Desktop Computers

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Never mind pulled the trigger on something. - no longer want to think about it haha

Last edited:

Jovec

?
Any input on this prebuilt? Better options around that price range? If not may pull the trigger later today, thanks!

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/skytech-gaming-shiva-gaming-desktop-intel-core-i7-11700f-geforce-rtx-3060-12g-1tb-ssd-16gb-memory-240mm-aio-white/6465245.p?skuId=646524

And leaning toward the monitor linked below as well,

Not too bad for a prebuilt IMHO. Uses off-the-shelf parts instead of custom/proprietary parts like a Dell or HP, etc.

RAM: Does not say if 1 or 2 sticks, but you want 2 sticks for dual channel performance. Pics show two sticks.
Drive: Claims SSD in specs but you want NVMe for a modern build. I do not see a Sata cable in the pics though, so maybe it is a NVMe drive
PSU: No specs given
CPU: F Sku which means no IGP - might matter if you wanted to pull the 3060 out and just use the rest for something else.
Case: Looks air-flow limited, appears to be an In-Win 101. Add 1-2 bottom fans as intake.

I specced out a basic Intel system that should be better in every way except for heavy MT loads (due to 6c/12t 12400 vs 8c/16t 11700F). Came out to $1,120 with no GPU, but also includes $320 combined for a good 280/360AIO, good airflow case, and Windows 10. You can shave any/all of those down. Alder Lake mobo selection was...limited... but it's still a Z690 in case you ever want a K SKU for overclocking. I understand one cannot easily just buy a 3060 at MSRP, but you could play the Newegg Shuffle for a while and use the 12400 IGP or your old card. Or you can buy an AMD 6600 or 6600xt from about $450 - $630. The 3060 will be between the 6600 and 6600xt for FPS but will have DLSS, bettter RTX cores, and some other improved features.

With a 6600xt this would be +$250 over that prebuilt, but each component is definitely better than what the prebuilt gets you.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.96 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 72.8 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z690-P WIFI D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL14 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 215 ATX Mid Tower Case ($98.60 @ Newegg Sellers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1118.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-02-09 12:43 EST-0500

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Glad I thought to check if my Noctua U9b SE worked with the new motherboard. It was purchased too early to be shipped with mounting hardware for the slot but they offered a free kit which is pretty cool customer service. Went ahead and paid them $8 on Amazon to have it here with the 12700k and motherboard. Also picked up a 1TB 980 Pro and will reuse my slow ass old DDR4. Was looking at 2x8 lots of Corsair Vengeance for $78 at 3600 I think and CL16? I don’t know maybe I’ll do that next. Don’t really want to buy RAM if I don’t need amd didn’t go DDR5 for exactly that reason.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
New version of the Torrent:

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
TL;DR - I'd like to build a new PC but I'm a complete normie / rookie with this. Give it a go with some help/tips or just "Dude you're getting a Dell" it?

Long version: My old faithful has been running strong for a good 12 years. No joke. I've had various PCs in the past that have only lived a few years but this girl is living its very best life, and this without turning her off. I leave her running 24/7. Not sure if I'm just incredibly lucky or if PCs made after 2008 just got really really resilient and good due to technology exponentially getting better, but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm just grateful she's a kicker.

But it has been literally a dozen years since I've gotten a new one, and it's time to lay her to rest as an alternate in the spare bedroom.

SO... obviously the goal is best bang for the buck. ...and just like building your own guitar, piece of furniture, treehouse, hell, even dinner, I KNOW the best way to save money but still get a quality product is buying quality parts and making it yourself. What's the buck? About 1k budget. Very low, but keep in mind I'm not a high-end PC gamer either. Afaik, (and please correct me if I'm wrong) most of a high-end gaming PC's cost goes into a top notch graphics card and RAM. Sure, I'd love to play EQ or Portal (LoL) with all the bells and whistles turned on but it's honestly not my MAIN use of my PC. That would be media. Making vids, mixing music/sounds [for vids], watching videos/movies etc. But sure, I still want a reliable clunker to pull up EQ and 2 box with no problems either.

Is someone who is a complete n00b with building PCs from scratch yet is intelligent enough to always figure out how a gadget works without the instructions have the capability to frankenstein their own unique PC or am I stepping in a world where I should recheck my fire insurance, my own life due to shock risks, and just.... get a Dell like a plebe?

This thread will either be very short with folks saying "Ya, building a PC from scratch needs serious expertise" or...

...it will be a long journey of updates of me getting various bits, bobs, and gizmos and, as stated above: a complete normie building a pretty decent PC to use.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's a million fucking threads for this but of course you'd start your own.

