Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Fine. The fans still move at the same RPMs, they're just taking air in faster through a smaller intake on the side of the front panel.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Whoa! I've never seen a square case before. How does that work out? Looks like a ton of room, but how does that work?
There is a ton of room in it, yes. It is segregated into two main areas I guess. The primary area is for the motherboard and below the motherboard there is two spots for quick swap HDD's. The front and top of the case in this area have room to mount a ton of fans for airflow. In my particular case I have a Corsair closed loop CPU cooler and I have it in a push-pull configuration so I have 2 fans pushing in the front of the case, then the water cooling reservoir, then 2 fans pulling air into the case. Then I have two fans on the top of my case and the fan in the back.

Couple random pics I found on the internet showing this section of the case.

U1rwVPO.jpg

u4lG3h9.jpg

On the other side of the seperater dealy is where the power supply, more hard drives, SSD's, etc. go. I have my SSD back in that area along with my PSU and my mess of cables. I have a severe case of retardation when it comes to cabling (ie: I'm lazy) but this case made it stupid easy to run the cables so the area where all the heat is generated from the CPU/GPU/motherboard is completely clear of cables making the airflow it in top notch.

Random picture I found of this side of the case:
XcGrGPq.jpg

At any rate, I REALLY recommend it. I loved it enough to use it in a second build and I've never done that before. 8/10 would recommend. Unless, of course, like I previously mentioned, if you have a ton of HDDs I wouldn't recommend it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
No way, Fractal's are the high-end case, Corsairs are ok, I've used both companies and both are good, but the quality in Fractals are just unsurpassed. Especially when you say that particular corsair is better than the r5? how, aside from being 10bucks cheaper, the R5 has 4 extra removable HD cages, both HD cages (8 slots) can be removed, even the drive cage can be removed, along with having 2 behind the MB, SSD mounts, sure you can take up a hd cage slot, or heck, just zip tie the SSDs or even velcro it anywhere, but they give you 2 nice slots.
i remember that corsair not having a bottom fan filter, the R5 does, and you can remove it w/o tilting the case over or doing gymnastics with it, along with fans the corsair only provisions at most 2x120(or140 on the top and front, the R5 can do 4x120 top and 3x120 front, that's crazy unheard of for a mid sized case, and it can even do a 240 on the bottom, wtf.

I just don't see how you can justify the statement that the corsair 330R is better than the Fractal R5, yea everything is subjective, but the corsair just can't win besides saving you a 10'er.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I ended up going with the Corsair 540. Going out of town this week and hoping the Samsung 850 goes on sale. Might reuse my Samsung 840 if it does not , I am not sure the 10% difference I would see even matters.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I ended up going with the Corsair 540. Going out of town this week and hoping the Samsung 850 goes on sale. Might reuse my Samsung 840 if it does not , I am not sure the 10% difference I would see even matters.
I wouldn't bother switching over to a 850 if you already have an 840, unless you're also going up in capacity. Don't waste the money going from a 250gb 840 to a 250gb 850, you won't notice the speed difference in any practical use.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Okay that's what I was wondering. My 840 is a 250 gig. I'll just reuse it for now.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, wait until you want to upgrade in capacity. SSDs just keep dropping in price like crazy, the longer you wait the more you'll get for your money, if you have enough space for what you need to do now. Hell, wait a year and you might be able to get a 1TB drive for $200 or something, the way prices are going.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
850 EVO 500gb models just got super expensive for some reason. It was easy to find them for 189 last week, now they cheapest you can find is 229.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Odd. With my luck, the chips used in SSDs will probably undergo some sort of "shortage" and prices will spike and never recover, like RAM a couple years ago.

I used the Corsair Air 540 in two of my builds. Best case I've ever used.
As a counterpoint, I have this case and I'm not a huge fan.

On the positive side - it's quite roomy and cable management is quite easy, it ends up looking quite clean.

What I don't like about the case:

1. The motherboard side is completely open - there is nothing to prevent dust from getting in. Also makes things noisy as there is nothing really to quiet the sound from video card / cpu fans.
2. The included fans are pretty noisy and are lighted (personal preference in that case, I don't really care for lighted fans).
3. Drive Bays (already mentioned by others) - for such a large case, you only get two 5.25" bays, four 3.5" bays and two SSD mounting spots. Also, all the 5.25" and 3.5" bays are vertical mounted, which I don't really care for (whenever I put a CD or DVD in, I seem to not quite get it in that slot just right and end up having the CD get crunched while the tray is closing)
4. Being so bulky, I have trouble fitting it into my trunk - my car has an exceptionally narrow trunk opening though.

Anyway, mostly nitpicks, but I think my next case will be a bit more conventional and hopefully quieter.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Well, on impulse earlier today I went out and bought anASUS ROG Swift PG278Q/. G-Sync is fucking awesome. I need to move my monitors back, fix their heights, fix my wiring and stuff, and get the monitor all color calibrated but holy shit going from a 60 Hz to 144 Hz AND G-Sync was a huge, noticeable difference. 10/10 would buy again.

x4jWSMX.jpg

7eYQ2gV.jpg

Fadaar

That guy
I got one of those recently too, really nice monitor. Wish it wasn't so pricey but I got an open box from Newegg so it was only like $650. So so amazing to actually use the FPS you're getting. Now trying to decide if I should add another 970 for SLI or not.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Honestly the jump from 60 Hz to 144 Hz and G-Sync at the same time feels like I went from an HDD to SSD. I honestly haven't noticed this large/noticeable a difference in speed/fluidness of a PC since then. Wish I would have done this a few months back like I was planning on doing.