Desktop Computers

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
I'm a bit out of my realm here, but I remember reading about the potential PCIE lane bandwidth issue, depending on your mobo, and how that could be mitigated by mounting your M.2 cards directly onto a PCIE expansion card, like the one below:

I watched a youtube vid on it some time ago that broke it down in more detail, but I can't seem to find it now.
I skimmed through this one and it seems to get into some details, hopefully it may be helpful:

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I'm likely going to try that expansion card. Downside is it will serve as a bottom cover to my 3090. So will have to keep an eye on Temps and stuff to make sure I understand the impact on other components.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'd consider it if I was going to air cool a build anytime soon. I still have that old as fuck Silverstone case lol

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Now that my pc is done i need another project so if any ballers in here with deep pockets want a beastly machine can slide in my DMs - it can be shipped as i have that expanding foam shit and enough bubble wrap to be on some episodes of Dexter.

- You can feel free to imagine the MSRP but its only been used for WoW and Apex :D both do 4k120 maxed out - not sure how 1440p is as i only use a CX48

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
www.dell.com/en-us/shop/samsung-870-evo-1tb-25-sata-6gb-s-solid-state-drive-mz-77e1t0b/apd/ab481426/storage-drives-media

$70 for a 1TB Samsung 870 EVO of the older SSD type from Dell

edit: Temporarily out of stock after 90 minutes
edit2: looks like this was an error price later orders all got cancelled, some lucky few got shipments started, others got "this order cannot be cancelled" will have to see if it actually processes
edit3: my order arrived today, if it was already processing to be shipped they couldn't cancel it and delivery went through

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Holy shit. I love their reviews but didn’t realize they were that OP.

Well im done bothering with liquid cooling for quite some time - I got the case already but just put it in basement - i ordered an extra 140mm prisma fan for exhaust and the vert mount for the case. Likely use it next year for AMDs near CPUs and GPUs, it reminded me of my old Silverstone Raven R2 and im itching to build in it :D

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Got a 3080Ti to toss in the slow build - it will likely be Alder Lake since Intel is supposedly releasing at end of the year?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Just in case someone wants to go totally OCD on thermal paste. (This guy's channel is a gold mine for high quality engineering educational material.)

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This is probably a dumb question but I have a windows 7 formated External HD with some software and I want to use it as an external HD on my wifes windows 10 PC. I don't want to lose the software. Is this possible?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
This is probably a dumb question but I have a windows 7 formated External HD with some software and I want to use it as an external HD on my wifes windows 10 PC. I don't want to lose the software. Is this possible?

Shouldn't be any problems there.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I have an old ass JBOD configuration with three 2TB drives. I'm thinking about replacing them with a single 8TB drive. The system it'll go in is a simple PLEX media server for 720p/1080p content.

Does anyone see a problem with me getting one of those "surveillance" hard drives? They seem to be the cheapest, have a low-ish RPM but I'm thinking it doesn't matter for media streaming.