Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Noodleface Noodleface 3800mhz at 1.35v crashed immediately. Stepped down to 3700mhz at 1.35, and see what I get.

I was running Prime95 for about 30 minutes last weekend, at 3600mhz, but I think a lower voltage. My biggest issue is I don't know the steps up or down for voltage. 1.35, to 1.34? to 1.33? A lot of boards have pre-set voltages, but not mine so I don't know the appropriate steps up or down.

Brikker

Trump's Staff

ha.

I'll check out the links provided :p

Mostly I'm just at the point where 1. i make enough money that I don't mind paying more to have someone do the work, 2. I work like 50-60 hours a week on average so why not save a bit of time and just get the finished product without the hassle and 3. I found like $3k in apple stock I forgot I had in a random schwab account, maybe cash it and build a cyberpunk-able PC :p

Last edited:

Crone

ha.

I'll check out the links provided :p

Mostly I'm just at the point where 1. i make enough money that I don't mind paying more to have someone do the work, 2. I work like 50-60 hours a week on average so why not save a bit of time and just get the finished product with the hassle and 3. I found like $3k in apple stock I forgot I had in a random schwab account, maybe cash it and build a cyberpunk-able PC :p
Valid points. I actually enjoy building PCs, so I don't mind it and it saves me money along the way.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
@Dom what do you do with your old screens? You seem to go through so many.

I don't, really. I have a couple TV's (one I used as a monitor) a cheap 24" 144hz monitor I use for a second screen, some old ass early LCD's that I'm too lazy to throw out, and have had two others. One I sold (same as the one you bought) and an Acer 144hz IPS that I bought but returned due to BLB.

I've just been on the hunt for a monitor that I actually like for so long that I've been in a perpetual purchase-research mode for the past 2 years, to the point I know a fair amount about the tech/industry.

Crone

I don't, really. I have a couple TV's (one I used as a monitor) a cheap 24" 144hz monitor I use for a second screen, some old ass early LCD's that I'm too lazy to throw out, and have had two others. One I sold (same as the one you bought) and an Acer 144hz IPS that I bought but returned due to BLB.

I've just been on the hunt for a monitor that I actually like for so long that I've been in a perpetual purchase-research mode for the past 2 years, to the point I know a fair amount about the tech/industry.
What'd you sell your Acer for? Kinda want to sell mine.

To avoid Windows issue with refresh rates does resolution matter? Or just both be 144hz?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
What'd you sell your Acer for? Kinda want to sell mine.

To avoid Windows issue with refresh rates does resolution matter? Or just both be 144hz?

$280 cad, but I regret it because Nvidia started supporting Freesync shortly after. I'd probably be using it instead of the TV now if I still had it.

Just the refresh rate. Some people report success with using the mobo's IGPU's for a second source for the second display, but it never worked for me.

Crone

Noodleface Noodleface 3800mhz at 1.35v crashed immediately. Stepped down to 3700mhz at 1.35, and see what I get.

I was running Prime95 for about 30 minutes last weekend, at 3600mhz, but I think a lower voltage. My biggest issue is I don't know the steps up or down for voltage. 1.35, to 1.34? to 1.33? A lot of boards have pre-set voltages, but not mine so I don't know the appropriate steps up or down.
Got it stable at 3.6Ghz, using 1.225v. Ran Prime95 for a little over 3 hours. Hit max temp of 72 degree C.

I feel like I can go higher, just haven't found the right voltage for it maybe? 3.7 at 1.35 crashed after about 3 minutes. 3.8 at 1.35 crashed instantly. 1.225 at 3.8 won't even load into windows. Lol.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What more voltage is going to do is just create more heat essentially. You want to use the minimum voltage where it won't crash instantly wont crash from overheating

Crone

What more voltage is going to do is just create more heat essentially. You want to use the minimum voltage where it won't crash instantly wont crash from overheating
Yea, I'll stick with 3.6 , and keep those lower temps. I'm on air, so going higher under load isn't really that great for me anyway. I don't mind the lower temps. Getting an extra 600mhz out of it is nice.

