Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I've owned a PC since 1998 but I've never overclocked one. So I'm dipping into new waters and could use some advice/recommendations.

Current relevant PC parts:
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400
MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC
Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 Black Window High-Airflow ATX Midtower Computer Case

My motherboard still has the BIOS version (F5e) that allows overclocking for non-K CPUs VIA adjusting the CPU base clock.

A) Is there a website or listing of stable BCLK/Voltage/DRAM settings for the i5-6500? I've found some information but it's 3+ years old and I'm worried about doing something very wrong.
B) If available, what would you recommend for a cooler for under $50 and able to fit into the case? So far my research has lead me to Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (RR-212E-20PK-R2) CPU Cooler

The goal is to keep this system playing games well for another year or two until the next build.

Relying on stable settings listed by other people will lead you to frustration. Every piece of hardware is different, and your results will vary from others. Find a guide that gives step-by-step instructions on the process and then go through the unfortunately time-consuming process of dialing in your settings. Don't worry about the age of the article, if it looks well made and thorough, go with it. Little will have changed.

Hyper 212 EVO was the best budget cooler for quite some time but others have taken its place. Look into stuff from Cryorig, as they were the current budget king the last time I looked.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
How do people feel about

this case? I don't really give a shit about RGB nonsense as I'll keep my computer under my desk, but I'd also rather keep my purchase under $100.
I've had my Antec Three Hundred for over 10 years now so I'll just plug the new version, aptly named Antec Three Hundred Two.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've had my Antec Three Hundred for over 10 years now so I'll just plug the new version, aptly named Antec Three Hundred Two.
when did newegg start using cute asian girls to review stuff?
a8d1540a82f3b627b966cbd28f4d9437.jpg

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
B series boards are lower end boards that have cheaper components and less features. Generally not an issue if you're not overclocking and don't need specific things, but you are getting a cheaper product that will usually have lower-end onboard sound, lan, USB etc... In the specific B board you linked the main thing that pops up is that its ram speed compatibility is super low. If you want to overclock at all, you definitely don't want a B series board. Note that the Z series boards come in many price points, so you have a lot to choose from that are cheaper than the one you linked.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Also worth considering that if you ever want to use VR on the system you're building, you're going to need copious amounts of USB which tend to be in short supply on B boards. The audio connections are limited as well.

As to the OC stuff, don't just decide to not overclock for no specific reason. It's super easy to do and not doing so is like choosing to buy a cheaper cpu for the price of a better one just for shits and giggles. This doesn't apply if you're specifically trying to save money by skimping on cooling/board quality.

Edit: He edited the links in case people are wondering why I'm talking about B series boards.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Edit: He edited the links in case people are wondering why I'm talking about B series boards.
sorry, saw the boards that don't require a bios upgrade to use 9th generation boards and was hoping to get the edit in before anyone read :D

I'm assuming everything you're saying holds true for the low end MSi vs high end MSi I linked.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
sorry, saw the boards that don't require a bios upgrade to use 9th generation boards and was hoping to get the edit in before anyone read :D

I'm assuming everything you're saying holds true for the low end MSi vs high end MSi I linked.

Pretty much. It's a case of you get what you pay for, except that a larger share of the money goes more towards bling/super-hardcore OC components the higher you go.

I personally like the mid-high range boards which go for around $~200. But if you're not going to OC, then you'll be perfectly fine with a $130-$175 one if it meets the connections you need. Just try to do some research as not all boards are equal when it comes to quality, even within a manufacturers offerings.

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Looking to upgrade my cpu / mobo / ram.

One thing I never really understood, as a gamer if I use one GPU, two sticks of RAM and don't overclock is there any value in buying this:

MSI MEG Z390 GODLIKE LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Over this:

MSI Z390-A PRO LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

?

I don't think the "Godlike" board is worth it. But the less expensive one does not have on-board Wi-Fi. Plan accordingly.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The Godlike board is a trap for newbs with too much money. The only legitimate buyers for it would be super serious OC'ers because it's generally considered one of the better models for OC'ing due to the extensive amount of tools to work with and the quality of the components.

As for the Wi-Fi, a surprising number of boards don't include it even in the mid-high range. It's worth considering if you're going to need/want it and bluetooth on top of that (xbox wireless controller/phone apps and so on)

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I probably should've picked a mid-range board to compare to, because it's a more reasonable purchase.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Buying my Ryzen 7 2700X and MSI Mobo soon. Along with 32GB of high quality RAM to upgrade my machine. I have a nVidia GTX... any contention here that I shouldn't go with this or full steam ahead boys?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah I probably should've picked a mid-range board to compare to, because it's a more reasonable purchase.

Nah, it was a fair question. Motherboards are confusing as all hell unless you put a lot of effort trying to translate it.

Simple checklist would be:

Does it support my CPU/Ram (ram speeds included)
Does it have the USB/Audio connections I need
Does it have wi-fi/bluetooth if I need them
Is it the size format I need (ATX/MITX etc...)
Can I get a board with a better quality onboard sound/lan/USB for the same price
Is it considered a good OC board if I want to OC
Are there an abnormal number of issues that people are posting about
Am I happy with the warranty/RMA service being offered

And that's pretty much it. The rest is just down to finding the lowest price that meets those things.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Buying my Ryzen 7 2700X and MSI Mobo soon. Along with 32GB of high quality RAM to upgrade my machine. I have a nVidia GTX... any contention here that I shouldn't go with this or full steam ahead boys?

Do you have a specific need for 32 gigs of ram? If not, put that extra money towards something else as 16 is perfectly fine for gaming/normal usage. Can't comment on the AMD stuff other than that having an nvidia card doesn't matter. They're perfectly compatible.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Do you have a specific need for 32 gigs of ram? If not, put that extra money towards something else as 16 is perfectly fine for gaming/normal usage. Can't comment on the AMD stuff other than that having an nvidia card doesn't matter. They're perfectly compatible.
wait, isn't this cheap ram time tho? if he can splurg, might as well while the market is good

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

It only costed like $65 more to get the extra 16GB so I figured why not.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

Rumor is that at least some of the 3rd Gen Ryzen will be out in July. This should include a couple CPUs where both the speed and boost are solidly in 4GHz range. One might possibly hit 5GHz stock.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
wait, isn't this cheap ram time tho? if he can splurg, might as well while the market is good

It is, but splurging on something that has no benefit instead of spending the money on something that will (more storage, maybe a higher cpu model) is just bad purchase decision making. It's a binary performance concern. You're either using it or not. It has no effect otherwise. If he was just throwing money at everything I wouldn't have even mentioned it, but he's working within a budget of some sort which means it's better used elsewhere.

It only costed like $65 more to get the extra 16GB so I figured why not.

See above. You'll never use that much in gaming outside of very niche situation. That much ram is needed for things like content creation (video etc...) and work-related stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Rumor is that at least some of the 3rd Gen Ryzen will be out in July. This should include a couple CPUs where both the speed and boost are solidly in 4GHz range. One might possibly hit 5GHz stock.

Not concerned on that front. I've had the same CPU /mobo since 2013. This should be a hearty upgrade regardless?