Desktop Computers

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That article mentioned about the same MSRP as the Nvidia 2080, if thats the case Nvidia will win every time because its Nvidia. Who in their right mind would choose same price AMD, with same bench as Nvidia, but without the superb Nvidia drivers and support? If they want to infiltrate the market, they need to be as good as Nvidia but with a substantial cheaper card.

Argarth

On the verandah
Unfortunately, and as suspected the Radeon VII really does appear to be a filler card. Navi missing in action until the end of the year I believe?

Ordinary performance, crappy driver (overclocking borked), power hungry, poor reference cooler and really noisy too boot. Even the 16Gig of HBM2 adds nothing right now.

Perhaps a "miracle" driver update, and a new board-partner cooling solution might help, but there really isn't ANYTHING to get excited about. I'm not even in the market (bought a 1080Ti about a year ago) and I'm disappointed because I wanted just a little something to cheer about.

Perfect timing from NVidia patching in Adaptive Sync driver support last month, and pretty much the head-shot that finishes it off.
:(

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Damn. I was really looking forward to this card (even though it probably is a stop-gap). But driver issues on a $700 card is not what I'm looking for right now.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got both my kids the 480RX or whatever, good cards for 1080 at the time, but the drivers were shit. Fucking graphical glitches in pretty much all the games, etc..

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Unfortunately, and as suspected the Radeon VII really does appear to be a filler card. Navi missing in action until the end of the year I believe?

Ordinary performance, crappy driver (overclocking borked), power hungry, poor reference cooler and really noisy too boot. Even the 16Gig of HBM2 adds nothing right now.

Perhaps a "miracle" driver update, and a new board-partner cooling solution might help, but there really isn't ANYTHING to get excited about. I'm not even in the market (bought a 1080Ti about a year ago) and I'm disappointed because I wanted just a little something to cheer about.

Perfect timing from NVidia patching in Adaptive Sync driver support last month, and pretty much the head-shot that finishes it off.
:(

Well that sucks. Was hoping we saw more from AMD.

Argarth

On the verandah
Never saw it mentioned: can amd cards use gsync features now?

Can't see how that would ever happen, given that G Sync is a proprietary solution (driver/scalar PCB). I believe AMD would need a license to be able to write their own driver code.

NVidia has no reason to open their private ecosytem in that way, and they are still selling GSync as the "premium" solution anyway. (that's my take on it)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gak

<Gold Donor>
iamdisappointed.gif

No reason for Nvidia to drop prices still.
"We made a 7nm 2080 that sucks 50-90 watts more powa !"
"Did we mention it sounds like a jet taking off ?!"

amd-78563.jpg

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Any good dual monitor mounts with c-clamp design and no issues with the desk being against the wall? Or will that force me to use a stand type mount?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
@Dom So last weekend, my new Acer monitor was perfect. Gone a week for work and back now and it's got a flicker. Like a cable is loose or something, but the cable is fine.

Are you or anyone else aware of weird flicker issues when using 1440p, 144hz on display port, and then 1080p 60hz on HDMI?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
@Dom So last weekend, my new Acer monitor was perfect. Gone a week for work and back now and it's got a flicker. Like a cable is loose or something, but the cable is fine.

Are you or anyone else aware of weird flicker issues when using 1440p, 144hz on display port, and then 1080p 60hz on HDMI?

Not that I'm aware of. First inclination would be a bad cable but it would be odd to have both HDMI and dp cables be bad. (try others anyway) Is this happening with freesync enabled? Try with it off. Also try using it on a different system if able.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not that I'm aware of. First inclination would be a bad cable but it would be odd to have both HDMI and dp cables be bad. (try others anyway) Is this happening with freesync enabled? Try with it off. Also try using it on a different system if able.
The Flicker was just on the Acer connected via DP. But I thought maybe the 2 together might be causing issues, with different refresh rates or something. I'm not sure if I have Freesync even enabled, but will check in the OSD.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The Flicker was just on the Acer connected via DP. But I thought maybe the 2 together might be causing issues, with different refresh rates or something. I'm not sure if I have Freesync even enabled, but will check in the OSD.

The order of troubleshooting I'd go through would be cables > freesync > default monitor settings> firmware (propably none available) > reinstall gpu drivers/see if other monitor drivers are being used > test on different pc > Try a lower refresh rate (return if it only works at a sub 144hz as it means it's faulty and will probably get worse over time) > google for similar issues > contact acer for advice > RMA/return

Also make sure you actually have Windows set it to 144hz in display settings/properties (this trips up a lot of people. Can also set it in your driver panel)