Desktop Computers

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Early 2019, the power draw of a high end computer was almost half of where its at now. But sarcasm is funny.

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

See the tale of jayrebb jayrebb and the 1300w PSU in the nvidia 3000 series thread in gaming.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Been a minute since i checked in on here, just finished move back to FL. Did anyone get one of the new X3D chips? Im still using the vanilla 7950X and not sure its worth it to change to one or not.

7950X and 4090 Strix - Tempted to drop down to a 4080 or go water cool and do a 7900XTX Liquid Devil

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Been a minute since i checked in on here, just finished move back to FL. Did anyone get one of the new X3D chips? Im still using the vanilla 7950X and not sure its worth it to change to one or not.

7950X and 4090 Strix - Tempted to drop down to a 4080 or go water cool and do a 7900XTX Liquid Devil
Dont like any of the water cooling kits for the 4090? Mine never gets above 63C at load.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I dont think ive had a custom loop GPU hit 50c, 63 would have me wonder why its so god damn hot - The water in my loop doesnt go beyond 95F - However my system remains in a basement, or well it did before the move.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Not having any custom loop stuff together still the part I think most about water cooling is definitely my GPU. It's where I noticed the most difference, and had the biggest reduction in noise (GPU's tend to be too fucking loud). Whenever 5 series comes out I'll probably buy something near top end and maybe do a loop just for that. We'll see how spicy I'm feeling.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I am currently waiting on the Assassin 4, but i somehow secured a white Nv7 so im tempted to find someone with a white 4090 to swap - I'd even take a white gigabyte aero. I know i said id not water cool for a few years buuuuut i love the Nv7.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

See the tale of jayrebb jayrebb and the 1300w PSU in the nvidia 3000 series thread in gaming.

Came a long way, sir. I'm proud to see people are now able to use the term future proofing without being dogpiled. How many said future proofing doesn't exist are now unironically using the term in regular conversation.

Indeed that sales rep at Microcenter sort of knew what he was talking about afterall.

I mean 1,300 watts for fucks sake, is still a little eye-watering in 2023-- but that's the shame of being protected from the future. Still surprised that asshole was right when he leered at 850 watts, then to give a meh to 1,000 watts. Refusing to locate a 1,000 watt PSU in the inventory system.

Someone must have future proofed his brain. What a fella!

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
There is no such thing as future proofing. Everything changes and/or breaks down eventually. But if that guy upsold you then he did a good job for microcenter. I think Xexx Xexx might be the only person on this board who even makes computers that would realistically need 1300 watts this decade.

Daidraco

There is no such thing as future proofing. Everything changes and/or breaks down eventually. But if that guy upsold you then he did a good job for microcenter. I think Xexx Xexx might be the only person on this board who even makes computers that would realistically need 1300 watts this decade.
We'll see what the 50x0 series does in ~2025. The size of the chip is getting to be a fat boy. My 4090 takes up the entire bottom part of my mid tower PC.
I dont think ive had a custom loop GPU hit 50c, 63 would have me wonder why its so god damn hot - The water in my loop doesnt go beyond 95F - However my system remains in a basement, or well it did before the move.
Went with a smaller case for the look and no matter what I do - it just doesnt have the airflow that I would really like because of the size of the 4090. Even though Im dealing with that, a game like CP2077 set at max doesnt get that hot. I think it was New World? That I got that temp from? - which is coded like a hot dumpster fire. I'm going to sell or part out most of this PC when the 4090 ti drops. People are guessing the 4090 Ti will be out in September (which I thought it would have been out, or at least debuted this month) which I cant imagine will affect the resale value of my 4090 all that much.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
4090 seems to be more readily available, I’ve been able to get to check out with the $1,599 MSI on Best Buy a few times - just don’t need it right now.

• 1Like

Daidraco

4090 seems to be more readily available, I’ve been able to get to check out with the $1,599 MSI on Best Buy a few times - just don’t need it right now.
Theyre on the shelves. Any scarcity with them is manufactured.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We'll see what the 50x0 series does in ~2025. The size of the chip is getting to be a fat boy. My 4090 takes up the entire bottom part of my mid tower PC.

Went with a smaller case for the look and no matter what I do - it just doesnt have the airflow that I would really like because of the size of the 4090. Even though Im dealing with that, a game like CP2077 set at max doesnt get that hot. I think it was New World? That I got that temp from? - which is coded like a hot dumpster fire. I'm going to sell or part out most of this PC when the 4090 ti drops. People are guessing the 4090 Ti will be out in September (which I thought it would have been out, or at least debuted this month) which I cant imagine will affect the resale value of my 4090 all that much.
did you get a case w/ a triple slot riser card so the card can draw air directly from outside?
027e1c824581e44e00fb0c980d95ec26.jpg

Daidraco

did you get a case w/ a triple slot riser card so the card can draw air directly from outside?
027e1c824581e44e00fb0c980d95ec26.jpg
Case appears to be a bit bigger than that, but not by much. I cant do that orientation of the card because the top of the card doesnt have clearance between the water cooling stuff and the design of the chassis. Again, it only ever got that hot while playing New World. Ive had strictly air cooled PC's that have been hotter due to, again, a case issue. But theyve all been fine. Im going to go back to a tower PC this coming generation so Im not at all worried about it.

Gotta keep up with the Joneses now that Nvidia is limiting its newest software to its most recent line of cards.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Case appears to be a bit bigger than that, but not by much. I cant do that orientation of the card because the top of the card doesnt have clearance between the water cooling stuff and the design of the chassis. Again, it only ever got that hot while playing New World. Ive had strictly air cooled PC's that have been hotter due to, again, a case issue. But theyve all been fine. Im going to go back to a tower PC this coming generation so Im not at all worried about it.

Gotta keep up with the Joneses now that Nvidia is limiting its newest software to its most recent line of cards.
i just did my yearly case cleaning, tidying up and thermal paste, its such a joy to work out of a huge monster like the darkbase 700 vs a h510, i had to wear a head lamp, lulz

correction it was a h710, even then the darkbase was nicer to work on

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
You're building a new computer and are looking for a case in the $100 out under range, what are you picking

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

I went with the 5000D myself and will probably have it for a decade or more. Was worth the price.

Only difference from previous cases in cooling was that fans need to operate a little higher. I run 6 because I went with Corsair control.

The 5000D supports 11 fans and I'd say it needs at least 7 fans if not 8 if you're serious about staying cool. I run hot as a normal state of operation since I'm underfanned by going with the Corsair control.