Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
thermo grizzly kryonaut is clumpy molasses

the applicator is worthless
griz0007.jpg

of course i use the applicator first, as per instructions, it's a mess

then i put it on another cpu, where i'm sure the thermal paste is dried up, and use my preferred method of 20years, a credit card, works amazing.

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
thermo grizzly kryonaut is clumpy molasses

the applicator is worthless
griz0007.jpg

of course i use the applicator first, as per instructions, it's a mess

then i put it on another cpu, where i'm sure the thermal paste is dried up, and use my preferred method of 20years, a credit card, works amazing.
I smeared it out also but has anyone tried just using the pea size in the middle with this paste? I mean it works for all other brands, not sure why they recommend the spreading it out, is it a bit thicker?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Have 3 there all the time, boot nvme m.2 and 2 spinners for my mass storage. Not enough for a NAS. Another I connect from time to time to image to have one I can change out on a piece of equipment in a hurry.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Did we not have posts less than a month ago about waiting for SATA SSDs to get heavily discounted? Pretty sure that was when we mocked QVO (again) and that feels recent.

If they did a 860 EVO 1TB for $75 sale we'd laugh at people with only 2 SATA connections.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Who needs more than like 2 SATA ports?
2 NVME. Platter drive. Blu ray burner. Sata SSD. 2 hot swap bays for tossing data on whatever I slide in. My backup box has a million platter drives because no such thing as having too many copies of data.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
2 NVME. Platter drive. Blu ray burner. Sata SSD. 2 hot swap bays for tossing data on whatever I slide in. My backup box has a million platter drives because no such thing as having too many copies of data.

Man i havent had a disk/cd type drive in years. Fuck i dont think the last few cases i purchased even accommodated a dvd/cd drive.

Borzak

Man i havent had a disk/cd type drive in years. Fuck i dont think the last few cases i purchased even accommodated a dvd/cd drive.
The cooler master nr600 I bought has an option for one to work with an optical drive. Kind of surprised me as well.

Fucker

Log Wizard
OS SSD started shitting its bits all over the place. :(
Ordered a new one. Came in a day early. :)
It's not an upgrade. :(
The warranty replacement will go in my laptop. :)
SSD was under the gpu. :(
Air cleaner that I keep next to the desk and under the PC has kept the PC nearly dust free. :)

Weird failure. Writes were fine; reads were in the toilet. 40 MB/s at times. :eek:

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
1603126549911.png

As a follow up the RTX 30x0 thread, any red flags here on this offer? I don't want to get too involved (more than enough people pointed out you shouldn't build PCs for other people and I'm aware of that) so she's getting it BTO from a local small business.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
View attachment 311087

As a follow up the RTX 30x0 thread, any red flags here on this offer? I don't want to get too involved (more than enough people pointed out you shouldn't build PCs for other people and I'm aware of that) so she's getting it BTO from a local small business.
You can get a windows key a lot cheaper on reddit. Doubt it's worth the effort though since it's not your money.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
View attachment 311087

Agree on the windows 10 price - the 3600XT id look at benchmarks first to see if its worth even getting it over the 3600

You be the judge

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
3600X/XT were a choice when the 3600 wasn't available msrp (most of the time...) Now, unless maybe if it's on sale+you using the not as bad stock cooler. At 250 you may aswell get a 10600K now or soon a 5600X for $ 300.

Quineloe Quineloe memory needs a custom tune (maybe that's what you intended) for 1:1 IF frequency; PSU might not be good enough for RTX 3000 series if you wanted to graduate much past 1080p/60hz. Can just use Win10 unregistered and Ebay a key later. Weird case choice but that probably doesn't matter.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's no later option, we're talking about a dead computer that needs replacing now. That's why we're going with a low budget card as well.

Borzak

When I bought my 3600 one day the 3600X was the same price. The next day the X went up and then back down to exact price and then back up. No idea how often that happens. Through Amazon.