Desktop Computers

Orcus_sl

shitlord
AMD cpus are garbage, ancient tech.

I'm positive the just released i3-6100 would beat that 8320 in any gaming benchmark you care to pick for 20 dollars less.

Intel Core i3-6100 3M 3.7 GHz LGA 1151 BX80662I36100 Desktop Processor - Newegg.com

Jump up $100 to a 6600k and you'll have a brute of a cpu, though we are blowing up the budget at that point. Still, I'd consider it depending on your finances. Paired with an Asus z170 board, one click will get you a sizable overclock and off you go, good single and multithreaded performance for years.

But for extreme budget type builds, I think the new skylake i3s are really interesting.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So this is what I was messing with, thanks for the links above. I researched mostly finding a sweet spot for pricepoint meeting performance....so something cheaper but still plays games at good settings.

PC Hound Part List

CPU:AMD FX-8320($144.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard:MSI 970 Gaming($95.98 @ Newegg)
Memory:G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws X Series($79.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card:SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 290 100362SR($199.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply:EVGA 650W 220-G2-0650-Y1($65.98 @ Newegg)
Storage:SAMSUNG 250GB 850 EVO MZ-75E250B/AM($93.89 @ Newegg)
Total:$680.82
Price may include shipping, rebates, promotions, and tax
Generated byPC Hound

Only thing I need is a case since my antec is in rough shape after 5-6 years now.

Thoughts? Im not super heavy into gaming like I once was, so I just cant justify something absurdly expensive or more than like 750. I just went with everything at Newegg since it was just a few dollars more on a couple pieces here and there overall and it would all get here at the same time... plus I love their service if things go south.

Keep in mind, this is mainly for games like Dota 2 and rpgs like PoE, Divinity etc.....not doing Bf4 at ultra settings or anything crazy.
I'd move to a i5 personally since you would still be just at or slightly above $750.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's like the popcorn dude at the movie theater. Would you like to upgrade to a large for just a quarter more?!

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
I currently have a GTX 560ti and its done a good job of running the MMOs I play (SWTOR and TESO primarily). I want to play Witcher 3 and eventually Fallout 4 so I need a better card, at least for Witcher 3. The local computer store who built my PC has a GTX 960 for $200. Is the 960 good enough for Witcher 3?

I have 16 GB of DDR3 RAM and I7 quad core 2.33 ghz processor.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What would be a good GPU to match up with an i5 3570k, that would also be able to run at 1440 on a 27" monitor? I am currently using a 560ti on a 24" monitor / 32" tv, and most everything I play looks great...it just can't quite hit/maintain 60fps. I'd prefer to just buy a new gpu and a new monitor. Any suggestions?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anything above 1080p and you're just going to want to buy a 980ti. Some games might run 'okay' on a 970 at 1440p, but they certainly won't run 'well.'

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What would be a good GPU to match up with an i5 3570k, that would also be able to run at 1440 on a 27" monitor? I am currently using a 560ti on a 24" monitor / 32" tv, and most everything I play looks great...it just can't quite hit/maintain 60fps. I'd prefer to just buy a new gpu and a new monitor. Any suggestions?
That's exactly my Pc. I have an i5 3570k and a Qnix 27" 1440p monitor. I bought a 970 about a year ago now and it runs everything great. Never notice a single bit of stuttering in Witcher 3, GTA 5, or any other new, high-end games. 970 runs them all like a champ on ultra settings.

I won't claim that it stays over 60fps all the time, but it stays over 30FPS 99.9% of the time, and generally closer to 60 than to 30, which is just fine by me. I don't feel like spending $600 on a video card to stay over 60FPS as opposed to my current rig probably averaging about 50fps.

Keep an eye out for 970 sales over the next few weeks(Cyber Monday and such) you may see them as low as $250 this November (they've already been seen dipping down to ~$270 on sale, so $250 wouldn't be a stretch.

I think the only setting on Witcher 3 I didn't leave maxed was the stupid Nvidia hairworks graphics...makes hair look dumb and is a ridiculous performance hit to boot.

Edit - here are some GTA5 benchmarks with my setup @ 1440p on ultra settings(everything maxed)

The majority of the GTA benchmark stays inthe 60-75FPS range, the only thing that drops significantly under 60 is the very end with the big expolosions of multiple vehicles, where it drops into the high 40s...still never even thinking about getting anywhere near the 30s or below.

pe8GjTo.jpg

TUegsCU.jpg

rdYLYyU.jpg

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
After reading here and rethinking of upgrading cpu's I dug around more, and still don't see the point. Seeing benchmarks off the charts comparing good gpu's with across the spectrum cpu's....and even 50 dollar processors paired with very good gpu's were getting 80+ fps. If Im going to spend the extra money, it will be there. Though for the games I tend to play, r9 290 seems to hit a lot of sweetspots and even beat the 970 at higher resolutions or at the very least be comparable with it for a lot less money (forget going 980+....seems like a complete waste for me).

When VR etc becomes the future and new machines will be needed for it, maybe then I will think about going more extreme, but other than epeen I just cant force myself to spend that much. Not that I cant, I'd just rather spend that money elsewhere on other hobbies (just bought some powerblock 90 weights etc which are amazing).

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Any way to predict what will go on sale for Cyber Monday? I'm thinking about building something on the cheap - like $600 or less if possible - that can run games like Witcher 3 at solid (40+) frames at 1080p.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Cyber Monday itself is usually pretty anticlimactic, but there are almost always some pretty crazy sales that just randomly happen throughout the month of November, and early December.

Put a build list together of what you roughly want, at the price you want it, and start checking Amazon, Newegg, and Slickdeals.net a couple times per day for sales.

You'll probably find almost every part you want at a lower price at some point this month than what it costs right now, but you won't find all of it for sale at 1 place, at 1 time. It'll take some work to be really frugal and save some significant money.

And be ready to spot equivalents. If you are looking for an Nvidia 970 for $250, be prepared to pounce on an AMD 390 at a price close to that as well.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Cyber Monday itself is usually pretty anticlimactic, but there are almost always some pretty crazy sales that just randomly happen throughout the month of November, and early December.

Put a build list together of what you roughly want, at the price you want it, and start checking Amazon, Newegg, and Slickdeals.net a couple times per day for sales.
I haven't built a PC in ages so I have no idea what is decent these days. Mostly looking for something mid-range that I can upgrade later.