Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Superman just built a ryzen PC

Intel is dead
That was forever ago...

So I built my PC at the end of last year, but I'm thinking I want to upgrade to a newer power supply (as current is 8 years old). Any recommendations? I'm also looking to redo the cabling and fans as I think one of the cables is too close to a fan and I can hear it. No risk of severing it, but it's... annoying.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That was forever ago...

So I built my PC at the end of last year, but I'm thinking I want to upgrade to a newer power supply (as current is 8 years old). Any recommendations? I'm also looking to redo the cabling and fans as I think one of the cables is too close to a fan and I can hear it. No risk of severing it, but it's... annoying.

I've been on the Seasonic train the last few years. They're the manufacturer for many other brands but they also sell under their own brand name. The Focus series is fully modular, I used the 650W version in my last build and its a very nice piece of kit. Nice long cables etc.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider

If you aren't having problems there's no reason to, esp with power supplies commonly selling for 2x their normal price right now. Use a can of compressed air to dust it out instead. If you upgrade to a beefy gpu that's a good time to get a new psu.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
That was forever ago...

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
If you aren't having problems there's no reason to, esp with power supplies commonly selling for 2x their normal price right now. Use a can of compressed air to dust it out instead. If you upgrade to a beefy gpu that's a good time to get a new psu.
yeah I used a 10yo 1000w Gold when I rebuilt and moved to a new GFX, so this is a hold over from a previous (and even before that) build
I figure I'm going to be recabling because of the fan/cable rubbing sounds

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
yeah I used a 10yo 1000w Gold when I rebuilt and moved to a new GFX, so this is a hold over from a previous (and even before that) build

Shouldn't some zip ties solve it?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Depending on your set up you would do good with a Fractal Ion as they are plat, also more or less any Seasonic is going to be an A tier list PSU. Prices on some PSUs are finally dropping down to acceptable ranges. In the end much like anything else, it depends on how much you want to spend or if money is even a factor at all.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This actually looks really sweet, i almost considered buying the case to go with this

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This actually looks really sweet, i almost considered buying the case to go with this

I have that sitting on my desk, I just haven't taken the time to put it in yet

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
It looks dam nice, the dam distro plate cost more than the case but im not sure i want to go with that or this.

1595651951738.png

Like i thought, someone would love the RGB and got 4k for my Azza Cube set up. Now i can completely use it all on GPUs this fall!

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
That's the one thing about unique cases, you are pretty likely to get damn good resale out of it. I still can't get behind that case though. I can't remember the name of the case and I'm too tired to go googling, but if I wanted something like that I'd just get that giant one that is basically windows on 3 sides and totally designed for PC's you'd bring to trade shows and stuff

Edit: I lied, I looked. I think it was this one Level 20 HT

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Nah, I'm pretty sure it was the Level 20 HT. I'm not much for open air cases. The Level 20 is a pretty damn sweet case imo

Fucker

Log Wizard
Eh, Intel still beats AMD in gaming benchmarks, and still controls most of the market share. I don't think they should be letting off the gas.

They have massive leadership and management issues that aren't being addressed. They lost a lot of engineering talent that hasn't been replaced. They have no new products on the horizon, no new architecture. They can only wick up 14nm for so long. 10nm has been abandoned aside from being half a decade late. 7nm is late, and we are familiar with Intel and their missed roadmaps. I'd be surprised if they had anything to show on that node in 2024. Meanwhile, TSMC is going to start serial production of 5nm this year. (Intel 10nm = TSMC 7nm, Intel 7nm = TSMC 5nm). At this point, Intel's foundry operation is 4 years behind TSMC and getting worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if Intel scaled back their foundry operations and start having TSMC do their high margin parts.

Intel does have a lot of money and market share, but fortunes can change.

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
My fingers are rerally itching to buy a new GPU and I hope theres a date soon for the new stuff thats coming.

Seeing as I use a mATX case I took some measurements and 280mm is the longest card I can use with the AIO mounted in the front. If I mount the AIO on the top of the case I get 310mm clearance for a new GPU.

Are there any negatives with buying the shorter cards with 2 fans instead of 3? I'm guessing OC'ing them are not as easy with one less fan but I don't see me doing that anyway. Anything else that makes shorter cards worse then the long bois?

Will be interesting to see what model you get for 600-700 bucks, I think that will be my budget for the new purchase.