Desktop Computers

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
First EVER SSD I had die was the 970. I have others that have been in comps for years and still going strong, sata versions. Shit, I think I have one thats like 8+yrs old that I gave my kid.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
others have posted, this is what i haad
9ea04c7bcf78ab318d92aa1d71564dca.png

these are actually going up in price now

and just go download samsung datamigration/magitician and it copies it flawlessly

then i swapped the drives and my older 1tb nvme is in the external reader and is my back drive for docs and pics

So, I'm doing this and when I go to choose the drive I want to clone, I can't tell the difference between my existing 980 Pro and the one connected with the USB-C dongle... Is there a way to tell the difference? One's called drive 2 and one's called drive 5:

Capture.PNG
2.PNG

WTF won't it show me which drive already has shit on it?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Unplug the USB

The USB is the one I want to transfer to. I was planning on xfering and just replacing the original drive.

But, idk for certain if they rename drives or something unless I can see which drive has shit on it already. So the safest bet is to just open up the case.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
The USB is the one I want to transfer to. I was planning on xfering and just replacing the original drive.

But, idk for certain if they rename drives or something unless I can see which drive has shit on it already. So the safest bet is to just open up the case.
Unplug it and see which one disappears then plug it back in.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Unplug it and see which one disappears then plug it back in.

lulz

Anytime I try to do anything w the externally connected drive it errors out. GG.

Looks like the only way is the tedious way.

Capture.PNG

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
When you are using Samsung magician and it shows two drive letters, pull the USB, one should disappear. What drive letter is left?

It doesn't matter at this point bc the USB aspect of the drive malfunctions any time a file touches it.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Much wow, such ease bros:

9BE39B94-E797-4213-8C0D-13F7982EFD5D.jpeg
D927AC69-A69D-4551-A80F-CCBA0CB89067.jpeg

These two screens are a never ending loop regardless of the options I choose. Cloning a drive may be the worst advice I’ve ever gotten here.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Holy fucking shit. Put the original drive back in its slot and it still keeps me in the same windows recovery loops. Lanx Lanx i hate you so hard.

Even when I try to “reset this pc” w all the files it just says that there was a problem and no changes were made. Startup repair does nothing. GG

[edit] LUL. Boot options got changed so once I fixed that we’re back in business. WTF would that change???

[edit edit] In retrospect, I should not do these things late at night deep into bourbon.

Last edited:
  • 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Holy fucking shit. Put the original drive back in its slot and it still keeps me in the same windows recovery loops. Lanx Lanx i hate you so hard.

Even when I try to “reset this pc” w all the files it just says that there was a problem and no changes were made. Startup repair does nothing. GG

[edit] LUL. Boot options got changed so once I fixed that we’re back in business. WTF would that change???

[edit edit] In retrospect, I should not do these things late at night deep into bourbon.
why do i get the blame?