Desktop Computers

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So got a call from my step dad today while at work. He says he got a new laptop, all good whatever. Then he says he loaded Office on it and it wouldn't get verified or whatever. So im like did you input code...Yep, so I dont fucking know what could be wrong....did you accept the popup to verify online? .......Uhh I dont think so I was scared... Its like WTF?

My favorite is being told by my parents my entire life if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. Then they get a computer, see an ad that tells them they won 10k dollars and they just can't help themselves. I get called 3 times a week by my father telling me how much money he has won.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The presets only go up to 4.0ghz, alot of these guys are getting almost 5ghz out of this chip. I'm just trying to get 4.4ghz out of it to tide me over until the next gen CPUs.
5ghz? I highly doubt that unless you are sending retarded amounts of voltage to the cpu. I have a 4690k which is the slightly better version of the 4670k, and mine tops out at 4.5ghz unless I use unsafe voltage.

And its a hard wall. 4.5ghz runs just fine at 1.23vcore, but to get 4.6ghz or more I have to do 1.3+ which isnt safe IMO. Even using 1.4vcore or more still tops out at 4.8ghz.

Hekotat

5ghz? I highly doubt that unless you are sending retarded amounts of voltage to the cpu. I have a 4690k which is the slightly better version of the 4670k, and mine tops out at 4.5ghz unless I use unsafe voltage.

And its a hard wall. 4.5ghz runs just fine at 1.23vcore, but to get 4.6ghz or more I have to do 1.3+ which isnt safe IMO. Even using 1.4vcore or more still tops out at 4.8ghz.

I was just going off the chart on overclockers/anandtech, I don't remember which. Lots were getting 4.9/5.0ghz. Seemed like the norm was between 4.6-4.8ghz. After fucking with for a bit I think I have it stable at 4.4ghz, doing a stress test now.

Got my power supply in and it's so damn big I can't put in my normal hard drives, thanks Corsair! Doesn't look too shabby though.

rEFhjpN.jpg

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy
I got a Corsair 800D case back in 2010 and I have no intention of getting rid of it for the foreseeable future. Thing is absurdly huge and managing everything is cake, even monster video cards and PSU cables are no problem.

Hekotat

I got a Corsair 800D case back in 2010 and I have no intention of getting rid of it for the foreseeable future. Thing is absurdly huge and managing everything is cake, even monster video cards and PSU cables are no problem.

Yeah, I'm really loving their products recently. Only thing that pisses me off is no compatibility charts. Had to buy a new case due to the cooler and now the power supply I bought didn't fit with the hard drive bays, would have been good to know before hand.

Hekotat

I guess rumors are next month for 2080 and 2070. Maybe I'll finally be able to get a video card

Godspeed.

If this cryptocurrency craze doesn't slow down they're gonna eventually have to start dialing back graphics on new games since most of us will still be running 1080s in 2025.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
desktop arrives Monday.

So, FedEx tracking shows desktop has delivered but it’s signed for by someone that does not work here.

I call Dell, get Dopinder on the line and he says “it’s delivered, signed for by so and so (who doesn’t fucking work here).” I explain that it isn’t here and no one by that name works here and he says “well too bad you’ll have to file a police report sorry.” No offer to check with their carrier.

So I call FedEx and find out the dumbass driver somehow managed to deliver it to the wrong address. I let them know if the box has been opened tomorrow when they deliver it I’ll just let them haul the damn thing back to Dell.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Recently had a laptop delivered by FedEx and the driver asked for my last name at least. Their signature pads aren't any better than the ones in the store it's just an unreadable mess so everyone just does a scribble. Probably covers their screwups more often than not but sucks for the customer.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I was putting together a smallish build with a 1080 ti. After adding up all the components I wanted, I was at $2300 with the price of GPUs being what they are. So I said fuck it and ordered a Corsair One Elite. Now I don’t have to build shit. This has to be the first prebuilt I have bought since my first computer.

• 1Solidarity

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
It was hard to pass on the prebuilt with GPUs where they are - if the prices ever become reasonable again I’ll probably pass it down to my son and build - otherwise it should last a while.

• 1Solidarity

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
I guess rumors are next month for 2080 and 2070. Maybe I'll finally be able to get a video card

nVidia is pretty predictable, they release a new generation at GTC in late May every even-number year, and availability of non-FE cards (or in this case, any availability whatsoever) doesn't begin meaningfully until June. With the mining rush, who knows what this will look like.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I am in the market for a new pre-built computer. I have an Acer Predator that I bought in January 2014 (Intel i7-4770, 3.4ghz, 12gb ddr3, GTX 660, 120gb SSD). It has been a great 4-year run, but it has started to act up in the last month. Applications are taking a minute to load when it use to be instantaneous. I will be in a game running normally then my screen will freeze for 10-15 seconds randomly, then pop back in or crash. My internal wifi card stopped working for a week, then started working again randomly. It feels like some of the hardware is starting to fail. I don't want to go through all the components individually trying to trouble shoot it.

I will look to spend around $1250 - $1500. Any recommendations on where I should be shopping?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I’d check out ibuypower or cyberpowerpc tbh. They can get you a decent prebuilt pc in that price range because they can get GPUs at normal price.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Live near a Microcenter? Their powerspec pc's are usually pretty decently priced and they use name brand components.

• 1Like

Eonan

Doer of Things
Just finished a new build yesterday...kind of.

Let me first say fuck ASUS X99 boards...never in my life have I had so many problems getting an initial boot going. The D slots for RAM just flat out "noped" on me and the board is hyper sensitive to CPU Heatsink pressure which can lead to the entire board just "nope"-ing out on you.

Easily one of the most frustrating builds I've done in a long time.

Hekotat

So, I am in the market for a new pre-built computer. I have an Acer Predator that I bought in January 2014 (Intel i7-4770, 3.4ghz, 12gb ddr3, GTX 660, 120gb SSD). It has been a great 4-year run, but it has started to act up in the last month. Applications are taking a minute to load when it use to be instantaneous. I will be in a game running normally then my screen will freeze for 10-15 seconds randomly, then pop back in or crash. My internal wifi card stopped working for a week, then started working again randomly. It feels like some of the hardware is starting to fail. I don't want to go through all the components individually trying to trouble shoot it.

I will look to spend around $1250 - $1500. Any recommendations on where I should be shopping?

A shitload have been popping up on slickdeals the last few weeks, one was an alienware with a 1080 for 1,100.00, just keep an eye out they seem to be unloading them lately.

• 1Like