• 3Truth!
  • 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
There's a million fucking threads for this but of course you'd start your own.
I looked down a full page. If you think I'm going to comb through 30+ pages just to find something that doesn't upset your OCD, you're nuts. That said, if this thread's existence triggers you this bad you can ask Amod to merge this into one that I could start bumping... if you think I'm doing this "for attention", you miserable sack of shit.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Newegg - iBuyPower Slate5MR - i5/16GB/3060/MiniATX - $999
junk1.png

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Oh I get it; there really are a million threads like this... problem is, I have honestly literally never clicked on the technology and gadgets sub-forum. Dead serious. So to me, this is exactly where a thread like this would go... PC & Console Gaming subforum. I legit looked through this subforum for a thread to latch on to and it was just games. I honestly had no idea this kind of stuff was discussed in a completely different section. Jeez, sorry...

w5thwti.jpg

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Others have done the ass kicking already, so I'll throw out a uninformed opinion based on watching these threads and being in slightly similiar situation.

You are fucked on price unless you want it to be just an office computer. Going older gen on components doesn't even work great to cut costs down. Prices have gotten out of control for many components. Building something in the general "tier" I usually would has gone from a 1800 PC to about 3k.

A 1080TI pretty high end card when it released in 2017 is still going for $3-600 on ebay etc USED for a up to 5 year old card and who knows how used and abused.

I dont know how good of a processor etc for media work you really need, but at least they are available and my doom and gloom I'm sure you can grab something as far as a GPU that's less appealing to anyone that's a current gen gamer, it's just going to cost more than it should.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Oh I get it; there really are a million threads like this... problem is, I have honestly literally never clicked on the technology and gadgets sub-forum. Dead serious. So to me, this is exactly where a thread like this would go... PC & Console Gaming subforum. I legit looked through this subforum for a thread to latch on to and it was just games. I honestly had no idea this kind of stuff was discussed in a completely different section. Jeez, sorry...
Just go to that forum thread and check the post by Jovec from earlier today. It's a decent enough build and if you buy a Windows code off Ebay for like $5 it comes to pretty much exactly $1k.

Though personally I would never recommend anyone buy anything from Newegg anymore, and not just because of the recent Gamers Nexus fiasco. Newegg's been shit ever since they got a major investment from some asshole Chinese company 5 or 6 years ago.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
You are fucked on price unless you want it to be just an office computer.
This is what I didn't expect, but realized could be a reality. What I expected was:

This thread will either be very short with folks saying "Ya, building a PC from scratch needs serious expertise" or...

...it will be a long journey of updates of me getting various bits, bobs, and gizmos and, as stated above: a complete normie building a pretty decent PC to use.
But it's really just so common with gamers that the market has 0 benefit from building a PC yourself versus just me going down to Target and plopping down $999 on a HP huh?

Fuck. But hey, in a way... I feel this is the rare time that getting blue-pilled is a great thing at least for worrying about getting it all together as a normie.

ignorance_is_bliss_matrix.gif

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Things are bad enough that right now people who would normally build their own are grabbing prebuilts due to parts shortages/pricing. Mostly GPUs. It's a bad time to learn how to build a PC unless you're willing to spend a lot of time looking for the parts that will fit your budget.

But it's really just so common with gamers that the market has 0 benefit from building a PC yourself versus just me going down to Target and plopping down $999 on a HP huh?

Start with a non garbage prebuilt that you can upgrade in the future. That means no proprietary parts, so avoid the big PC manufacturers like Dell, HP and such. Get one from a company that essentially uses off the shelf parts that you could theoretically buy yourself.

Gamers Nexus has been doing a series on prebuilts, trying to find ones that aren't complete shit. Most of them are probably above your price range, but there were a couple around $1k or under. Even if none of them are for you, it would be educational for you to check them out as they point out bad things and why they are bad.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is what I didn't expect, but realized could be a reality. What I expected was:

Fuck. But hey, in a way... I feel this is the rare time that getting blue-pilled is a great thing at least for worrying about getting it all together as a normie.

View attachment 397627
to give you an idea of what you should expect to pay, from high quality components w/o a video card, i've been thinking about upgrading my work pc, so i'd only use the onboard video for multi display
20bd17bd094c84c4a0e2ca878b08bd9a.png

is this the best value? more like my preferences, i wanna play with team blue (it's been 20years), i don't want water, i have a bias for bequiet and want a silent case and the ram/mb/ps will allow me to oc if i want to, or let intel turbo boost.

this is w/o a dedicated video card, i don't plan on gaming on this pc, can you shave off a few bucks? sure but the sacrifices will be huge.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have experience with good battery backup supply? I'm looking for a good, stable UPS that will only draw power from the battery when there is a power outage. The one I currently have an APC something something, can't see the model number. Is being annoying. Now that I'm running a 32" monitor at 1440p, the UPS will start crying, long beeps every few seconds with the power light turning yellow. The manual doesn't mention anything like what I'm seeing / hearing, so not sure what the issue is. My assumption is that the UPS is for some reason drawing power from its battery?

Anyway, is there a good, quiet UPS with 800W+ that someone has used before?