Desktop Computers

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I need to figure out what to do with my monitor setup so throw out suggestions.

Have a triple monitor arm so would like to continue to utilize it, but it wasn't super expensive so could adjust. Also feels like it becomes restrictive due to the max size of each monitor. Can't find the exact model on Amazon anymore but it is one of the horizontal stands with the side arms, not the kind that articulate all around.

Middle monitor is an ASUS ROG PG279Q; 27" 1440p 144 Hz G-Sync
Right is an old ASUS VH242H that is barely hanging on
Left is an even older version of the 24" that died already

So now I've got an expensive 27" G-sync middle monitor and a functional but ugly right screen and a dead left. No idea how to reconfigure this. The ROG is too expensive for me to just toss out and it looks great. 1440p @ 120/144 is just fine for all I care with my 980TI and games that I play. Sometime next year I could try to grab a new graphics card, maybe when Feb bonuses roll out.

Right now I just want two functional side monitors so that I can have a browser open on one and Netflix/Hulu/Prime or Work desktop on other, with middle being reserved for gaming. So do I get two cheap 27" side monitors to at least make it look even? Or do I get something larger for the center and move the ROG to a single side and only run 2? Replace the arm?

No idea but it is annoying having this dead piece of shit on the left. So I either replace it and the right for matching or trash the three-monitor setup and start over!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Kind of similar situation. My middle monitor is really nice but my side monitor is a piece of shit that looks ugly. My matching Dell work monitors look really nice though, I think if I ever get to order some new ones for work I might just use those as my side ones.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Kind of similar situation. My middle monitor is really nice but my side monitor is a piece of shit that looks ugly. My matching Dell work monitors look really nice though, I think if I ever get to order some new ones for work I might just use those as my side ones.

yeah I filtered Newegg by 27" / 1440p / 120 Hz and the options are terrible. I suppose 120+ isn't that important because the differing refresh rates locking the main was fixed in the last windows update?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
yeah I filtered Newegg by 27" / 1440p / 120 Hz and the options are terrible. I suppose 120+ isn't that important because the differing refresh rates locking the main was fixed in the last windows update?
Yeah that was fixed, although I found cases where the issue is still present

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I need to figure out what to do with my monitor setup so throw out suggestions.

Have a triple monitor arm so would like to continue to utilize it, but it wasn't super expensive so could adjust. Also feels like it becomes restrictive due to the max size of each monitor. Can't find the exact model on Amazon anymore but it is one of the horizontal stands with the side arms, not the kind that articulate all around.

Middle monitor is an ASUS ROG PG279Q; 27" 1440p 144 Hz G-Sync
Right is an old ASUS VH242H that is barely hanging on
Left is an even older version of the 24" that died already

So now I've got an expensive 27" G-sync middle monitor and a functional but ugly right screen and a dead left. No idea how to reconfigure this. The ROG is too expensive for me to just toss out and it looks great. 1440p @ 120/144 is just fine for all I care with my 980TI and games that I play. Sometime next year I could try to grab a new graphics card, maybe when Feb bonuses roll out.

Right now I just want two functional side monitors so that I can have a browser open on one and Netflix/Hulu/Prime or Work desktop on other, with middle being reserved for gaming. So do I get two cheap 27" side monitors to at least make it look even? Or do I get something larger for the center and move the ROG to a single side and only run 2? Replace the arm?

No idea but it is annoying having this dead piece of shit on the left. So I either replace it and the right for matching or trash the three-monitor setup and start over!

Get a UW as primary and put the 27 on the side - If youre using it for work then yeah 3 monitors is fine, but for gaming i personally like having 1 larger/wide monitor and 1 other on the side.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ive had all 3 - PG35VQ, X35, 38GN, 27GL950, in the end the difference between them all outside of the hz difference is so negligible that youre just paying for the name.
All of those have too many pixels!

The difference between my 27GL83A and my S2716DG in terms of g-sync performance at 1440p is very noticeable.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and bought independent mounting arms so that the 3-monitor stand isn't holding me back from whichever direction I wanted. Amazon had them on Lightning Sale for $20 a piece.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Went ahead and bought independent mounting arms so that the 3-monitor stand isn't holding me back from whichever direction I wanted. Amazon had them on Lightning Sale for $20 a piece.
Which ones? I bought cheap arms too and they kinda suck.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Which ones? I bought cheap arms too and they kinda suck.

These, assuming Amazon links work. Hopefully they don't suck but it was $20 a piece so oh well.

What was the suck part? Just holding the weight of the monitor or actual articulation?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
These, assuming Amazon links work. Hopefully they don't suck but it was $20 a piece so oh well.

What was the suck part? Just holding the weight of the monitor or actual articulation?

Yeah those are the same shitty ones I got with slightly different branding.

They're fine if you don't want to move them often and you don't care about the limited range of motion. They suck if you're trying to use them to convert your desk from sitting to standing on a regular basis.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Sigh - just missing the god dam distro-plate, that aside any word on when the Ryzen 5000 will be up for preorder?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah those are the same shitty ones I got with slightly different branding.

They're fine if you don't want to move them often and you don't care about the limited range of motion. They suck if you're trying to use them to convert your desk from sitting to standing on a regular basis.
i stand by my north bayou recommendations

Mist Mist , i used one to mount a beauty mirror to it for my wife
9112aa84f94a7cb2ae5f313f4bbf7a9c.png

i had my monitors mounted in a L, 1 on top and one on the side, gave up the one on the side cuz of covid. (my wifes team had to hastly setup remote and the requisition forms for extra monitors was a mess, i had 2 monitors in storage but more and more ppl kept asking, heh)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Did some Electronics Recycling yesterday b/c they're only open Thursdays and the 1st Saturday of every month.

Had 3-4 old monitors to toss out that no longer worked, including some Hanns G one that was an early overlocker and first introduction to 120 Hz. Think I got it off that one trade website for like $800.

Pulled out some old graphics cards as well from PCs being tossed. Pretty sure there are others laying around in old mobo boxes in a closet or two.

GraphicsCards.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If any youtube tech guy is to be believed, I think you're supposed to have a shelf on your wall with all those GPU's displayed. Because that's what cool guys do

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Get a UW as primary and put the 27 on the side - If youre using it for work then yeah 3 monitors is fine, but for gaming i personally like having 1 larger/wide monitor and 1 other on the side.
This is what I would do since I just got an ultra wide but my Acer 27" isn't Vesa compatible and doesn't spin to vertical. FML.