Desktop Computers

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
What would people say is the sweet spot for a mid range graphics card? I'm trying to decide if the GTX 2060 is worth it. Or if I should drop down to like an RX580 and wait

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Ryzen Online.

I hadn't installed a motherboard in 15 fucking years. That sucked. Primarily because the original setup in this box was professionally wired. So nothing had any slack in it. I had to cut all the nicely prepared wire management ties so shit could reach where I needed it to. Bios needs some TLC but other than that we're flying. I had thought the red lights on this mobo were all debug lights. But I guess this one also has lights indicating this or that is connected correctly. Weird.

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Weeeeeee, new build refuses to boot. Worked fine last night and today when I try to start it everything lights up and runs but the CPU light remains solid red and I don't get to a BIOS screen.

Tried:
  • Checking and reseated CPU power connectors between mobo and PSU, fine and seated.
  • Removed RAM and tried each stick one by one, including putting in an old one that was known good from my old build.
  • Removed GPU and used onboard still blank no output or error codes
  • Reseated CPU and checked for any signs of damage on the socket and chip itself, all clean.
  • Set CPU_OV jumper back to default to remove any potential OC issues no change.
  • Cleared CMOS (Popped battery and shorted jumper for an extended period) no change
Only thing I haven't messed with was the PSU which at the moment is more work than I'm willing to put in vs just RMAing the board assuming it is probably the issue. Bummer is i'm heading out to SF tomorrow for RSAC so I can't do any of this shit until I get back :(

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
What would people say is the sweet spot for a mid range graphics card? I'm trying to decide if the GTX 2060 is worth it. Or if I should drop down to like an RX580 and wait
Depends what games, what resolution, and what framerate you'd like to achieve. I bought a Vega 56 blower style card for $250 with 3 games last week but I don't know you could get that deal again.

A 580 should be able to handle most games at 1080 just fine and that also comes with 2 games these days (I've seen as low as $165?)

2060 looks like a nice card but I don't like the prices, the base models are triple slot cards with one fan, if you step up past that then all the value starts to be questionable.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yep, my new build refuses to boot too. The mobo warning lights indicate CPU and DRAM, alternating between the two. I reset the CMOS battery, redid every single thing from scratch, still no luck. Finally decided to do a close check of stuff, and you guys tell me, is this a bent pin in the CPU socket? Kind of looks like it to me, but my fucking eyesight up close has gotten a lot worse over the last couple years so I can't tell for sure. (And yes, before you say anything, I did get some of the thermal paste on the mobo there when I tried to lift the cpu out just now. It is non-conductive, and it wasn't there all weekend when I was trying to make this shit work, so it isn't the cause of my problems.)

On top of that, my monitor has what almost looks like a fingerprint impressed into the panel that is clearly visible when the background is dark (like this forum). So yay, I get to return that for sure, and probably the mobo if you guys agree that's a bent pin and I can't fix it myself.

cpu pin - Copy.jpg

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
Yep, my new build refuses to boot too. The mobo warning lights indicate CPU and DRAM, alternating between the two. I reset the CMOS battery, redid every single thing from scratch, still no luck. Finally decided to do a close check of stuff, and you guys tell me, is this a bent pin in the CPU socket? Kind of looks like it to me, but my fucking eyesight up close has gotten a lot worse over the last couple years so I can't tell for sure. (And yes, before you say anything, I did get some of the thermal paste on the mobo there when I tried to lift the cpu out just now. It is non-conductive, and it wasn't there all weekend when I was trying to make this shit work, so it isn't the cause of my problems.)

On top of that, my monitor has what almost looks like a fingerprint impressed into the panel that is clearly visible when the background is dark (like this forum). So yay, I get to return that for sure, and probably the mobo if you guys agree that's a bent pin and I can't fix it myself.

View attachment 196985
Yeah thats a bent pin. Maybe 2.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Time to get you a shot of whiskey, some tweezers, and a magnifying glass.