I'm now trying to OC my RAM, and that is a much more confusing process. My BIOS has pre-sets for all the RAM speeds, but it's a little unclear what I set voltages too.

Crone

I've never OCed RAM. Never really felt a need with mine at 3200MHz
Yea, mine's not there, so I want to try and hit that sweet spot for the infinity fabric. Tried a few things, and crashing, so still gotta tweak it.

So figured out where the LLC settings were and it was set to Auto , and Level 5? Set it to Level 2, and now I'm pushing more volts through the CPU and same 600Mhz OC, even after dropping it from 1.225, to 1.2. So just a slight drop. Temps up to 74 degree C with Prime 95.

Thinking LLC Level 2 would give more voltage stability, I tried 800Mhz OC at 1.35v again. Crashed immediately, just like before, so LLC didn't help in that situation.

This shit is fucking fun. Lol

Edit: FPS Results in Witcher 3, which is what I've been using to see results. At nearly Maxed graphics, and hairworks off, I went from 70-80 FPS, to 110-120 FPS. Dropped the slider down a few, and I can actually get 144+ FPS now. Dips to 133 sometimes, and then when standing still, goes back up to 150+.

With G-sync enabled, should I move the slider back up to the 120 FPS range, and let G-sync handle it? Or is it important to at least hit 144 FPS, and then if it drops, that's when G-sync handles things?

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Yea, I'll stick with 3.6 , and keep those lower temps. I'm on air, so going higher under load isn't really that great for me anyway. I don't mind the lower temps. Getting an extra 600mhz out of it is nice.

I'm now trying to OC my RAM, and that is a much more confusing process. My BIOS has pre-sets for all the RAM speeds, but it's a little unclear what I set voltages too.

typhoon burner: Thaiphoon Burner - Official Support Website
ryzen dram calculator:DRAM Calculator for Ryzen

i use my phone to snapshot the calculator results and then do the data entry in the bios.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Thought this was a pretty interesting read:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, SMT on vs SMT off, vs Intel 9900K
ARTICLE PROCESSORS
By community request, we present our findings on how the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X performs with SMT disabled. This approach has potential, especially for gaming, because it ensures more physical hardware units are available for each thread, and could also benefit the processor's power management.
Read Article

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Thought this was a pretty interesting read:

The 3600X exists in some sort of sweet spot.

Some other posts I've seen indicate that Ryzen 3000s are only as strong as their weakest core. So if the 3600X gets the benefit of a better bin, fewer cores where performance can lag, fewer cores where performance generates heat, and it doesn't have a weak CCX to juggle...

I wish the 3800X was included in those benchmarks. 3800X with SMT off and core affinity set might be the way to go.

Argarth

On the verandah
The 3600X exists in some sort of sweet spot.
I wish the 3800X was included in those benchmarks. 3800X with SMT off and core affinity set might be the way to go.

Yeah, the 3600 looks like amazing bang for the buck.

Found this video for a look at 3700X SMT off/on comparison. Not a huge test suite, but not much worth getting exited about regardless.
(Gamers Nexus basically called both the 3600X & 3800X a waste of money over the cheaper parts, for what it's worth.)

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The video with Steve from GN and Jay had the best summary.

If you want a cheap PC that does most things pretty well, buy a 3600.

If you want the best gaming machine, buy a 9700K.

If you want the best gaming machine for streaming on the same PC, buy a 3700K.

If you actually make money with your computer (time is money, friend) buy a 3900K or a 9900K depending on which apps you use.

Argarth

On the verandah
The video with Steve from GN and Jay had the best summary.

That was a good video, but you left out their final and most important criteria =p:

"If you were a Threadripper early adopter, then... Feels Bad Man!"

Fucker

Log Wizard
Did anyone manage to get a 3900x yet? I gave up waiting and went with a 3700x. It will still be a nice boost over my 2600.

Crone

Did anyone manage to get a 3900x yet? I gave up waiting and went with a 3700x. It will still be a nice boost over my 2600.
Why you need to upgrade already? 2600 no good? What you doing with your 2600?