Desktop Computers

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Anyone use Nvidia Surround for 3 monitors? I may have an issue with Syncing or whatever the fuck it's called. I don't have all three monitors hooked up via DVI which I'll fix tonight, but I want to get some advice of hacking it in case it becomes an issue.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
On a happy note I got my NVidia Surround Working!

20130109_220802_zps46df32e1.jpg

20130109_220829_zps000dd23a.jpg

20130109_221203_zpsd265bcb7.jpg

Since my high res Shimian Korean monitor does not have the proper sync polarity as my two new dells, I had to use my older HP monitor and it's now sitting on its own stand on the right and doesn't look "cool". *HP is a bunch of retard though as the mounting screw holes in the back are not centered. *There are six holes on the back and most mounting brackets are square, that mount at each corner. *So the monitor will start leaning to the left or right (it's also older so it's heavier).

Anyway, here is my set up. *Things to do in the future:
Buy another Dell monitor.
Buy a taller single arm mount for the fourth monitor so it can be mounted above the triple display.
Use older single mount for new Dell monitor on right hand side.

But for now I think I can survive.

And yes, I was watching MSNBC at the time. *:awesome_for_real:

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I had a nice eyefinity setup with 3 27 inch samsung monitors. I'm back to just a single 40 inch hdtv as monitor. I've mulled over the idea of setting it back up, but it's a lot more unwieldy in practice than idea. It was great for a few games no doubt. Skyrim looked fantastic. But it requires lots of effort to get each game performing properly. You're going to have FOV issues, somewhat blurred textures on the peripheral monitors (not a huge deal), most games don't carry innate multimonitor support, so you're going to be using cheatengine or widescreenfixer a lot, rooting around on forums looking for the right hack so you can see the menus in game, etc. Even if the game supports the resolution, you'll find that the menus are zoomed in and unreadable, that they didn't bother to truly support it. Every time Skyrim was patched it would break the widescreen fix and had to wait on the guy to get enough free time to update it, that sort of thing. I got pretty tired of it all. Maybe Nvidia surround is a smoother experience.

I see you have gw2 up. That is a good example. It's going to get old quickly having those UI elements all the way on the ends of the peripheral monitors. I don't think there is a way to move those to the center screen. At least there wasn't at release, before I dismantled my eyefinity. Also the super stretched FOV causes their heads to be chopped off in cutscenes and other sorts of anomalies.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Someone recommend me a good router that has a strong wireless signal as well. I know I've seen recommendations for some good ones but I can't remember if it was here, back on FOH, or what thread they were even in. I'm sick of my D-Link DGL-4500, it has to be reset about once a week, just randomly stops working after sitting idle(luckily never cuts out while gaming or anything) but still annoying.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Asus RT-N16.

Great wireless on all levels of the house, took a little bit to get set up properly, but been rock solid since day 2.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
So, I have an i7 2500k 3.40 oc'd to 4.20 and a Seasonic 850 psu.

I had a Msi twin forza 560 crap out on me this morning, it was given to me by a friend when he upgraded a few months ago. The screen would get filled with short, horizontal red lines and then turn off. Before that I was using a EVGA 570 ti HD that was kind of dodgy. Mostly it would work ok, but some games would crash, including GW2. It would be a hard crash that would require a power cycle. That EVGA was pretty old and taken out of my old pc when I built this one.

Could the OC be killing my video cards? Could it be a power issue? The computer runs stable otherwise and I have zero heat problems using a cooler master hyper 212. It could just be a coincidence and both cards were used pretty hard and nearing the end of thier life anyway.

At any rate, I need to buy a new video card. I was hoping to wait until later this year thinking the 670 might have a price drop, but am going to need to pull the trigger now.I game at 1920x1080 and run a second monitor for email/mumble etc. I play pretty much everything and if I'm going to drop the money now I would like the card to last for a couple of years.

Would a 660ti be enough or should I bite the bullet and get a 670?

Jovec

?
Could the OC be killing my video cards?
CPU OC? No (at least, extremely unlikely). GPU OC? Yes.

Could it be a power issue?
Yes, and most likely. It wouldn't pure a pure wattage issue, but rather faulty PCIe power delivery.

The computer runs stable otherwise
How so? I assume you have run long duration tests with stress testing software like P95? Intel Burn Test/LinPack, etc?

and I have zero heat problems using a cooler master hyper 212.
CPU temps sure, but what about GPU temps? Inadequate case ventilation and/or a GPU OC/overvolt could be causing GPU heat issues also.

It could just be a coincidence and both cards were used pretty hard and nearing the end of thier life anyway.
Power supply is most likely, but the cards are also being used in the same motherboard. Assuming the PS is fine and there are no heat/OC issues, it's possible that it is the motherboard PCIe slot/power delivery.

Would a 660ti be enough or should I bite the bullet and get a 670?
The 660ti is fine for 1080. The 670 gets you a little breathing room on a few of the most demanding games and alittlebuffer for the future. It's up to you if it is worth the extra money.