Will a warranty even cover that? Something physical they can just pass off on you breaking?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
He didn't say he was going to beat off did he?
That's fucking funny, I don't care who you are.

Time to get you a shot of whiskey, some tweezers, and a magnifying glass.

Will a warranty even cover that? Something physical they can just pass off on you breaking?

It was Amazon, so I already requested a replacement. Even if it worked perfectly, I could have always returned it and just lost the shipping amount. It being defective saves me the shipping, and they don't wait for my return to send the new one. Only shitty thing is that apparently returns don't use Prime shipping, so it is expected to get here next fucking Monday instead of in 2 days, which is fucking ridiculous.

The monitor is through a third party though (but still Amazon), so I had to return it and wait for the refund, which means I had to just buy a fucking new one if I don't want to wait weeks for all that shit to finalize. It also went up $10, which isn't a big deal but it's the principle of the thing, that they don't just replace it. Instead I have to go through these extra steps and extra costs.

Now let's hope that was the only thing wrong with the system. I'm gonna be super triggered if I get the new mobo and it still doesn't boot.

I've never had a bent pin like that; I'm assuming that could have caused the "no boot" error easily, correct?

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
That's fucking funny, I don't care who you are.

It was Amazon, so I already requested a replacement. Even if it worked perfectly, I could have always returned it and just lost the shipping amount. It being defective saves me the shipping, and they don't wait for my return to send the new one. Only shitty thing is that apparently returns don't use Prime shipping, so it is expected to get here next fucking Monday instead of in 2 days, which is fucking ridiculous.

The monitor is through a third party though (but still Amazon), so I had to return it and wait for the refund, which means I had to just buy a fucking new one if I don't want to wait weeks for all that shit to finalize. It also went up $10, which isn't a big deal but it's the principle of the thing, that they don't just replace it. Instead I have to go through these extra steps and extra costs.

Now let's hope that was the only thing wrong with the system. I'm gonna be super triggered if I get the new mobo and it still doesn't boot.

I've never had a bent pin like that; I'm assuming that could have caused the "no boot" error easily, correct?

Could have very easily caused a no boot error and i would have just sent it back too. I dont mess with stuff anymore since amazon started selling everything. Plus youre old and blind so it would have been worse afterwards.

• 1Worf

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
PCPartPicker part list: System Builder - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core, GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO, H500i (Black) ATX Mid Tower - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant: System Builder - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core, GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB G... - Prices By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($525.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($155.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 DESIGNARE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($268.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($167.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($247.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K4000 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.88 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card ($809.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H500i (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Dell - AW3418DW 34.1" 3440x1440 120 Hz Monitor ($879.99 @ Amazon)
Other: NZXT Internal USB Hub ($19.58 @ Amazon)
Total: $3595.16
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-04 13:31 EST-0500

Final part should arrive today.(internal usb hub) which I didn't know I would need until I started putting it together this past weekend. I did boot it up long enough to see if it would, had to clear the cmos but was fine after that. Will be working with lots of audio/video so should be more than capable while also being a nice gaming rig.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard

Bent pin can cause a failure to boot. It can also send your fancy new hardware to an early grave. Probably a manufacturing defect. Asus used to be really good at sending out defective boards and refusing to replace them. What board did you get?

Get in the habit of checking out everything before you assemble.

• 1Garbage

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Bent pin can cause a failure to boot. It can also send your fancy new hardware to an early grave. Probably a manufacturing defect. Asus used to be really good at sending out defective boards and refusing to replace them. What board did you get?

Get in the habit of checking out everything before you assemble.
This one:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
So if I have the Z390 mo-bo, how hard would it be to just plug in i9 instead of an i5 I have?

Z390 is the chipset? You’re more interested in the socket type of the i5 vs i9. If they’re both 1151 you’re good?

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Well, zero overclock on my 2600 and vega 56 and I can maintain 60 fps @1440p ultra on Witcher 3 (4k screen won't go over 60 anyways)

Pretty fucking pleased so far. Wonder if I can push 4k on an overclock with a few settings turned down.