Desktop Computers

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I used some $25 Sabrent enclosure and free Macrium Reflect to clone my drive with no issues (3 times now since I was/am trouble shooting my computer.)

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've cloned both SATA and NVME without issues, mainly using samsung magician. Did not matter if they were internal or external enclosure.

Only extra step I've had was an older system involving both MBR and GPT, Windows did not like seeing a dupe and i had to convert after the fact.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Holy fucking shit. Put the original drive back in its slot and it still keeps me in the same windows recovery loops. Lanx Lanx i hate you so hard.

Even when I try to “reset this pc” w all the files it just says that there was a problem and no changes were made. Startup repair does nothing. GG

[edit] LUL. Boot options got changed so once I fixed that we’re back in business. WTF would that change???

[edit edit] In retrospect, I should not do these things late at night deep into bourbon.
Did you remove the drive that had the system partition? looooooool

It's not necessarily the same drive as C:\

Oh, maybe when you cloned the drives, you only cloned the logical drive, not all partions on the physical drive.

Yeah, cloning drives is generally just worse than reinstalling Windows, but maybe you learned something.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Did you remove the drive that had the system partition? looooooool

It's not necessarily the same drive as C:\

Oh, maybe when you cloned the drives, you only cloned the logical drive, not all partions on the physical drive.

Yeah, cloning drives is generally just worse than reinstalling Windows, but maybe you learned something.

Samsung Data Migration clones the entire thing. Seems like the main issue is that I didn't reboot into BIOS and reset the boot drive.

HOWEVER, the cloned drive is still sitting on my mouse pad bc I don't want to spend another potentially fruitless 45 minutes uninstalling and reinstalling my 3080Ti lol.

Aazrael

So... I think I know why my computer crashed with extension cables... Just spent 40 min prying out burnt plastic from the port.

Phanteks extension kit, shit quality it seems.

PXL_20230411_140228561.jpg
PXL_20230411_140200594.jpg

• 2WTF
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

Just glad it did not fry my card or other parts. Just looked through the other end of the cable and found this.

A quick google search gets melted cable posts on reddit.

phanteks3.jpg

• 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If I was ever going to do cables I'd just get custom ones to the right lengths and of colors of choosing from someone like cablemod. Extensions are just a fucking mess

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If I was ever going to do cables I'd just get custom ones to the right lengths and of colors of choosing from someone like cablemod. Extensions are just a fucking mess
most likely they used smaller awg's cuz it's easier to manipulate

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those connectors are a cheap design run right at the edge of specification, it has little clamping force and a small area of contact. Most of those pins carry the same circuit in parallel because they've just added more pins to the connector whenever they hit the specification limit. I have no idea why they haven't switched to something beefier. It'd actually save energy too because a lot is being wasted heating up connectors and wires.

Design update to mitigate some of the issues is ongoing.

Last edited:

Aazrael

Knowing this now, CableMod or Corsairs own cables that connect directly to the PSU would be the only choice. But forget paying 100+ bucks for those. The original cables will have to do from now on.

And those Amazon reviews are scary. I emailed Phanteks with pictures but doubt anything will come of it. They are over 2 years also so no warranty left.

Daidraco

Knowing this now, CableMod or Corsairs own cables that connect directly to the PSU would be the only choice. But forget paying 100+ bucks for those. The original cables will have to do from now on.

And those Amazon reviews are scary. I emailed Phanteks with pictures but doubt anything will come of it. They are over 2 years also so no warranty left.
Looked like they were just sending out a generic email in response. You can bet your ass they arent doing anything lol.

I see the draw for someone trying to dress up the inside of their PC - but I personally dont care like that. I havent seen where black cables ever look bad in a case. Any age on black cables isnt displayed so easily and if you keep your PC in a spot where it gets a bit dusty on the inside - they dont show dirt near as bad as those threaded colored cables do. Its the rainbow cables that look like shit. Ill often swap those fuckers out simply because, to me, it makes the PC look dated as fuck. Like Gateway type of old and then it bothers me. But Im not part of the RGB crowd and would rather hide my PC away. They arent prized possessions in my mind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Looked like they were just sending out a generic email in response. You can bet your ass they arent doing anything lol.

I see the draw for someone trying to dress up the inside of their PC - but I personally dont care like that. I havent seen where black cables ever look bad in a case. Any age on black cables isnt displayed so easily and if you keep your PC in a spot where it gets a bit dusty on the inside - they dont show dirt near as bad as those threaded colored cables do. Its the rainbow cables that look like shit. Ill often swap those fuckers out simply because, to me, it makes the PC look dated as fuck. Like Gateway type of old and then it bothers me. But Im not part of the RGB crowd and would rather hide my PC away. They arent prized possessions in my mind.
yea i mean, jesus christ, cutting a huge (or 2) port near the mb power connector was amazing
9ba329aa170f41ea76c3f65679ef8036.png

20years ago, you still had as one of the top selling cases, just a flat piece of sheet metal for the backplane
acfd6ce1bc7ef94ac9e64379c7e71987.png

• 3Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

yea i mean, jesus christ, cutting a huge (or 2) port near the mb power connector was amazing
9ba329aa170f41ea76c3f65679ef8036.png

20years ago, you still had as one of the top selling cases, just a flat piece of sheet metal for the backplane
Im not even sure they thought about ventilation on some of those computers. First Windows PC we had was a Gateway 2000 P5-60. That PC weighed probably 70-80 pounds and just had a single (shitty) ventilation mesh at the power supply. But it ran Warcraft, Diablo, C&C and more on it and that was just fine. (The bottom of the front is not a vent in the traditional sense.)
gateway-2000-baby-at-p5-60-p60-mhz-8mb-ram-406mb-hdd-desktop-pc-1.35__73935.1490165664.jpg
gateway-2000-baby-at-p5-60-p60-mhz-8mb-ram-406mb-hdd-desktop-pc-4.35__02097.1490165669.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Im not even sure they thought about ventilation on some of those computers. First Windows PC we had was a Gateway 2000 P5-60. That PC weighed probably 70-80 pounds and just had a single (shitty) ventilation mesh at the power supply. But it ran Warcraft, Diablo, C&C and more on it and that was just fine. (The bottom of the front is not a vent in the traditional sense.)
gateway-2000-baby-at-p5-60-p60-mhz-8mb-ram-406mb-hdd-desktop-pc-1.35__73935.1490165664.jpg
gateway-2000-baby-at-p5-60-p60-mhz-8mb-ram-406mb-hdd-desktop-pc-4.35__02097.1490165669.jpg
shit, i don't think it was even until pentium 166's that they started to glue (yes glue) heatsinks and fans to cpus
0b62707b0f122a7c5b12458fa82a06c6.png

i'm pretty sure the dx100's probably had em cuz they ran really hot

• 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Send it to Tech Jesus at Gamer's Nexus, get him to do a 1hr30m YouTube video investigation. You'll get your free cables!

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard

Somewhere in Rhode Island, Mist has just developed a boner. A Weird boner.

• 1Worf