Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Bearing on one of my unifans must be going, it has started to make a rattling noise :(
if it's going out might as well try putting a drop of oil or wd40 on it
032465680370ee74e49843818b67e092.png

peel back the stick and if you can see the bearing drop oil in it, if not, cut out the plastic

can't hurt, your fan is junk otherwise

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
While i do love me some Unifans - i find that i can do just as good with a Asiahorse hub and cable extensions - Plus motherboard RGB software is still more dependable than LConnect 2 -

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Can I get a computer that's worth a fuck for $1,000? What's the best place these days?

I don't need windows, monitor, mouse kb,etc. will have two hard drives I put into it. if it makes sense to buy one where that all comes with it OK whatever.

I'm running an i5-3570k, 16gb 1333ram, 1060 3gb.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Can I get a computer that's worth a fuck for $1,000? What's the best place these days?

I don't need windows, monitor, mouse kb,etc. will have two hard drives I put into it. if it makes sense to buy one where that all comes with it OK whatever.

I'm running an i5-3570k, 16gb 1333ram, 1060 3gb.

You'd be better off getting a new mobo, CPU, and RAM, then waiting trying to get whatever GPU you can for MSRP over the next few months. You're not going to get a prebuilt worth a damn with something better than a 1060 for under $1000.

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
You'd be better off getting a new mobo, CPU, and RAM, then waiting trying to get whatever GPU you can for MSRP over the next few months. You're not going to get a prebuilt worth a damn with something better than a 1060 for under $1000.
doing more research, i see that now. I think $1k-$1400 is reasonable. this one looks pretty good TBH?

• CPU: Intel Core i7 10700F 2.90GHz (4.80GHz Turbo Boost) 8-Core 16-Thread
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB (Brand May Vary)
  • Motherboard: Intel B560
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
  • SSD: 512GB SSD
  • CPU Cooler: RGB CPU Cooler
  • PSU: 600W 80 Plus Gold

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That's not bad, plus ABS was one of the not terrible prebuilt that Gamer's Nexus reviewed. If you know anything about building PCs I would go through it looking for mistakes and maybe buy a better CPU cooler. Don't expect much from customer support.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
doing more research, i see that now. I think $1k-$1400 is reasonable. this one looks pretty good TBH?

• CPU: Intel Core i7 10700F 2.90GHz (4.80GHz Turbo Boost) 8-Core 16-Thread
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12GB (Brand May Vary)
  • Motherboard: Intel B560
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz
  • SSD: 512GB SSD
  • CPU Cooler: RGB CPU Cooler
  • PSU: 600W 80 Plus Gold
thats the only way to get a better videocard than your 1060, atm is to buy a decent prebuilt, that looks "okayish", but in a beggers can't be choosers, it's the only way realistically to get a videocard upgrade

you can do a lot of future proofing by adding an additional 16 or 32 of ram (most ppl who build their own are rolling with 32gb) no one has even done real reviews on that $20 cooler, you can bet it'll get hypersonic so if you want better acoustics you get a beefy noctua or bequiet or an AIO

and theyre really doing a ssd instead of a nvme so you can either upgrade now or later down the line to a nvme drive if you main c drive fills up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Quadruple my CPU performance after 8 years and double my graphics performance after 4 years respectively? for $1300? sounds reasonable right? (my exact processor wasn't available but its 4,911 on cpumark) + faster ram
1632088372442.png
1632088344442.png

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Quadruple my CPU performance after 8 years and double my graphics performance after 4 years respectively? for $1300? sounds reasonable right? (my exact processor wasn't available but its 4,911 on cpumark) + faster ram
View attachment 373434View attachment 373433

Individual component benchmarks are all well and good, but actual performance can be hamstringed by other bad components or configurations.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Pretty much how I feel about Gsync ultimate ever since they lowered it to release that Alienware 38 inch.