Fuse

Silver Knight of the Realm
Thanks Jovec.

The video card is not OC/overvolt, just running stock. The temps were fine according to evga percision, I never checked on the msi.

I stressed it with P95 when I first overclocked it and it went fine.

Would a 2GB card be fine at 1080?

Is there anyway to test the psu or pci slot other than putting another card in it and waiting?

Jovec

?
Thanks Jovec.

The video card is not OC/overvolt, just running stock. The temps were fine according to evga percision, I never checked on the msi.

I stressed it with P95 when I first overclocked it and it went fine.

Would a 2GB card be fine at 1080?

Is there anyway to test the psu or pci slot other than putting another card in it and waiting?
Mild CPU OC, no GPU oc, two video cards dying in the same system - it's most likely the power supply.

2GB VRAM for 1080 is enough for most everything. CPU's OC can degrade over time for numerous reasons. When troubleshooting I would run the CPU at stock. 4.2 isn't a heavy OC for Sandy, but you will run to run p95 for at least 8 hours and also run one of IBT/Linx/Linpack for 20 passes or so to see if it passes both.

Regarding temperatures, you are monitoring your CPU and GPU temps during load?

If it is a power supply issue, it seems to be one causing issues over time, and I know of no way easy to test for this. You would need to monitor the 12v rail and connectors under load to ensure stable voltage delivery (consumer grade equipment isn't really accurate enough for this).

You could also move your failing/failed GPU into another system to see if it exhibits the same behavior. If it doesn't work it, your PS could still be the issue (as in, you PS killed the card). Either way, everything in your computer is effected by the power supply. You can get a quality unit in the 500-600w range for $60-$80 (enough for single GPU systems). I wouldn't buy a new GPU unless I bought a new PS.

Before spending any money, I would remove the heatsink/fan/shroud from the 560 and thoroughly clean out any dust. Clean the heatsink and GPU of whatever TIM they used (they usually use too much and use low quality stuff anyway). Use whatever CPU TIM you have instead and reattach the GPU heatsink. Depending on your GPU model removing the the heatsink can be easy or difficult so you may want to Google first. I easily got a 10c drop on my new 7950 GPU by replacing the stock TIM. Obviously this is only for heat-related issues and not PS/power delivery.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
Someone recommend me a good router that has a strong wireless signal as well. I know I've seen recommendations for some good ones but I can't remember if it was here, back on FOH, or what thread they were even in. I'm sick of my D-Link DGL-4500, it has to be reset about once a week, just randomly stops working after sitting idle(luckily never cuts out while gaming or anything) but still annoying.
Asus N66U. Amazing signal strength. I thought my previous router was good, but this one is on another level. The built in VPN works well, too.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I swear I remember someone mentioning a company selling high def monitors similar to the Korean ones in gold river ca, back on foh. Does anyone remember the name of the company.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Microcenter was carrying a 27" 2560x1440p monitor for $399 back around Christmas(little more expensive than the Korean ones, but you're dealing with a local merchant with a return policy), but it is nowhere to be found on their website right now.

blehh_sl

shitlord
Seconded on the rt n16, its what I use at home and it has really great range and you can flash different firmwares to it

Yiliumn_sl

shitlord
I'm looking for a new budget desktop. I don't play any new games(just consoles) but I'd like a rig I would be able to 4-6 box Everquest on. Most of the time I'll be 3boxibg, but I'd like the flexibility.

I built my own computer 4 or 5 years ago, but frankly, it never ran quite right and I don't have the knowledge or the patience to properly troubleshoot it.

Can I find a budget gaming box from Dell or another company, or should I suck it up and build another myself? Realistically, my budget is about 500$.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The 2GB card has a slightly faster memory clock speed. You really won't see any noticeable difference, and both can be overclocked well past their default speeds anyways if you want to mess with that. I'm showing a $60($499 and $559) difference to get the 4GB card, which still isn't huge compared to the overall prices.

Honestly, unless you are gaming across multiple monitors, you won't be using more than 2GB of video ram. You gotta push up into crazy resolutions like 3600 x 1920(3 portriat-oriented 1920x1200 monitors) before you're going to see any benefit for going over 2GB of video ram. Or if you plan on buying a 4K TV in the next few years and gaming on it. You wont be using more than 2GB of video ram even with a really high-end 2560x1600 single monitor.

But, with that being said, I went ahead and bought a 3GB 660Ti instead of a 2GB one, because it was only an extra $25 or so at the time, and I do have 2 1920x1200 monitors(occasionally screw around with 3840x1200 resolution, although rarely use it, I just benchmark with it sometimes to really stress-test my system)

tl;dr - if you can get the 4GB for only $13 more, do it, why not. If its actually $60 more, I'd try to figure out if that money could be better spent elsewhere in the PC(bigger SSD, more RAM, etc...something else that will give you more bang for your buck)