Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
no you cannot, shitrig 5000 has a ide cd drive most likely

oh it's def IDE

The EQ emu guys would be very glad to have a copy of your old EQ install if you're feeling generous

Once I get this new rig built, I'll try to twist some arms in here to see if I can add the HDDs to my current comp and see if anything is salvageable. If drives aren't borked and data is there, I'd be more than happy. But my hopes aren't super high.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Once I get this new rig built, I'll try to twist some arms in here to see if I can add the HDDs to my current comp and see if anything is salvageable. If drives aren't borked and data is there, I'd be more than happy. But my hopes aren't super high.
just get a SATA/IDE Adapter Cable, FIDECO USB 3.0 to SATA III Hard Drvie Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5"/3.5" IDE and SATA III HDD SSD, 5.25-Inch DVD-ROM/CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD-RW/DVD+RW (Cable PL03)

usb3 btw, is the newest usb, shitputer probably doesn't even have usb1.1

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Pardon the ignorance, but how do these cheap Windows 10 keys from eBay work? Don't you still need something physical to boot from initially?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Pardon the ignorance, but how do these cheap Windows 10 keys from eBay work? Don't you still need something physical to boot from initially?

Anyone can download the install files from MS and just copy it to a flash drive. You just enter the key during the process or at some point after

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
OK gentlemen, I need some help here. The partpicker build for the Ryzen 3 I was going for had this motherboard as the selection. My problem is that it needs a BIOS update to be able to run the Ryzen 3 and that means I would need a Ryzen 2 or 1 chip to install first and since I don't have one handy it is not going to work. Can anyone suggest a comparable motherboard that is Ryzen 3 compatible? I found this one but it is twice the price.... is it much better than the one above? This is honestly me penny pinching since the difference between 59 and 109 is not a ton, I just want to know that it is a good option.

Edit: This is so fucking weird. The Gigabyte CPU Support list says that the Ryzen 5 3600 is supported but all of the most recent comments on Newegg say it is shipping with old firmware and would not function with the 3xxx processors.

Last edited:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I bought one on a goof because my Win 7 SSD crashed and I decided it was worth $5 to not leave the house and see if it worked. 1 year later and I have had exactly 0 issues; so much so that I actually bought the $7 MS Office Pro Plus key a month after with no pain. Even if they both crapped out tomorrow and I had to pay another $12 bucks it is still worth it.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
OK gentlemen, I need some help here. The partpicker build for the Ryzen 3 I was going for had this motherboard as the selection. My problem is that it needs a BIOS update to be able to run the Ryzen 3 and that means I would need a Ryzen 2 or 1 chip to install first and since I don't have one handy it is not going to work. Can anyone suggest a comparable motherboard that is Ryzen 3 compatible? I found this one but it is twice the price.... is it much better than the one above? This is honestly me penny pinching since the difference between 59 and 109 is not a ton, I just want to know that it is a good option.

Edit: This is so fucking weird. The Gigabyte CPU Support list says that the Ryzen 5 3600 is supported but all of the most recent comments on Newegg say it is shipping with old firmware and would not function with the 3xxx processors.

Will the Ryzen 3 be an APU? If so, it might be worth the trouble to go with an x570 mobo because you won't encounter as much PCIe/NVME bottlenecking that APUs cause on the earlier boards. It becomes problematic, for example, if you eventually get a GPU and need to run a PCIe wifi card and want to have 2 NVMEs--the GPU and second NVME will have crippled xfer rates.

I briefly had that Phantom Gaming 4. It will not handle RAM clocked higher than 3466. It also does not have onboard wifi, if that matters. $199 gets you an x570 Asus TUF with wifi.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Did ms make it so one can install from a thumb drive / shell, downloading the image as you go in the install process? Like a bootloader installer I mean. I ordered a new SSD for my lappy, just gonna switch to the new drives, don't have or want to make install medias if possible.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I'm going to look stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Explain to me how this NVME and SSD drive work?

I want to do a clean install of windows but don't two separate drives in Windows, like I would expect. Anyone know of an easy to follow vid explaining this? Or anyone give the dummy version explanation?

IMG_20191202_125212.jpg

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I'm going to look stupid, but I'm going to ask anyway.

Explain to me how this NVME and SSD drive work?

I want to do a clean install of windows but don't two separate drives in Windows, like I would expect. Anyone know of an easy to follow vid explaining this? Or anyone give the dummy version explanation?

View attachment 235745
I think that one, optane, acts like a sort of buffer for the main drive, making it faster. It's an obsolete way of enhancing iirc, like if you had a spinner as main. Nvme main drives, bigger ones, are affordable now. Should be something to enable/disable in bios.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Ok...so I need to actually snag an NVME drive...

To have a nice consistent storage experience, yes. A 2.5” SSD would be fine as well if you wanted to save some money. Most of the newer drives have a decent high speed SLC nand cache layer that functions better than the Optane software.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger

Check your box and manual. If it says REV 1.0 anywhere in there, you are good to go. From what I can see, the regular B450M DS3H only supports up to 2nd gen Ryzen, but the B450M DS3H (rev. 1.0) supports 3rd gen. In fact, the website specifically says the revision 1.0 board supports third gen. So basically it is luck of the draw, if they sent you old stock then you may be screwed. If they sent you new stock then you are fine.

Just look at the website, it makes sure to say rev. 1.0 all over it. Even in the link.

• 1Like

Argarth

On the verandah
Check your box and manual. If it says REV 1.0 anywhere in there, you are good to go. From what I can see, the regular B450M DS3H only supports up to 2nd gen Ryzen, but the B450M DS3H (rev. 1.0) supports 3rd gen. In fact, the website specifically says the revision 1.0 board supports third gen. So basically it is luck of the draw, if they sent you old stock then you may be screwed. If they sent you new stock then you are fine.

Just look at the website, it makes sure to say rev. 1.0 all over it. Even in the link.

I used that MOBO in my daughter's latest build. Good value for money, but a couple of things to be aware of since it's MIcro ATX form factor.

If you ever decide to fit both a discrete GFX Card and a PCIe Wi-Fi card for example, it will be a very tight fit depending on how tall your GFX card is.

The mobo only has 2 fan headers. One will be used by the CPU cooler fan/profile. Buy some Fan header adapter cable(s) so you're able to run all case fans off the remaining header.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
All parts have been ordered with about half delivered so far. Stoked! Haven't had a fresh build in a very long time.

• 7Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users