Desktop Computers

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm thinking of buying a ~500gb SSD. My computer takes an absolute eternity to boot up on its 1TB HDD. How much of a to-do is it to move my windows installation and a few games over to the SSD?
You can physically move a partition to another drive. So if you want to save your windows install you can shrink the windows partition down to a size that will fit on the SSD then copy that partition to the SSD. Not sure if most of your games are on steam, but steam supports moving games between drives.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm thinking of buying a ~500gb SSD. My computer takes an absolute eternity to boot up on its 1TB HDD. How much of a to-do is it to move my windows installation and a few games over to the SSD?
Reinstall Windows, don't move it. Reinstall everything.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I was afraid of that. In that case I'll probably just deal.
Get the SSD. Unless you absolutely can't reinstall Windows because you don't have a disk or iso to use.

The SSD is the single biggest upgrade in home computers since the invention of the 3d graphics accelerator about 20 years ago.

SSD is a total game changer. If you can afford one, you need one. ASAP.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My computer boots faster than any phone or tablet we have in our home. I love my Samsung 850 Evo.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Reinstall Windows, don't move it. Reinstall everything.
Whats you're reasoning for this? Presuming he's just upgrading the drive to an SSD and there are no other hardware changes, I don't really see anything that warrants a full reinstall.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Migrations from HDDs to SSDs suck. There's like a dozen registry settings related to TRIM and other bullshit that MIGHT fix themselves or might not depending on what Windows wants to do that day.

If it's Windows 7 it's an absolute disaster.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
There's guides out there to go back and check all that shit to make sure it configured properly. But yeah, I'd agree that you're better off just doing a fresh install. Save the SSD upgrade for the next time you're doing an extensive system upgrade if you don't want to spend the time.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
A number of things can go wrong including driver or registry issues. The amount of time it takes to do a fresh install of Windows via a USB Key on a SSD drive is so fast now there's no point in not doing it unless you have some precious piece of software you can't get a hold of anymore.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My last Win 8 install on my SSD took 10 minutes...maybe. Start the install, go take a dump, it'll be done when you get back.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Seriously, it's not 1998 anymore. A full windows reinstall takes 15 minutes tops from booting from media to being at the desktop.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
A full install of Windows 8 also gives you the opportunity to setup GPT partition and EFI secure boot.

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
It looks like it's time for a new build soon.

Aside from waiting for Skylake, are there any big changes to the vid card market coming up soon that would be worth waiting for? I'm looking at the Geforce GTX 970 range/pricepoint. Nvidia doesn't have anything new coming until next year, correct?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Pascal sometime Q2 or 3 next year if all the new tech theyre cramming into it works right.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I strongly suggest trying to rip off Best Buy for a 980 GTX. Best decision of my life, which I realize isn't saying much.