Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I give exactly zero shits about any of that. And besides, Amazon packers don't give a single damn about cost savings. I've gotten small boxes packed in giant boxes and filled with air wrap more times than I can count.
So was your M.2 drive damaged?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Can anyone recommend an awesome looking PC case? I'm thinking about reusing my Carbide A540 if not. Doing an AMD 3600X build.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Most cases end up looking similar. My big thing is take the time to make it look clean. Like this is my computer with a $60 Corsair 275R.
IMG_20191220_191624.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Is it less noisy with watercooling? I get the aesthetics, but for me tower is under the desk. What's the practical win of it? I have a Silverstone FT02, whisper quiet in windows, barely audible in most games - old i5 6600, 1070 gtx.
Looked into one of the simple closed water cooling sets, Corsair H80i but I've read it's more noisy than the noctua i got on the cpu already. Silverstone FT02 has 3 140mm intake at buttom which I think can also mount a radiater, and 1x 120mm top, vertical mounted components for a fairly nice airflow.

Is my case too old to play around with / no real gain or ?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is it less noisy with watercooling? I get the aesthetics, but for me tower is under the desk. What's the practical win of it? I have a Silverstone FT02, whisper quiet in windows, barely audible in most games - old i5 6600, 1070 gtx.
Looked into one of the simple closed water cooling sets, Corsair H80i but I've read it's more noisy than the noctua i got on the cpu already. Silverstone FT02 has 3 140mm intake at buttom which I think can also mount a radiater, and 1x 120mm top, vertical mounted components for a fairly nice airflow.

My original Corsair H100 (?) from like 5 years ago had an issue with the pump being very loud. It was resolved about 6 months later with a firmware upgrade and it was silent afterwards. New build I used the Noctua and don’t find it overly aggressive at all. PC is still pretty silent with it and 3 Noctua case fans.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

Having owned that case, don't water cool in it

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Got my computer running. Some things were simple, others not so much.

My old computer (in a Cosmos 1000 case) is SO MUCH LOUDER than the new one that I'm sitting here wondering if it's even on. And that Cosmos case comes with noise-reduction foam in the side panels. It might be that the new comp has PWM fans, I dunno.

I forgot about all of the 'teething' issues, like remembering to turn auto-sleep off. Set the new computer up for a big download last night, got up this morning, and was like "WTF??" when I see that it had stopped when it slept. I wanted to get up, make some coffee and pewpew first thing Christmas morning, but oh well. I GUESS I"LL CLEAN THE KITCHEN AND ARGUE ON THE INTERNETS INSTEAD

One weird thing is that the mobo has wifi on it...but it runs slow as shit. Tried drivers a few times, troubleshooting...and it keeps looking like it has poor signal. Popped a USB wifi adapter in, and the speed is noticeably better. The board wifi seems to see OTHER networks better than my own. It won't matter, eventually, as I plan on connecting the new comp directly and not using wifi, but the new desk wont get delivered for another 7-10 days, so I've got it set up somewhere else right now.

I went to Microcenter yesterday for a DVD drive and another keyboard. I had an old keyboard I thought I had an adapter for, but it was the wrong adapter. The drive...I'd forgotten about driver CDs, so...fuck it. Bought one for $15

I completely panicked when installing the CPU. A fuckton of grinding/crunching noises when closing the latch. I don't remember my last comp's CPU sounding like that. Googled it and that's normal, I guess? Seems to work fine.

Clearance between MOBO/GPU/Noctua seemed to be SUPER tight. I wasn't even sure the GPU would plug in all the way, at first. And then the headers seem to be way different. I thought I'd have to ghetto a tool to reach underneath to pull the latch back 'up' to lock the card in place, but after taking it back out a couple of times and looking at it, I got to thinking that it isn't designed to latch back "up". Even if it did, it looks like the GPU is very nearly resting ON that latch...I'm not sure I could pull it back up, anyways. There's no clearance. And the GPU slotted in SO EASILY that I got paranoid. I don't remember it being that easy.

I probably should have mounted the Noctua and Proc on the board first, then mounted the board in the case. Which I didn't do. The brackets were a PITA with the board already mounted. My RAM is low profile, but I still had to 'raise' one of the cooler fans upwards a noticeable amount to get the fan on.

Speaking of the Noctua...I hadn't thought about colors/appearance before, but the stock cream/brown colors are noticeably different than everything else, which turned out to be mostly black. I'm honestly trying to decide if I care enough to get all-black replacement fans, and maybe moving those 2 brown fans somewhere else in the case where they're hidden.

The giant LED letters on the 2080 is a lot brighter than I thought it would be. Googling around, it looks like I can download EVGA Precision X1...I'm guessing that's mainly intended for O/Cing...to turn the LEDs off, or dim them.

