cheaper route by buying one of Newegg's boxed systems.

I got this guy for $800 due to 4th of July sales. Currently listed at $950.

It's a decent boxed system. Very quiet. I was able to transfer a few harddrives into it with all my old saved content, so that's good to go. The first one came in with a bad mobo, so Newegg paid the $90 shipping to Hawaii just to send me a new PC as well as an additional $90 to take the returned PC back. It's only a GeForce GXT 1650, but that's a MASSIVE upgrade over my old GTX 630... So yeah, this is a big upgrade. All in all, the system is working well. I did have to buy a USB CD/DVD drive, and a 3.5mm audio cable to make everything work the way they used to with my old computer, but I'm pleased with this one. It runs well and I have no complaints now that they replaced the first.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So my older desktop finally took a dump. It's been slowly going through it's death throws for a while due to the extreme moisture and salt content in the climate here that caused EVERYTHING to rust. In addition to rust, some things were fusing together so you couldn't separate them any longer.

Anyway, I struggled for a while until it was finally there weren't enough onboard functionality to be "good enough" when individual cards shit the bed. So I went with a cheaper route by buying one of Newegg's boxed systems.

I got this guy for $800 due to 4th of July sales. Currently listed at $950.

It's a decent boxed system. Very quiet. I was able to transfer a few harddrives into it with all my old saved content, so that's good to go. The first one came in with a bad mobo, so Newegg paid the $90 shipping to Hawaii just to send me a new PC as well as an additional $90 to take the returned PC back. It's only a GeForce GXT 1650, but that's a MASSIVE upgrade over my old GTX 630... So yeah, this is a big upgrade. All in all, the system is working well. I did have to buy a USB CD/DVD drive, and a 3.5mm audio cable to make everything work the way they used to with my old computer, but I'm pleased with this one. It runs well and I have no complaints now that they replaced the first.
i read to prevent this, is to keep your system sealed and closed and have it on 24/7 this way it is practically in it's own environment.

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
if humidity is really a problem, you could tuck some desiccant packs inside, too.
I have one of these in the gun safe, probably overkill for a PC, but I'm not sure if plug-in rechargeable desiccant comes any smaller

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I've read a few ways to prevent it. The first is taking all of your parts and sending them off somewhere to get a chemical "coating" put on them that will prevent corrosion. The other is to build a new case, then submerge everything in a non-conductive oil like Mineral Oil. It'll act as a large coolant, in addition to preventing outside water vapor & dust to corrode the parts.
Unfortunately, it's expensive and messy. Mineral oil tends to climb, so even you use an empty fish tank as a case, the oil would "climb" the video, power, USB & speaker cables that are leaving the water. Strange, but neat. I'll just buy another cheap computer if this happens again. This other one was already 7-8 years old at that point.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Can anyone tell me how the fuck to turn the LED lights off for the case & case fan? The slow pulsing has always been annoying, but they just started doing some strobe shit out of the blue today and it's driving me crazy. I think I got it from Home | Lyte Gaming PCs, but I can't find the email in any accounts.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Can anyone tell me how the fuck to turn the LED lights off for the case & case fan? The slow pulsing has always been annoying, but they just started doing some strobe shit out of the blue today and it's driving me crazy. I think I got it from Home | Lyte Gaming PCs, but I can't find the email in any accounts.
type
cmd
wmic baseboard

and you'll find what mb you have, then either download the mb utility suite (to get access to advance options like turn off led) or go into bios with a guide by googling

"how to turn off MANUFACTURER MODEL leds"