Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
00AAB41D-CDB4-4527-A603-65C4AAE635B3.jpeg

This is the level 20XT next to the Azza Cube. I need to find some good 3 pin RGB extension cables to tidy up the inside. It comes pre-daisy chained but all those cords kinda annoys but if I can find one good extension cable to run through I can atleast hide them all.
3AE83362-70D2-4C45-991F-70F3E169AABF.jpeg

• 2Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
They are great, just make sure you double check the parts like not getting a weird power supply or something. Its all the same shit now. Just depends on how much you want to spend. 1700 can get you a pretty fucking top tier computer that will last a long ass time.
Fantastic. For like a couple hundred more bucks, build, warranties and shit etc.
I've been thinking about this lately, too. I'd like to get a new rig this Christmas.

I thought I'd budget $2k for it. Looked around on IBUYPOWER some, and it felt like if I wanted more than 16gb ram, an I9 of some flavor, 1TB SSD, etc, then I'd end up easily going over $2k and into $3k territory or more.

I'm at the point where I'm wondering if I'm looking for too much for a $2k budget, or if there really are significant savings assembling something yourself. I could spend more, but for some reason $2k has always been my limit.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been thinking about this lately, too. I'd like to get a new rig this Christmas.

I thought I'd budget $2k for it. Looked around on IBUYPOWER some, and it felt like if I wanted more than 16gb ram, an I9 of some flavor, 1TB SSD, etc, then I'd end up easily going over $2k and into $3k territory or more.

I'm at the point where I'm wondering if I'm looking for too much for a $2k budget, or if there really are significant savings assembling something yourself. I could spend more, but for some reason $2k has always been my limit.
I think you can save a shit ton, if you are patient for deals. Typically that's not how people do it, as they just buy everything at the same time, but depending on Black Friday deals, you could probably build a pretty awesome machine for much less.

For example, take the parts you would get on ibuypower, and plug them into pcpartpicker.com. Will take a minute, but you can easily see how it stacks up price wise.

• 2Like

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

Without a doubt wait a few weeks and see what the prices are after turkey day. Dont forget that youll most likely need a $400 monitor to go with the $500 gfx card. Really no sense to plop down nearly 2k and have some shitty old monitor.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

dude you actually live in a place that has a micro center

i even linked the specific overland park one for your lazy ass

• 1Worf

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
If you live near a Micro Center there is no world in which you should get a prebuilt PC online.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot

This. It's too simple to put your own together now. Literally the hardest part is the thermal paste. My last complete build about 4 years ago took me 2-3 hours to unbox everything, install it, and have windows 10 ready to go.

As it is, if you get a pre-built you'll likely have to open it up and re-seat everything anyway because the parts might have been shaken loose in shipping.

• 2Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This. It's too simple to put your own together now. Literally the hardest part is the thermal paste. My last complete build about 4 years ago took me 2-3 hours to unbox everything, install it, and have windows 10 ready to go.

As it is, if you get a pre-built you'll likely have to open it up and re-seat everything anyway because the parts might have been shaken loose in shipping.

ya that's the thing it's all plug and play and the mobo, chipset and psu gives you full instructions with pictures / diagrams on exactly where to set / plug everything. it honestly sucks if something doesn't work and you have to start troubleshooting (it should be mentioned trouble shooting is pretty easy nowadays) but I'd bet it's a higher chance of that happening shipping a full built rig.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Cable management is my bane - thats generally 80% of my time!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
modern computer cases and modern internal wires are so easy for cable management now. so much room behind the mb now and all the cables are thin or individually sleeved. Hell, i remember when we had to fold ide ribbon cables at a 90degree and route them on the side and around, that was some bullshit. (you had to do it, b/c it actually restricted airflow cuz the 40wires were like a air dam placed the wrong way)

i mean i recently did 2 head unit installs and speakers on my cars, yea, thats a night mare.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
dude you actually live in a place that has a micro center

i even linked the specific overland park one for your lazy ass
Yeah, I end up going in there at least a couple times a year, and most/all my current rig's upgrades have been from there.

There's also a game store in the same strip mall too that I occasionally go into (Tabletop) if I'm wanting to double down on the nerd-factor.

My current system is really just a hodge-podge of parts that I bought there to keep the thing running. The base computer is like 11 or 12 years old. Got a new mobo/processor from there after a lightning strike in like 2009/10 I think. I ran both 8800GTXs to death until they both died (stopped doing SLI and ran them solo, one after another). I don't remember what graphics card I got from there, but it was some sort of 1GB Nvidia deal (I think) that was on sale for being a return. Then I bought 24GB of ram on the cheap a year or two ago from there, was like $100 bucks. (went from 6GB 3x2 to 24GB 6x4). I'd really been putting that off for far too long.

I have a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 case, which weighs a fucking ton. But I lost the top/bottom screens so it gets a fuckton of dust in it. I threw some cheap replacement fans in it when the original ones all started dying (from the Microcenter clearance bin, LOL). I guess it's not a bad case, a lot of expansion space I never used. But if I get a new case it HAS to be lighter than that one.

It feels like you could make a go-kart out of that case

1574138285947.png

It's weird, though...I guess I never viewed Microcenter as price-competitive? They have my work email so I get an email from them every day or two.

Now that I think about it, I also bought a 27" from Microcenter after the last of my 2 monitors died (read online there's some capacitor issues but I never bothered to open them up. I should probably stop being a lazy fuck and try fixing them)

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Does anyone know what the standard cabling, pins/sockets and connectors tend to be?

I use some different Molex and Amphenol stuff at work (especially the Molex), and I can't imagine most computer cabling is significantly different?

I swear to God, if this send me down a custom-cabling rabbit hole, I'm gonna blame Lanx Lanx even if it isn't his fault

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone know what the standard cabling, pins/sockets and connectors tend to be?

I use some different Molex and Amphenol stuff at work (especially the Molex), and I can't imagine most computer cabling is significantly different?

I swear to God, if this send me down a custom-cabling rabbit hole, I'm gonna blame Lanx Lanx even if it isn't his fault

It's basically all standardized that this point. You have:
your ATX 20/24 pin connector
a 4 or 8 pin EPS 12V connector
SATA connectors
6 or 8-pin PCIe connectors
and yes, Molex connectors (although not many things use Molex anymore)

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

like old ide molex?
220px-Molex_female_connector.jpg

drives will just be sata and satapower

where you'll still see molex is in the mb and the standard 20+4
main20plus4index.jpg

and modern cpus (intel/amd) will use 8pin now
atx1.jpg

some boards might also have another 4pin, but thats for like super OC (not needed to boot)

and then the vid cards would have either 6pin/8pin or both molex

• 1Like