Desktop Computers

Malevolus

Trakanon Raider
I am in the preliminary planning stage of building a new pc now that prices are starting to stabilize and I am looking at the 3080 Ti for the GPU, but not entirely sure about which version or brand. Anyone have any guidance on decision criteria for a given chipset across the various brand offerings? I've watched some videos on Youtube and read an online article but would love any feedback from someone with more experience can provide.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Unless you NEED Nvidia id say go with the 6900XT Red Devil Ultimate(must be ultimate) or wait on the 6950XT if you will be waiting 2-3 months to pull trigger. A 6900XT is better than a 3080TI, i care not what the Nvidia cult think! Ofcourse if youre someone who actually uses DLSS or RT then id say go with a FE 3080 or 3080 Suprim.

If your budget isnt too tight just stick with the X570(s) or Z690 - Tho the little brother AMD variants are good, the Tomahawk will forever be a great purchase for AMD MSI cards. If youre going with Intel then ASUS is good "only" for the PCIE release button for GPU - if that means nothing to you then id say once again MSI or Gigabyte(mainly because ive had no issues with ram up to 6400 on mine).

Intel vs AMD? - Doesnt matter - Intel will last one more GPU gen for Raptor lake and AMD X570 is now current but tomorrow dated(generally speaking since AM4 has reached its last year of being current). In Timespy my 5950x w/ 6900XT beats my 12900K w/ 3090 FE, granted thats a bit to be expected with the liquid devil raw horsepower.

If you do go intel just go with D5, the DDR5 6000 or 6400 vs DDR4 CL14 3800 is so close in gaming that you wont notice a difference so may as well future proof (dont forget to go into Microcenter for you 1800w PSU!)

Red Devil Non Ult -

Red Devil Ult

B550 Tomahawk

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I am in the preliminary planning stage of building a new pc now that prices are starting to stabilize and I am looking at the 3080 Ti for the GPU, but not entirely sure about which version or brand. Anyone have any guidance on decision criteria for a given chipset across the various brand offerings? I've watched some videos on Youtube and read an online article but would love any feedback from someone with more experience can provide.

The 3080 TI is such a bad value compared to the 3080. You get maybe a 10% performance boost for a huge markup. I had the opportunity to grab a 3080 TI FE this morning at MSRP and noped out. Availability and pricing is improving, so if you can wait it out you could probably save a few hundred that you could put in to other parts.

As far Intel vs AMD, it's pretty much personal preference right now. The new intel CPUs are very competitive and are sometimes a better value, though the motherboards are newer and generally more expensive. Socket AM4 for AMD is on it's last generation, so there won't be any real upgrades there in the future without changing motherboards.

If you go with Intel, keep in mind that you should be running Windows 11 due to the new CPU architecture. It's mostly fine in W10, but some odd things can happen.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would do a 3080 Ti over a 3090, cheaper for the same performance but 3080s seem to be the tipping price point as everything above is still whale hunting markups. EVGA has the best warranties while the worst cards are ZOTAC and probably Gigabyte right behind them. Rest of the brands somewhere in the middle.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would do a 3080 Ti over a 3090, cheaper for the same performance but 3080s seem to be the tipping price point as everything above is still whale hunting markups. EVGA has the best warranties while the worst cards are ZOTAC and probably Gigabyte right behind them. Rest of the brands somewhere in the middle.
the only reason to pony up for a 3090 over a 3080 or 3080ti is so you can try to recoup by mining.

no idea on the how effective hacks are for the lhr (thats the nvidia mining limiter), it's basically playing a game of catchup all the time tho

if you don't care about mining then, whatever.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I’d either do 3080 12GB or 3090 if it was absolutely going to be Nvidia for the purchase. None of the TI seem worth it outside of the 3060ti. However if talking about price to perf it would still be a 6900XT. Especially if you get it off AMD for $1000 on a Thursday.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I need LianLi to make 180mm fans to put on my torrent, and im kinda bothered by them releasing LConnect3 when we had complaints about it not working in beta. Half of us couldnt even get it to show cpu or gpu temps and loads. In general its way better than LConnect 1 and 2 and some other software but its hardly ready for release.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Come On Reaction GIF by NBA

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Kind of a general computer question here: Is there any way to move your favorite places (Microsoft Edge) to a new computer?

I've got around 2000 saved pages over 20 or so folders and just got a new computer. Sending them all over manually via email would take like ten hours so I'm hoping there's some option to just port them over.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Kind of a general computer question here: Is there any way to move your favorite places (Microsoft Edge) to a new computer?

I've got around 2000 saved pages over 20 or so folders and just got a new computer. Sending them all over manually via email would take like ten hours so I'm hoping there's some option to just port them over.
should be a simple export/import somewhere

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

Every browser that I know of has a function to export all your bookmarks to a HTML file that can be imported to any other browser.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Just log in to another pc and sync with your user log in? who uses import or export anymore? its 2022 bros!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just log in to another pc and sync with your user log in? who uses import or export anymore? its 2022 bros!

Oh, damn, it looks like my new computer already did that. Good thing this isn't a family computer because some of those bookmarks are NSFW.

So I didn't even need to ask, nice.

Unfortunately I lost about 400 open tabs on the last day that I was using the last computer. Even though I was able to restore them after rebooting without any issue for weeks, I was gonna add them to another favorites folder before I switched over to the new computer. Poof, all up in smoke once the computer crashed for good. Mehh.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 2 users