Desktop Computers

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Interesting things afoot, Intel Rajabe due in 2020! Seems real, finally more competition looming for consumer graphics, I sincerely hope AMD RTG and NVIDIA get chopped down a notch by Intel so we have some more affordable GPUs.

Intel makes it a three-way race with AMD and Nvidia on graphics chips

Do not think AMD too worried yet, now that they have a small foothold in a profitable high margin market with Epyc. With a chance at a decent a 15-25% + bite of the $18 Billion server side pie, perhaps more with Zen 2+, their Radeon Tech Group funding should stabilize at least through 2020.

CPU side with Intels new LGA 3647 Multi-chip modules CPUs @ 10nm it is finally looking like there might be more interesting options to compete with Zen 2 Threadrippers next summer/fall.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
For minimum pain I would go with 2 or 3 drives: 1 small m.2 SSD for the OS and maybe a game or two, 1 large HDD for media and such, and optionally another SSD for games and other programs. The benefit of using 3 drives is that if you keep windows and nothing else on it's own drive, recovering from OS problems becomes very easy. Just nuke the OS drive and reinstall and you're back in business.

Managed to get a new 1080ti on Amazon for $750.00 (should ship tomorrow), and found a pretty good deal for the processor and MB at the nearest Micro Center ($460 when purchased together). Prices there seem on par to every other spot with a few pieces being cheaper after rebates so gonna head there after work tomorrow and see what I can do. As for the Samsung m.2 ssd, would I have any issues saving the OS to it before updating the drivers and whatnot? Couldn't find any info other than videos saying to update the ssd before doing anything, which would require Windows installed first? Not really sure how that would work.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Managed to get a new 1080ti on Amazon for $750.00 (should ship tomorrow), and found a pretty good deal for the processor and MB at the nearest Micro Center ($460 when purchased together). Prices there seem on par to every other spot with a few pieces being cheaper after rebates so gonna head there after work tomorrow and see what I can do. As for the Samsung m.2 ssd, would I have any issues saving the OS to it before updating the drivers and whatnot? Couldn't find any info other than videos saying to update the ssd before doing anything, which would require Windows installed first? Not really sure how that would work.

They're probably talking about a possible UEFI update for the mobo before it will recognize the SSD. What mobo did you get? Most new ones will allow you to download updates for the UEFI from within the UEFI. I built a PC for a friend a few years ago that required a UEFI update before it would recognize the m.2 SSD, but the one I built for myself this year did not need one to see it.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
They're probably talking about a possible UEFI update for the mobo before it will recognize the SSD. What mobo did you get? Most new ones will allow you to download updates for the UEFI from within the UEFI. I built a PC for a friend a few years ago that required a UEFI update before it would recognize the m.2 SSD, but the one I built for myself this year did not need one to see it.

That may be as well, but what I read was specifically for the Samsung 970 evo. Something about going to the Samsung website and updating there. At work atm so can't really dig around to find what i'm talking about specifically...

Most likely going with the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING mobo also btw.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I have the 960 evo m.2, never had to do any updating of the drive itself. There is a driver update for the 970 on Samsung's website, but it should work out of the box as your OS drive.

I have the E version of that mobo (the only difference it mine has wifi), and I've had no issues with it. Haven't gotten around to messing around with overclocking on it, I still have my liquid cooler sitting here that I need to install.

• 1Like

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I have the 960 evo m.2, never had to do any updating of the drive itself. There is a driver update for the 970 on Samsung's website, but it should work out of the box as your OS drive.

I have the E version of that mobo (the only difference it mine has wifi), and I've had no issues with it. Haven't gotten around to messing around with overclocking on it, I still have my liquid cooler sitting here that I need to install.

Awesome, thanks man!

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Anyone ever ship a PC a considerable distance with any luck? Don't really want to build out a new PC here in Colorado while one.I made not long ago sits in Oregon

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I wouldnt hold your breath. Last time Intel tried to do anything with graphics beyond their barebones igps, they failed horribly;

Larrabee (microarchitecture) - Wikipedia

Also Raja is the man behind Vega.

Vega isn't a bad card, it's just a card that tried to be too many things to too many different groups of people (miners vs. gamers vs. developers), and naturally AMD sided with the miners because they can make more shekels from them.

And lest we forget, while AMD's graphics drivers have been improving gradually for years, it was under Raja that they got updated to Crimson, got rewritten in Qt, and generally became really good. Intel's iGPUs have traditionally been pretty beefy on paper, especially Haswell and beyond, it's mostly the drivers that hold them back. It's all about optimization, and if they get a good team in place, Intel has a fuckton of money to entice developers to optimize for their architecture. Think Gimpworks on a titanic scale.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Anyone ever ship a PC a considerable distance with any luck? Don't really want to build out a new PC here in Colorado while one.I made not long ago sits in Oregon

Remove, all accessory cards, power supply, RAM and CPU(pack them all separately) lots and lots of padding inside the case, and around it, and bubble wrap the case like crazy, and you should be fine, it's a pain in the ass but with the way USPS/UPS is harsh on packages it's the only way..

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Even if you eventually could get them to reimburse for shipping problems it not like you want to deal with this kind of crap.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I've only ever shipped a completed PC once, from my home too were I was working in Florida(at the time), work paid too have it shipped via Delta..

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Even if you eventually could get them to reimburse for shipping problems it not like you want to deal with this kind of crap.

Man fed ex fucking sucks...

Had a package that needed a signature by adult...Fucking delivered it 3 days in a row at 9AM, WHEN PEOPLE ARE AT FUCKING WORK. The slips they left did not say where the package is left to pick up. Go to website, that does not say either, just says "Waiting on further instructions" or some shit. So I get a phone number after calling like 3 fed ex places to call to find out where the fuck my package is. Call, get put on hold for hour. finally talk to someone and find out my package is in some local ship center that I never heard about.

Customer service sucks, Website sucks, and their drivers are fucking retards.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yep, went today to pick up said package. Stood there in the lobby for 45min while they try to fucking find it. Low Energy.

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
So, I won a 8086K in the intel sweepstakes. 2 months after I built a 8700k box. lol

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users