Desktop Computers

Druss

Trakanon Raider
Just dodged that bullet, was seriously considering going rysen 7800X3D and Radeon 7900 XTX, for the first time ever, instead of Intel/Nvidia, happend across someone ranting about thier issues with amd 6700 something and remembered all the issues id read about in the past about AMD issues/bugs and went nah and did Intel again. i7 13700k and 4090, glad i did.
Also got lucky at micro center they had a returned 4090 that someone couldnt fit in thier case. for like $1440, saved $360 since all they had in stock i wanted was an OC Asus 4090 for $1800. First time using Micro Center will see how it goes, my last two computers lasted 7 and 6 years + with no upgrades.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Used market for 30x series seems to be in a good spot if that's on the table. Seems like moving to a card with higher amounts of memory is becoming more of a concern with modern games so may be something to watch for (ex: shy away from 8gig cards).
A new 4070 is going to be a better deal than most used 30X0s, especially if you can get an FE. I do feel like the partner boards are overpriced.

I feel like the 4070 is something you could easily resell for 350 2 years from now.

I would not buy any of the more expensive cards until Nvidia actually moves to DP 2.x.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A new 4070 is going to be a better deal than most used 30X0s, especially if you can get an FE. I do feel like the partner boards are overpriced.

I feel like the 4070 is something you could easily resell for 350 2 years from now.

I would not buy any of the more expensive cards until Nvidia actually moves to DP 2.x.
I was able to flip out of my 3090 to 4090 at a low rent cost. I didnt think that would have happened, but it worked out just mildly more expensive than the last cycles transition cost.

Is DP 2.x the architecture for the 50x0 series? or just something they'll call a "ti" version?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I was able to flip out of my 3090 to 4090 at a low rent cost. I didnt think that would have happened, but it worked out just mildly more expensive than the last cycles transition cost.

Is DP 2.x the architecture for the 50x0 series? or just something they'll call a "ti" version?
I'm just talking about the DisplayPort connectors still being 1.4. Not very future-proof, and not even using that ironically.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Phanteks gift for almost burning my house down. Better than nothing I guess. And nothing broke besides the shitty cable.

PXL_20230426_152904404.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Druss

Trakanon Raider
Cool that they actually gave you anything. That allen wrench looks huge! must just be the angle as it looks like a half inch or better.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got some nice comp build screwdriver set from amazon years back. They were all magnetic, so you didnt lose screws, and they were long and skinny, perfect tools for comps and builds. But of course the kids at the time clepted them and I never saw them again, lol.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I got some nice comp build screwdriver set from amazon years back. They were all magnetic, so you didnt lose screws, and they were long and skinny, perfect tools for comps and builds. But of course the kids at the time clepted them and I never saw them again, lol.
you can magnetize any screwdriver for 5bucks
6022461b19707cb777381b1ea7825611.png

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
TRS Color Computer/cassette player to TV here. Chicklet keys that stuck half the time but I thought I was hot shit.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
First computer was a VIC-20 with a cassette drive, hooked up to a black and white tv. Upgraded a couple years later to the C64 with a 1541 disk drive. Keyed in so many programs from Compute! Magazine I learned BASIC through immersion.

Druss

Trakanon Raider
TRS Color Computer/cassette player to TV here. Chicklet keys that stuck half the time but I thought I was hot shit.
hah yah, my first computer was in about 1980 trash 80 with 16K ram lol and the cassette player and if you didnt line up the cassette just right it couldnt read the game. second one was a tandy 1000SX with two 5.25 floppys no HHD back then, altho a friend a couple years before that had an apple II with a hdd. top of the line back then lol. paid a $1000 for the trash 80so almost the same costs with inflation.