Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I went with the 5000D myself and will probably have it for a decade or more. Was worth the price.

Only difference from previous cases in cooling was that fans need to operate a little higher. I run 6 because I went with Corsair control.

The 5000D supports 11 fans and I'd say it needs at least 7 fans if not 8 if you're serious about staying cool. I run hot as a normal state of operation since I'm underfanned by going with the Corsair control.
5000d is over 150$, i forgot the quality of life improvements it has over the 4000d tho

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
5000d is over 150$, i forgot the quality of life improvements it has over the 4000d tho

If you want to run fans at near 800-900 rpm, you can get away with 6 barely. You really need that 7th fan for the rear exhaust.

If you want to run fans on silent and keep rpm low, thats going to be 8 fans in the 5000D if you want temps down. But like I said 6 is fine if you don't mind running warm hot. The case is just too big to cool with 6 fans on normal rpm.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Installed the Peerless Assassin and ordered one more phanteks fan up top, can fit 3 120s up there.

Usually hide the computer behind the monitor but kinda want to have it on the side now. How do you manage that cable mess the best?

(Also dont mind the trashy wallpaper and dust, its getting "home improved" when I get the energy.)

PXL_20230403_170335438.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can use plastic split conduit to bundle all the wires which makes it look less messy. Get a larger size so you can bunch them all into one conduit together. I keep my PC below my desk but I use this stuff to protect wires because my cat likes to chew on thin, expensive wires.

It's never going to look great with the pc there unless you want drill holes into your desk and run the wires below.

1680544642747.png

• 1Like

Daidraco

Installed the Peerless Assassin and ordered one more phanteks fan up top, can fit 3 120s up there.

Usually hide the computer behind the monitor but kinda want to have it on the side now. How do you manage that cable mess the best?

(Also dont mind the trashy wallpaper and dust, its getting "home improved" when I get the energy.)

View attachment 467185
Not much you can do there unless you want to do some arts and crafts, really. One setup Ive seen was a 3D Printed frame that would attach to the back of the PC and he covered it with Speaker Mesh. So on the back of the case was this good looking mesh that hid the ugly shit, and routed all the wires downward into the hole on the Desk. The whole setup didnt fuck with air flow and I think that would be the perfect match for a Glacier / White light PC like yours.
s-l500.jpg

The other setup is one I had, where the PC was just completely hidden - tucked away. Mine was in a stairwell - but when I searched Speaker Mesh for an example, this came up. You could do this under your desk - but I get the feeling you like the look of PC's more than I do.
CG2W-12.jpg

• 1Like

Daidraco

This one is FAR more fancy than what I did - cause I hid everything about mine. This guy also looks like he did a whole lot of extra shit for temperature control, where as I just installed new intake and exhaust fans on the stairs and door, themselves. Basically lots of cool shit you can do if you just figure out the "look" you want to go for.

Aazrael

Will check out some of that cable hiding tubing. Might look a little bit cleaner at least.

Tried the Thermal Assassin on my 5900x just now in a CPU test and it never went above 77C. The Arctic Freezer did not keep it that cool, pretty sure I had over 80-85C on that one. The AIO was a bit quiter though. But happy with the performance on that cheap air cooler.

Daidraco

That seems insanely good for 2TB. Hmmmmmmmm

Is there an external thing you can connect and copy an NVME drive with? So that I could just copy all my drives and upgrade my storages
Just a quick google - cause I generally enjoy a fresh install. But this is what came up:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That seems insanely good for 2TB. Hmmmmmmmm

Is there an external thing you can connect and copy an NVME drive with? So that I could just copy all my drives and upgrade my storages
others have posted, this is what i haad
9ea04c7bcf78ab318d92aa1d71564dca.png

these are actually going up in price now

and just go download samsung datamigration/magitician and it copies it flawlessly

then i swapped the drives and my older 1tb nvme is in the external reader and is my back drive for docs and pics

Daidraco

I got one o those 980 pro 2TB when my 970 took a shit at best buy for $160 a few weeks back.
Oh no. Is this the life span of them? Ive had this PC since they came out - the 970 is a god damn 2000 Toyota Camry in my mind. Ive moved three times and its been my main ride or die for years, and now its my office PC. Ol' boy is champ.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Mine lasted about a year or so
Oh. Im a dumbass. I thought you was talking about the Nvidia 970. Not the NVME. If you still have that samsung 970 - might be able to claim it on the extended warranty or w/e theyre doing because of the firmware issue.

• 1Worf

Nemesis

Bridgeburner
feels bad, man.

this time 2 years ago, my Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2tb was $299 and the Samsung 980 Pro 1tb was $199

the 2tb is my game/software drive (30% full), and the 1tb is my OS drive (20% full), so I don't really need to upgrade, but I don't like the sound of the 970s dying already. I suppose there's no risk in letting my game drive die, though.