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
thats the only way to get a better videocard than your 1060, atm is to buy a decent prebuilt, that looks "okayish", but in a beggers can't be choosers, it's the only way realistically to get a videocard upgrade

you can do a lot of future proofing by adding an additional 16 or 32 of ram (most ppl who build their own are rolling with 32gb) no one has even done real reviews on that $20 cooler, you can bet it'll get hypersonic so if you want better acoustics you get a beefy noctua or bequiet or an AIO

and theyre really doing a ssd instead of a nvme so you can either upgrade now or later down the line to a nvme drive if you main c drive fills up.
The 500gb HD is actually a NVMe. intel 660p

need a new fan though for sure, and new ram down the line.

What cooler would you recommend here, any of the below? Denamian Denamian also. I don't think I need much and just air will work, would prefer to spend less than more and something not massive...

coolermaster ma410

dark rock 4

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The 500gb HD is actually a NVMe. intel 660p

need a new fan though for sure, and new ram down the line.

What cooler would you recommend here, any of the below? Denamian Denamian also. I don't think I need much and just air will work, would prefer to spend less than more and something not massive...

coolermaster ma410

dark rock 4
the ma410 is junk compared to the dark rock 4 (get the pro) i have 2 of these, only comparable to that is to get noctua d15, it's on sale now for 70bucks so thats pretty cool, its usually 90

oh and the dark rock 4 is massive, and jumbo, but with that, it's super quiet cuz there is just so much thermal difference, but you have the room and the installation process is EASY and really "secure".

if the hd is a nvme thats cool then, i was just going by the pictures and theres a sata cable coming out of it (and no where is it mentioned nvme).

• 1Like

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
the ma410 is junk compared to the dark rock 4 (get the pro) i have 2 of these, only comparable to that is to get noctua d15, it's on sale now for 70bucks so thats pretty cool, its usually 90

oh and the dark rock 4 is massive, and jumbo, but with that, it's super quiet cuz there is just so much thermal difference, but you have the room and the installation process is EASY and really "secure".

if the hd is a nvme thats cool then, i was just going by the pictures and theres a sata cable coming out of it (and no where is it mentioned nvme).
pretty sure it's this one - www.amazon.com/Intel-660p-512GB-80mm-978349/dp/B07GBKQ9ST

dude those coolers are 6.5"s tall ? insane, but for my case pcpartpicker says they are both compatible

i'll probably get the be quiet! dark rock 4 pro since it seems like the best value

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What cooler would you recommend here, any of the below? Denamian Denamian Denamian Denamian also. I don't think I need much and just air will work, would prefer to spend less than more and something not massive...

I agree with Lanx here, the dark rock has a good reputation and I currently use the Noctua D15.

yea your case will fit fine cuz it's extra wide, cuz it'll also do vertical gfx card if you wanted.

Have to be careful with vertical GPU mounting. If it's not water cooled you can choke off the airflow if it's to close to the side panel of the case.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I agree with Lanx here, the dark rock has a good reputation and I currently use the Noctua D15.

Have to be careful with vertical GPU mounting. If it's not water cooled you can choke off the airflow if it's to close to the side panel of the case.
The D15 is legit I have that in my test bench in black. It’s a thiccboi but Noctua knows their shit.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Asus MB. I keep getting a CPU fan error on post. I have my AIO (Corsair) pump in the header that says Channel_Fan_1 (It actually says to plug into CPU_Fan) per the instructions. The header below that says AIO Pump. I have a case fan plugged into that. This seems backward to me since that cable coming off the pump...should go into AIO pump! For now I have the bios ignoring the error so I can ask for help here.

What am I doing wrong here? My idle proc temp is 50c. When I look in the iCue software it sees my pump and fans. Coolant temp is 30.10C

EDIT: I am an idiot. Ignore.

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Channel_Fan_1? Not Chassis Fan 1?

It's just telling you there's nothing connected to the CPU fan header. You have it connected to a Chassis fan header.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Channel_Fan_1? Not Chassis Fan 1?

It's just telling you there's nothing connected to the CPU fan header. You have it connected to a Chassis fan header.

As soon as I read my own damn message I realized I was an idiot. In my head, the CPU fan header should be next to the AIO Pump header.