Desktop Computers

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I haven't played in a few months (maybe better driver optimizations since then), but Witcher 3 would absolutely slow down on occasion on full ultra 1440p settings on my SLI 980 Ti setup.
i've played through Witcher 3 1440p on max settings (hair works on) on a single 980 TI classified and had no significant issues with frame drops. i doubt it would have ever dropped below 30. my GSync monitor might have helped.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
See, you kids have a very, very different definition of "smooth" than I do. Anything less than 60 is no longer smooth in my book, and anything below 30 is downright unplayable.

Sulrn

Deuces
I had a great (drunk) idea yesterday. So I read that high end computers actually convert electricity to heat better than a space heater. So I suggest we get into the business of selling these computers subsidized at a cost where you plug them in and to the end-user they operate as a space heater. But it is also connected to their internet connection so we can feed data for processing into these "space heaters" that we sold to people effectively making an AWS that gives the benefit of home heating. Naturally we sell the space heaters at a loss (and they require an active internet connection to work) and lease out processing time on the cluster.
Or you could update existing space heater design, make your millions exploiting the poor/cold, then buy a server farm and come out ahead on both ends.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well, I turned off the ridiculous hair effects, but other than that I never noticed any stutter anywhere during my 100 hours of playing.

FPS might have regularly dropped down into the 40s or something...but that's still smooth. I'm not someone who cares whether I'm at 60fps constantly or not. Keep me in the 30-60+ range and I'm fine, as long as there's no stutter, I'm good.
Still bullshit. My GTX 980 OCed to 1500 mhz and +400 mhz on ram couldn't keep the game at 50+ FPS with hairworks off on ultra at 1440p.

Yussef

Molten Core Raider
I had a great (drunk) idea yesterday. So I read that high end computers actually convert electricity to heat better than a space heater. So I suggest we get into the business of selling these computers subsidized at a cost where you plug them in and to the end-user they operate as a space heater. But it is also connected to their internet connection so we can feed data for processing into these "space heaters" that we sold to people effectively making an AWS that gives the benefit of home heating. Naturally we sell the space heaters at a loss (and they require an active internet connection to work) and lease out processing time on the cluster.
Data furnaces arrive in Europe: Free heating, if you have fibre Internet | Ars Technica UK

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Still bullshit. My GTX 980 OCed to 1500 mhz and +400 mhz on ram couldn't keep the game at 50+ FPS with hairworks off on ultra at 1440p.
The game is quite prone to microstutter, no matter how powerful your hardware is. People with SLI 980Tis benchmark at an average of like 200FPS, but still notice stutter when their frame rate drops down to "only" 100FPS. That's just a vsync/game engine issue more than anything. If you cap your FPS somewhat near your low-end FPS average, that generally removes most of the stutter. And Witcher 3 doesn't have a refresh rate option in-game, so you have to either set it through 3rd party software like Rivatuner.

A lot of people with high-end hardware and 144hz monitors find Witcher 3 almost unplayable with the wild swings in FPS from 144 back down to double-digits at times. G-sync/freesync monitors are the best soluition to this, but you can also arbitrarily cap your FPS low. I capped mine at 60, and I never noticed any signifiant stuttering as the game varied from 40-60 all the time.

For Whatever reason, Witcher 3s engine performs horribly if you just blast everything to full power and let it ride. You have to do a lot of tweaking and weird work-arounds to keep things smooth. But its not an issue with the horsepower of your system, its issues with their graphics engine.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
if i run a 50 ft cat6 from my desktop to my router (rather than using wifi) am i going to get hit with any slowdown / additional ping due to the length of the cable?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
if i run a 50 ft cat6 from my desktop to my router (rather than using wifi) am i going to get hit with any slowdown / additional ping due to the length of the cable?
You shouldn't. Most cat6 cable is good for 100ft runs before you get any degradation.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Finished up my build last night, at least to start stress testing. Still have to redo the wires and stuff.

The Fractal R5 is a nice case but I should have just gone with a Corsair 900D or something bigger/roomier than the R5 (probably should have just stuck to my Air 540). The R5 is not made to house a 280MM radiator and a bunch of shit in it. My mistake. Fantastic and quiet (holy shit is it quiet) case otherwise.
Define S bro, see my pics.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Quite the opposite. Hard wired is always far superior to WiFi in terms of speed / latency. (Provided your hardware isn't ancient)

You shouldn't. Most cat6 cable is good for 100ft runs before you get any degradation.
It is actually 100 meters (>300ft).

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
2500 MB/sec SSD on its way.

I don't really need food or heat. There's free coffee at the office.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
See, you kids have a very, very different definition of "smooth" than I do. Anything less than 60 is no longer smooth in my book, and anything below 30 is downright unplayable.
You have weird taste in women.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Define S bro, see my pics.
I actually looked at that after you'd posted it and considered it. Looks like a nice enough case. But I think when I ordered the R5 (damn ADD when making decisions) I'd decided I wanted a quiet case. In any event, I ended up getting the case setup *almost* exactly how I wanted it. I haven't had time yet to OC my CPU up to 4.8 like I'd planned, so I'll know how that goes as far as the heat with the R5 but so far so good. It is unreal how much quieter this case is compared to my last one. I've changed my opinion on the R5 from 6.5-7/10 to 9/10 for my situation.

I'll post some pics after I get a change to properly wire it this weekend. As of now I'm housing a 1050w SeaSonic Snow Silent, 980 Ti (soon to be two), Kraken X61, PCIe Intel SSD, a Samsung SSD, and 6 x HDD's. My CPU temps at idle are about 26-30 C.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah I'm aware of the 950 Pro's. But afaik only their 512 GB version hits 2500 MB/sec.

Both of them are fantastic drives - if I could go back in time I'd probably have chosen the Samsung over the Intel. Oh well.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So this isn't specific to PC's but figured this would be the best place to put it.

On my work laptop, some change was pushed by IT at some point, and now when I have Chrome open and I click on a link that has an .aspx extension, it opens a new window in IE. This is absolutely not happening to anyone else in the office that I have found, so I am not entirely sure how it is affecting me only.

Things I have tried and checked. Yes, Chrome is my default browser. I changed the associated file types of .asp and .aspx to Chrome. However, any link I click on that is .aspx is still opening in IE.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this? Shit is driving me crazy and I need to get it fixed!
Sorry to bump this up, but I am hoping someone has an answer. I have searched all over and just can't figure it out. It is driving me fucking crazy