Destiny 2 - Clan Link 1st Post

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There just isnt a lot of incentive to play to 5500. Most of the weapon quests (the good ones) only take 2100 Thats why the player base playing comp is so short at the top ranks. Plus not a lot of people like comp compared to just busting it out in quick play.

And yeah they pretty much balance the lobbies like this, you can even see it in IB. If there is one really good player, they fill the other ranks with plebs, same with other team. Or two above average players and then the rest plebs. When your ranking, however the fuck bungie calculates it, gets to a high level, youre expected to carry games. this is why some of the really great PvP streamers like ifrostbolt for example get so frustrated at times. so yeah in comp if thre isnt enough players you will see this shit as well.

Also ELO is not a good way to calculate this, because they way they calc ELO is basically mostly on win %. They do not count other shit into it like KD and KDA, assists and all that other shit. So you could theoretically be a good player, above average but have a shit win rate because you solo mostly and reliant on other team members they expect you to carry, or just bad fucking luck so you will lose and thus lower ELO. In Destiny one you actually had a PvP rating on the Bungie site, but they got rid of that.

You can pad that shit easily and it really means nothing. Just roll with a 6 stack with coms and you will win 90% of your games and your ELO will sky rocket.

Last edited:

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
Also ELO is not a good way to calculate this, because they way they calc ELO is basically mostly on win %. They do not count other shit into it like KD and KDA, assists and all that other shit. So you could theoretically be a good player, above average but have a shit win rate because you solo mostly and reliant on other team members they expect you to carry, or just bad fucking luck so you will lose and thus lower ELO. In Destiny one you actually had a PvP rating on the Bungie site, but they got rid of that.

Destiny Tracker isn't accurate, but it is consistent. It's an approximation of your "MMR" and quite honestly, it very accurately predicts your chances of winning a match.

There's almost never a time that a highly skilled player will have a bad win rate, overall. It's just not possible. It is possible to have a high win rate and be a weaker player like myself, because players like myself play with other people who vastly out skill me. So while I have a high ELO I'm terrible for my rating.

Thus, when I go to play solo, I'm quite often expected to "carry" and just get shit on. This is because of the "lobby balance", as we call it. It's this lobby balance that really fucks with how games feel. The reason why higher skilled players get really shitty about this is because even if they are the hard carry for the team, in order to win some games, they need to carry even harder than even their skill allows. It happens a lot, you just get teamed up into an unwinnable game -- the problem, and frustration with this is that "unwinnable game" was forced on you by Bungie. It was not organic in the slightest.

If you're a highly skilled player and want to play with friends, or use off-meta weapons for a laugh, be prepared to lose, and rage about that no-skill Titan with a shotgun/recluse and One-Eyed Mask (that's me btw).

I've had this discussion a lot with my mates that all have KD's over 2.0, and I've flip flopped on the issue a lot. I don't see a change that they could make that would make the problem go away. I do feel that lobby balancing is super toxic to everyone in the lobby, and probably needs to go.

The one question I really have about the inner workings of Bungies MM is do they take personal rating and team rating into consideration when matching. While my personal KDA is pretty bad, my win rate is high, thus, I'm a good at working with others, but as an individual I'm weak. Would I be matched with team mates that are strong individual players but suck working as a team? Could that explain why I still manage to win more games than I lose at even high ELOs solo?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So you can only move up in comp by winning. Ok, this is going to be harder than I anticipated.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Stay with your team, teamsohot as much as possible, use the radar, learn when to collapse on weak enemy, play your life. Also try to control mid map where power ammo spawns.

Sabbat

Trakanon Raider
So you can only move up in comp by winning. Ok, this is going to be harder than I anticipated.

Well, why you don't get points for losing, you also won't lose points for losing until you're over 2100. This is a new change this season, making it the "easiest" season so far to at least get Recluse. You also don't completely drop your win streak either, making it overall faster to progress as well, assuming you at least win a games of course.

... and as Lenas said, watch that video. Get some decent pvp weapons shotgun/pulse/machinegun. Practice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Well, why you don't get points for losing, you also won't lose points for losing until you're over 2100. This is a new change this season, making it the "easiest" season so far to at least get Recluse. You also don't completely drop your win streak either, making it overall faster to progress as well, assuming you at least win a games of course.

... and as Lenas said, watch that video. Get some decent pvp weapons shotgun/pulse/machinegun. Practice.
For some reason I thought I lost points when I lost last night. If that is not that case, then yeah...this shouldn't be too hard. Thanks for the infos, all.

Janx

<Silver Donator>

You can lose points for sure. Just can't de-rank.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Confirmed... when I did this last week I lost points for losing until I got to 0 for that rank. Then I stopped.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Is there a trick to clearing level 9 of the haunted forest? I just did 9 tiers and didn't get credit for it. Still said it was only 8.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I got lucky and got dropped into a 1/2 finished game and we made it to 9 lol. Most of the pugs ive been in though have a hard time even reaching 7-8 though.

But its all in the masks, and those mods IMO. Have one for trash, have one for bosses, switch them out. You wanna kill that boss as fast as possible.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
BTW so ive been asking in guild chat for a while but I need some peeps with Izagani to help me with the last 2 steps to get mine. Im on the pyramidion strike quest step. I just need the strike and then the last mission which I think is a forge run. PC of course.

Fadaar

That guy
Haunted Forest can be pretty heavy RNG. Sometimes you can clear a whole tier on just the first area if there's a lot of enemies, especially elites. Other times you gotta clear 3 or 4 and it takes way longer.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Or the ones packed with 4+ ogres and their beams of death.

BTW I handed in about 15 ish or so candy packs for the AR trying to get an oulaw and kill clip and keep missing, keep getting outlaw and grave robber, I think thats the most common, at least for me. I did score a ricochet/ triple tap/ kill clip though that I kept.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
BTW so ive been asking in guild chat for a while but I need some peeps with Izagani to help me with the last 2 steps to get mine. Im on the pyramidion strike quest step. I just need the strike and then the last mission which I think is a forge run. PC of course.

they fixed the quest this last patch. i've been a little busy the last few days but i'm planning on taking care of it one of these days so let me know when you're on and we'll knock it out

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ive heard that its still broken. Heard some chat about it in a stream I was watching. But that could be just rumors though.

BTW had fun in that new Activity on the moon the last few days. Scored a curated rocket launcher, then last night I got like 4-5 shotties but none with snapshot, then today I got a snapshot sniper. I wish they had more weapons to grind for there.

Last edited:

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you don't have it by the time I'm back from my trip I'll help. You don't need other people with Iza, the strike is basically just a nightfall.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yes but it would not let people in the strike if you were not on the quest step or past it. j00t j00t tried to help but it would not let him in the strike.