• 1Like

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Noctua has black colour options these days
Yeah, but I didn't think I was even going to notice. Now that it's built...I kind of do. I'm just not sure if it's worth $25 a fan, x2ea.

Looking at some reviews on Amazon, it seems like the frame is a bit bigger than other fans that size, and the description of the spacing seems odd.

When the desk gets here, I might open the case back up, take a fan off the cooler, and see if they would fit under the top air intake.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yeah, but I didn't think I was even going to notice. Now that it's built...I kind of do. I'm just not sure if it's worth $25 a fan, x2ea.

Looking at some reviews on Amazon, it seems like the frame is a bit bigger than other fans that size, and the description of the spacing seems odd.

When the desk gets here, I might open the case back up, take a fan off the cooler, and see if they would fit under the top air intake.

Return the one you got and go for a black option? Won't be an issue if you got it from Amazon

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I'll have to install more games later this week to see how things pan out.

I'm in MWO because I need to grind the Christmas events. It was weird being capped to 60FPS if I had vsync on. With vsync off, on the worst map that used to give me 15-20 FPS at time, it looks like I can do 90-120fps. But I'm not sure if I could visibly notice the difference.

The SSD just seems fantastic.

Fucker

Log Wizard

My old computer (in a Cosmos 1000 case) is SO MUCH LOUDER than the new one that I'm sitting here wondering if it's even on. And that Cosmos case comes with noise-reduction foam in the side panels. It might be that the new comp has PWM fans, I dunno.

I forgot about all of the 'teething' issues, like remembering to turn auto-sleep off. Set the new computer up for a big download last night, got up this morning, and was like "WTF??" when I see that it had stopped when it slept. I wanted to get up, make some coffee and pewpew first thing Christmas morning, but oh well. I GUESS I"LL CLEAN THE KITCHEN AND ARGUE ON THE INTERNETS INSTEAD

One weird thing is that the mobo has wifi on it...but it runs slow as shit. Tried drivers a few times, troubleshooting...and it keeps looking like it has poor signal. Popped a USB wifi adapter in, and the speed is noticeably better. The board wifi seems to see OTHER networks better than my own. It won't matter, eventually, as I plan on connecting the new comp directly and not using wifi, but the new desk wont get delivered for another 7-10 days, so I've got it set up somewhere else right now.

I went to Microcenter yesterday for a DVD drive and another keyboard. I had an old keyboard I thought I had an adapter for, but it was the wrong adapter. The drive...I'd forgotten about driver CDs, so...fuck it. Bought one for $15

I completely panicked when installing the CPU. A fuckton of grinding/crunching noises when closing the latch. I don't remember my last comp's CPU sounding like that. Googled it and that's normal, I guess? Seems to work fine.

Clearance between MOBO/GPU/Noctua seemed to be SUPER tight. I wasn't even sure the GPU would plug in all the way, at first. And then the headers seem to be way different. I thought I'd have to ghetto a tool to reach underneath to pull the latch back 'up' to lock the card in place, but after taking it back out a couple of times and looking at it, I got to thinking that it isn't designed to latch back "up". Even if it did, it looks like the GPU is very nearly resting ON that latch...I'm not sure I could pull it back up, anyways. There's no clearance. And the GPU slotted in SO EASILY that I got paranoid. I don't remember it being that easy.

I probably should have mounted the Noctua and Proc on the board first, then mounted the board in the case. Which I didn't do. The brackets were a PITA with the board already mounted. My RAM is low profile, but I still had to 'raise' one of the cooler fans upwards a noticeable amount to get the fan on.

Speaking of the Noctua...I hadn't thought about colors/appearance before, but the stock cream/brown colors are noticeably different than everything else, which turned out to be mostly black. I'm honestly trying to decide if I care enough to get all-black replacement fans, and maybe moving those 2 brown fans somewhere else in the case where they're hidden.

The giant LED letters on the 2080 is a lot brighter than I thought it would be. Googling around, it looks like I can download EVGA Precision X1...I'm guessing that's mainly intended for O/Cing...to turn the LEDs off, or dim them.

Intel has some fucky mounting systems...always have. They lock the CPU under the frame because of all the boards they ruined in the P4 days. It was impossible to remove the HS without pulling the CPU out with it.

The best way to mount giant coolers is last. Trying to put in a board with one attached can lead to tears.

You can change the fan speed curves in the BIOS if you want it even quieter.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I mounted the Be Quiet cooler on my CPU first, then put it into the case. If it's securely mounted you can pick the whole damn board up by the cooler itself.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>

Did the motherboard come with a WiFi antenna?

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Upgrade complete! Pentium 4 2.2 -> Pentium 4 3.2.

You can't buy power like this, folks.

• 1Like