Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
63oban2fsyaz.png

Requires MacroATX mobo

Not a problem!

CuUk4qj.png

797d6804-66fd-4122-a387-5185c3d25adf

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
FOH, I have a confession to make. For over 4 years, my 4770k had a stock cooler, because I was too lazy to install the spare 212 Evo on a shelf 2 feet away from my computer.

After 4 years of procrastinating, I actually installed it, because I was rebuilding the rest of the case and replacing some failed fans and I had noticed the thermal paste finally starting to fail on the stock cooler (86c on p95_266 is bad mkay.)

Why do people even buy other air coolers? I've built a ton of systems for other people and these things are cheaper and better than almost all the air coolers on the market.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Love mine. I've experimented with others over years but the 212 Evo is still my goto cooler if I have room in the case.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes
212 Evo is definitely a great value. Lags behind a lot of other coolers performance wise but if you're looking to get the most bang for your buck it is one of the best.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
Need a new M/b, CPU and RAM - looking to spend $1500-2000 and I'm totally out of the loop. What are the considerations running multiple clients - more cores the better ?

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Need a new M/b, CPU and RAM - looking to spend $1500-2000 and I'm totally out of the loop. What are the considerations running multiple clients - more cores the better ?

You're probably going to be in the market for the new 8700k. That thing looks like a goddamn monster.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
What do you mean by clients? What software apps and worloads do you care about most?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Sorry - multiple 4-5 gaming clients. Multiboxing.
Single graphics card for one person playing MMO on 1-2 displays?

Cannot go wrong with more cores then (theyre free by default now thanks to Zen and CoffeeLake). New 8700K looks really nice. But really if you are multiboxing something light like EQ then a six 8700K or eight core ryzen will be more than enough/overkill.

Only for simultaneous heavy threaded apps (ie multiple people playing game on same physical machine) will you need extra physical cores. In that case Ryzen will prob be a better investment: Zen might have a slightly lower peak thread performance but most likely be smoother gaming experience for the price you pay for your cores.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
There are rumors yet about when Nvidia will launch 11XX or whatever they are going to name them cards?

Pretty sure my 980ti is dying; get constant driver crashes and recoveries that no amount of reinstalling will fix. Only thing that seems to keep it from happening is forcing a downclock on the card, but I really don't want to buy a 1080ti this late in to the life cycle so hoping I can limp along for a few months if I can until a new launch.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There are rumors yet about when Nvidia will launch 11XX or whatever they are going to name them cards?

Pretty sure my 980ti is dying; get constant driver crashes and recoveries that no amount of reinstalling will fix. Only thing that seems to keep it from happening is forcing a downclock on the card, but I really don't want to buy a 1080ti this late in to the life cycle so hoping I can limp along for a few months if I can until a new launch.
New PSU?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Yeah I think Mist is on the right track. Unless you just abused the shit out of that card, it shouldn’t be behaving like that. It presents like a power issue.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I thought about that, but haven't been motivated enough to go rent one from Microcenter yet.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I mean, technically no, but they have a pretty generous return policy if it turns out that wasn't the issue.