Desktop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'm not positive but I'd be a bit leary of 1440p on a 1050 but maybe being the ti version it could pull it off and give decent frame rates

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am seriously thinking about just giving the 40" tv to our kindergarten (they were looking for a donation recently do display ... "stuff" on) and get a 27" gaming monitor.

Now being the cheapskate I am, I'll only have one of the following:
- 144 hz
- 1440p
cost is roughly the same, but explodes when you combine the two.

Which is the better choice, keeping in mind that I'm no ESL progamer and my system looks like this:

System Builder - Ryzen 5 1400 3.2GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix, Three Hundred ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker

which will pose less problems, running 144hz 1080p or running 60hz 1440p? I play WoW, Elite Dangerous and recently PUBG. I can live with medium settings if that means I get a clean nut.

Or I could just get a 60hz 1080p in 27" or 32" for 200-300€ and call it a day.

I'm sitting roughly 60-80cm away so the 40" tv has to go either way. I also have a 24" noname 60hz 1080p standing around doing nothing but I don't think I'd like that. 27" seems to be a nice size for desk stuff, 32" might already be too big.
I was always under the impression that going 144hz at 1080p was the way to go if you were trying to save money as everyone always seems to say that 144hz is like amazing. I'm in a similar boat, but just have a gtx 970 so won't pull the trigger for a while.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I have issues with 1440 in PUBG/BF1 on a 1070 currently. Neither of those games are optimized for shit but you will definitely have problems with some games.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Looking at benchmark graphs I guess my card's bar is half of a 1070's so I might just grab a 1080p 60hz and aim for size.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Alright. I take it DP is the way to go now, or is HDMI still any good? The new video card has DP and if I get a new monitor it will have DP as well so I might just spend €8 on a cable if it's the future...
(I read up a bit and compared some monitors and some come with a DP cable)

So I think I dun goofed. Bought that sweet G-Force and now reading about FreeSync and G-Sync and of course they are not compatible and the G-Sync monitors cost €100 more just because.

What the actual fuck.

another edit. ok so hdmi is shit for computers. good.

Last edited:

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
So, what's the consensus on Intel vs AMD these days? Especially in the "mid range" level? By that I mean the last times I've bought CPUs they've been slightly above average i5s. I just don't have the money to go after the new, high end shit.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Ronaan Ronaan they should be more or less equivalent provided hardware you have is up to HDMI 2.0 spec. Never had any trouble with Displayport. HDMI otoh can still be a pain in the rear trying to drive 4K @ 60hz .

Aaron Aaron if youre budget conscious, there was never a better time to buy AMD. Prices might trickle down a little more in a few weeks when AMD releases RyZen 2x00 and upgraded chipset motherboards (which I hear are supposed to have higher turbo boost frequencies). AM4 platform is now pretty stable, memory support is great, and getting better with new Ryzens and x470 chipsets.

AMD & Intel @ effective parity for most average situations in budget scenarios. Easy to go AMD unless you want to pay extra for pushing a high end system with high fps monitor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
^^^^ Cant understand this guy because hes got Intel cock down his troat choking off all feeling to his fingers as he types.

For gaming, INTEL is still king because of stronger single core performance. And since games still are pretty heavily designed for 2-4 cores, all that other core shit is useless. But who knows in the future. But If I were to buy a system today, hands down Intel all the way, Ill even spend the extra $100-$200 no problem.

But PC gaming today is all about the GPU. Buy the best GPU your money can afford. This will ultiamtely detirmine your gaming system more than any 10-20 fps difference in your processor.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ronaan Ronaan they should be more or less equivalent provided hardware you have is up to HDMI 2.0 spec. Never had any trouble with Displayport. HDMI otoh can still be a pain in the rear trying to drive 4K @ 60hz ...

I think that is exactly the limitation with HDMI though. IIRC, HDMI can only run 4k up to 24hz which is basically cinema (film) format. Fine for a home theater. Anything above that, you either have to run 2 HDMI cables, or use a single Display Port.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I think that is exactly the limitation with HDMI though. IIRC, HDMI can only run 4k up to 24hz which is basically cinema (film) format. Fine for a home theater. Anything above that, you either have to run 2 HDMI cables, or use a single Display Port.
Yeah I've set my mind on 27" 144Hz 1080p curved pretty much, only considering models that bring a displayport cable. Roughly 300€ doesn't sound too bad, should last me a bit. Samsung, Acer, AOC all pretty much the same? Or does one have much better panels than the others? Looked at a few reviews but all I found out is that yes, indeed, tested_monitor## is a fine piece of technology. Well thanks. Limited amazon reviews too, for the ones I considered. Meh.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
hdmi 1.4 is limited to 30Hz yep. hdmi 2.0 can do 60hz, with the right cable, the right driver on the right display.

For example with my 4k TV Windows does a 60hz refresh but Linux only does 30Hz because it respects the screwed up hdmi display profile in TV. f*ck hdmi, unfortunately tis hard to avoid for htpcs since all recievers all use hdmi for audio/video passthrough.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Intel and AMD fanboys everywhere have a lot to look forward to. Yes, Ryzen slower. but uncomfortably competative in general on the desktop, even in a lot of common gaming setups. The next gen Intel process is having yield problems and quite late. But there is hope looming on the horizon for both camps since Raja (the AMD Vega mastermind!) moved to Intel: it shall be named RAJABEE and its praises will be sung far and wide since Intel Gfx are so wonderful !!

Pretty soon all Intel faithful might find themselves buying a winning "AMD like" Gfx design embedded with their bestest CPU. Either that or more crippled Vega custom designs.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
Acer XZ271 joining my desk tomorrow. Yay amazon prime next day shipping. €263 via warehouse deals. This will be good.
Giving my 40" tv to our kindergarten. Theirs broke so right now they can't show educational videos.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks. I've been wondering about CPU vs GPU lately as my CPU is ~4 years old and I don't seem to be having any problems. When I get home I might just post my computer specs and see what you folks would recommend upgrading on a budget.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If CPU is 4 yrs old its still fine, im assuming its intel i5 or i7. So with that out of the way, nvidia 1070 for 1080p and nvidia 1080+ for anything above 1080p.