Desktop Computers

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I am currently using 7950x but moving to a 13900KS and selling off the AMD and moving back to water cooling in the Nv7.

I would have thought everyone knew this -
I was considering a 7950x system, but after the motherboard debacle and researching more, I'm not very confident about the instability problems alongside AMD/motherboard updates, so I began to lean towards the 13900k. What made you decide to go that route?

There was just a deal at Micro Center for ~$490 on the 13900k, although I'm not sure about the KS. I'm thinking I'll wait until it pops back on sale again plus an MSI carbon wifi, some ddr5, and call it a day. I already have everything else like the AiO, GPU, case, fans, and storage.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I am currently using 7950x but moving to a 13900KS and selling off the AMD and moving back to water cooling in the Nv7.

I would have thought everyone knew this -

Why would it be common knowledge to enter BIOS to get the promised speed from your RAM?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Idk I've built several computers and somehow never heard about it :/ Not even sure why it would ever be a thing honestly.
Because RAM makers are muppets and don't like to stick to standards. That Ultra Miggahartz RAM could be running far enough out of spec to cause major headaches for people who aren't into fiddling around with their computers. By having safe paramaters as default, such headaches are avoided.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Why would it be common knowledge to enter BIOS to get the promised speed from your RAM?

Well, you've needed to do exactly that to enable XMP (Intel) since DDR3 came out in 2007. It was pretty damn simple compared to most overclocking back then.

It's always one of the first things in the "how to get more out of your pc" type PSA videos, too.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
who remembers when amd's profile was called DOCP, after XMP was out in the world?

i forget when AMD stopped being retarded and adopted XMP name or if it was intel that allowed AMD to use it, but christ... hell i remember that was an alternative, alternative to DOCP named EOCP for AMD

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im surprised you guys never knew about XMP. The "how to" for building a computer from Linus, Jay, Tech Jesus, everyone, always has a segment about "dont forget to turn XMP on!" As far as Im aware, XMP and the AMD equivalent can cause stability issues if the computer isnt properly setup which is why it isnt on by default. I personally think it should be on by default and the person building the PC should at least have enough knowledge to turn it off as a step by step procedure in figuring out where the instability is coming from.

Im not sure there is anything else that is commonly skipped over by novice builders, though.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Im not sure there is anything else that is commonly skipped over by novice builders, though.
Not connecting the audio wire to your sound card from the CD-ROM.
images.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Not changing your HDD jumper from Master to Slave.

But seriously, I think the only recent (last 10-15 years maybe) thing that wasn’t immediately obvious was when all the thermal throttling stuff was introduced and I had to find the right BIOS settings to keep the chip running hot and not dropping down to 1 GHz or whatever that was causing all sorts of issues.

Not sure if that was my 7700k build or build before that.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not changing your HDD jumper from Master to Slave.

But seriously, I think the only recent (last 10-15 years maybe) thing that wasn’t immediately obvious was when all the thermal throttling stuff was introduced and I had to find the right BIOS settings to keep the chip running hot and not dropping down to 1 GHz or whatever that was causing all sorts of issues.

Not sure if that was my 7700k build or build before that.
the pentium d, b/4 core2duo?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I could make an easy 15-20 item list of stuff that people don't do correctly when building a PC, setting up Windows, and optimizing it after initial install.

If I get bored, I will.

But yeah, the number of people who buy super high speed RAM and then run it on SPD timings the entire time is shockingly high.

There's a bunch of things almost everyone misses with Secure Boot, but nobody really cares either and it varies by motherboard vendor somewhat.

(PS: You also have to put it back on XMP after every BIOS update, and re-setup your fan profiles.)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Damn kids, back in my day we set our memory speed by fiddling about with jumpers in a packed case full of sharp edges and we liked it.

1686634891579.png

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Just getting to all of those jumpers in them shit cases back then with your spaghetti nest of colored psu cables and ide cables everywhere and no cable management thought to design, fuck.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Just getting to all of those jumpers in them shit cases back then with your spaghetti nest of colored psu cables and ide cables everywhere and no cable management thought to design, fuck.

Adding a network card, Sound Blaster and and Diamond S3 to this piece of shit with no mobo documentation.

packard-bell-890481-pentium-133-mhz-platinum-pizza-tower-computer-1.35__41879.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 1WTF
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users