Desktop Computers

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
It's more a budgetary question. Intel/Nvidia is more money. If you want value for your dollar, AMD. Check out benchmarks for the games you will be playing.

I mean if I’m looking to spend $1200ish (maybe up to $1400) am I sacrificing a lot by going AMD in terms of performance or am I gaining anything or should I stick with Intel/Nvidia?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I mean if I’m looking to spend $1200ish (maybe up to $1400) am I sacrificing a lot by going AMD in terms of performance or am I gaining anything or should I stick with Intel/Nvidia?

Depends, if you strictly game on this PC, and do nothing but game and surf, then Intel still has better offerings, bigger clocks and better per core performance. But if you do anything else which requires multi-threading, for instance Gaming AND streaming, or video encoding or any of that other shit, then AMD is the better choice.

I would wait to see AMDs next offering, which should be soon with their latest next generation of processors, some say they will finally be equal to or even overtake Intel.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I don’t stream, game and surf is it.

And sadly my current desktop is on its last legs, so I can’t really wait.

Im pretty much in your boat so I chose the i5 9600K along with s 1070 (that I already had). You dont need more than 6 cores for games (although that is changing) and I got the proc to run at 5ghz on air, although I toned it down to 4.8ghz since. I can pretty much run everything at 130-150 FPS @1080p. I got the mobo and proc from microcenter for $330 ish? The 1070 I had was severely being bottle necked by my i5 3570. Same games (BF5) that now run at steady100-130FPS were barely getting 60FPS and sometimes dipping into 30-40s.

Last edited:

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

It all depends on the games, resolution/type of monitor, and ultra settings. If you’re going to use a regular 60hz 1080p monitor and play games that aren’t high end latest bleeding edge graphics, AMD should be fine. Check out benchmarks.

Since your budget is $1400 or less you probably won’t be buying a 144hz gsync or freesync monitor, meaning you only need to look for the cpu and video card that will deliver consistent 60fps for the games you’ll be playing. That can be pretty cheap today.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'm starting to look into all this now. Man, Im so out of touch with specs and bench marks I almost don't know where to begin. My old PC is rocking a gtx760 to I'm sure almost anything will seem like a night and day difference.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'm starting to look into all this now. Man, Im so out of touch with specs and bench marks I almost don't know where to begin. My old PC is rocking a gtx760 to I'm sure almost anything will seem like a night and day difference.
Article above still reccomends i7 8700K for all around proc. The new one, i7 9700K now sports 8 cores instead of 6, but does not have HT which kicks up the core count to 12 and its like $50-$70 more.

But the new AMD, Ryzen 3000, should be dropping this summer, supposedly im hearing they will be better than prevous per core performance and clocks and come in 8, 12, 16 core variety and probably a hell of a lot cheaper than intel versions. Reports/rumors is 8/16 version for $250-$300ish range?

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
They are also some leaks of a AMD video cards coming, The lower end which is 1060+ comparable power for $130. Only utilizing the slot power BTW.

AMD was always the low to mid market leaders. Imagine a Video card that could run 60+FPs on a 1080p for less than $200? They would sell like hotcakes.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I used a few sites and the cheapest build I had was around $1400

I can part pick the same things from Micro Center and get bundle discounts for between $1000-$1100 then I'll just pay the shop down the street $75 to assemble it for me I think.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I used a few sites and the cheapest build I had was around $1400

I can part pick the same things from Micro Center and get bundle discounts for between $1000-$1100 then I'll just pay the shop down the street $75 to assemble it for me I think.

I would go the second option. Have issues? Bring that shit right to that mofo to fix.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
That was also part of my thought as well. Plus I can make some kid happy walking in thereat Micro Center, and with minimal work he'll get commission off a $1000 that all he had to do was go find the parts for.

Plus I love Micro Center and since it's an hour away the wife will wanna go and we can make a day of it and go out to eat. it's wins all around.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

I got the itch and built one this past week. Went really budget, ryzen 5 2600, RX 570 etc.

Thought was I can use it, and it's amazing compared to what I had (i7 920, GTX something 4 years old). Then if the new stuff is really a leap forward, give it to the wife or turn it into a backup and build a top end one on Black Friday 2019.

Cost around 900$