Desktop Computers

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I always keep my NZXT stuff on silent and it ramps up accordingly. I'd assume the corsair stuff should do the same.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Only those fans connected to the MB directly. Since I have the fans for the radiator connected to the Corsair command deck in the PC, the iCue software controls those fans. There is really only 3 usable profiles...

Balanced is loud. Extreme is not useable. So I have it on quiet. But these seem like some low fan speeds.

View attachment 375565
Get something to test your cpu, like Cinebench R23, try each of the settings out. Let it run for at least 10 minutes to heatsoak your cooler.

The other thing is if you can get the fans to reference of that water temp you’ll have way less ramping up and down than if you have them reference off of the cpu temp directly. The water temperature is far more stable and reflects actual head load versus a spot die temp when a core wakes up, loads some process, spikes to 70, then idles again without actually generating heat your cooler could ever respond to.

For example, my custom loop has the water around 7c higher than ambient temps while sitting at the desktop. Full load has the water temp going up only about 10c over that (cpu+gpu, so your aio might be less). You’ll learn pretty quickly what it’s min and max are if you pay attention to it for a couple of days, especially if you have controlled room temp (I don’t, so my computer is running in 95f ambient during the summer).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Finally got iCue to monitor the proc temp. Silent is fine. About 72C.

Swapped my mem to 4 8gig sticks. Added 3 more fans. Swapped a black fan out for a matching white.

I think I did a good job.

hhhhhhhhhh.jpg

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah PSUs and DRAM are way down. Platinum and Titanium rated PSUs are still up because people use them for mining efficiency, but nowhere near as high as they were a year ago.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Going to show my ignorance here. I have never OC'ed anything. Ran the User Benchmark and it tells me I need to OC my RX 6800. Following their guide is this safe? Or is there a a better way? Guide is below.

1634682300079.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Going to show my ignorance here. I have never OC'ed anything. Ran the User Benchmark and it tells me I need to OC my RX 6800. Following their guide is this safe? Or is there a a better way? Guide is below.

View attachment 377983

Userbenchmark is a clickbait site that abuses SEO to show up in Google searches, not a real benchmark or a source of any technical information.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is there a legit outfit selling any 6800xt these days? There was one result on Google for $729 but that seems sketchy. I may impulse buy a new card. The low stock has certainly hurt (helped) my impulse purchases.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

View attachment 377983

download msi afterburner

doesn't matter if you don't have msi card

msi afterburner also includes msi kombuster, which will stress test your card (less shit to download and confuse yourself)

just have fun with the sliders and push your card, it's impossible to brick your video with the thermal protections in place these days (only if you did something physically really bad like didn't use thermal paste, or left the sticker on there... etc)

um, i'll try to find a more easy to follow guide later, but msi afterburner is all you need, don't download other programs cuz you'll confuse yourself if you're in virgin territory

*edit
eh msi has their own guide

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Picked up a 5900x yesterday but may completely swap over to intel next month depending on their announcements next week. It really all depends on how long until their ddr5 variants of the 690 boards are available. Granted a 5900x and the ek x570s board are about 1100 but selling my 5950x and meg ace yields slightly lower so the trade off is rather inconsequential, their is also the chiplet refresh of the 5900x that will be out in jan or feb that may be worth waiting for - for its 10-15% gains.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have been recruited to help a friend build a new system around $1000. It's been a few years since I have done this.

I found this list on pcpartpicker, but an i3 sounds underpowered?

This will be used for 1920x1080 gaming, but obviously not looking for super high graphics settings. He mostly plays EQ and MTG:Arena.

Would anyone be kind enough to list me some component ideas?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have been recruited to help a friend build a new system around $1000. It's been a few years since I have done this.

I found this list on pcpartpicker, but an i3 sounds underpowered?

This will be used for 1920x1080 gaming, but obviously not looking for super high graphics settings. He mostly plays EQ and MTG:Arena.

Would anyone be kind enough to list me some component ideas?
don't bother

just tell him to buy a premade something like this
72d5649976b3400ba1ad66e6481feef3.png

if it's too expensive, buy a xbox xs then

youre not gonna be able to build a pc w/o sourcing the video card, and unless he moonlights as a robot, he's not gonna get anything

there are other deals for 100 or 150 less, but you have to look for them

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Picked up a 5900x yesterday but may completely swap over to intel next month depending on their announcements next week. It really all depends on how long until their ddr5 variants of the 690 boards are available. Granted a 5900x and the ek x570s board are about 1100 but selling my 5950x and meg ace yields slightly lower so the trade off is rather inconsequential, their is also the chiplet refresh of the 5900x that will be out in jan or feb that may be worth waiting for - for its 10-15% gains.
Hopefully AMD changes their chipset driver software on top of it. Holy fuck is it a piece of dogshit.