Destiny 2 - Clan Link 1st Post

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

xzi

Mouthbreather
Its really weird Activision is just letting it go. Do they think Destiny is a dud? Are they going to build their own competitor via Call of Duty or Blizzard?

Sadly I think most likely Activision has decided pc/console gaming is probably a dead end or lower-growth potential in the long term and may be pivoting to mobile gaming, which kinda sucks but then again they don't really make games (outside call of duty, which is easily replacable) I give a shit about anymore.

Activision Says 'Destiny 2' Is Underperforming, What Happens Now?

tl;dr Activision has been completely disappointed with Destiny 2 and were trying to force more monetization into the game to make up for it underperforming, because their investors were pissed. Which basically just means their goal of infinite growth finally hit its ceiling and they're mad about it, because several hundred millions of dollars isn't enough.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Its really weird Activision is just letting it go. Do they think Destiny is a dud? Are they going to build their own competitor via Call of Duty or Blizzard?

Sadly I think most likely Activision has decided pc/console gaming is probably a dead end or lower-growth potential in the long term and may be pivoting to mobile gaming, which kinda sucks but then again they don't really make games (outside call of duty, which is easily replacable) I give a shit about anymore.

Starcraft Ghost is going to make a comeback from the dead!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think everyone is all out of ideas. And I don't think that's just limited to gaming.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think everyone is all out of ideas. And I don't think that's just limited to gaming.

Nah, I think there are plenty of great ideas out there, getting fucking shit all over by giant fuckstick corporations and microtransaction fuckbois, or squashed under "industry leaders" who should have been ousted from the industry years ago... dear god, I'm slowly turning into Utnayan Utnayan :D

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The original Destiny concept where the Traveler was The Darkness and was using the Last City as a human shield, was that killed by Activision execs or by Bungie execs? The running and gunning engine aspects of Destiny have always been good, what has been lacking is the story / progression / overarching feel.

I'm not quite sure where they go from here, however, given the mess they have on their hands.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Waht I think Activision did is push the micros down their throats. Basically how can we extract as much cash from this shit as we can. Which pretty much forced Bungie to give up valuable dev time into a cash shop. which im not sure how much that was. But the game and story shit? The dumb gmeplay decisions of D2 vanilla, etc... Thats all Bungie. People are all like, They are finally free of the Activision tyranny and now finally Destiny will be good! When in reality Bungie is to blame for most of the horrible decisions throughout D1 and D2.

Well have to see, they did turn D2 around with Forsaken, but still D2 should of been a good game from the start if they learned anything at all with D1 which also was saved by a late DLC, the taken King, 2 yrs into the game. Instead D2 was nothing like Yr2 Destiny 1. They gutted the gameplay experience, took away random rolls, gave out Exotics like they were candy, and purples were like blues. Crucible was gutted as well, went from 6v6 to 4v4 and redesigned shittier higher TTK, less supers, less effective class abilities, etc... And while D2 Yr2 crucible is better than vanilla, its still suffering compared to the golden age of D1, which was House of Wolves all the way through The Taken King and further.

So yeah, im not sure how you can blame Activision for the shitty decisions Bungie made with D2.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Waht I think Activision did is push the micros down their throats. Basically how can we extract as much cash from this shit as we can. Which pretty much forced Bungie to give up valuable dev time into a cash shop. which im not sure how much that was. But the game and story shit? The dumb gmeplay decisions of D2 vanilla, etc... Thats all Bungie. People are all like, They are finally free of the Activision tyranny and now finally Destiny will be good! When in reality Bungie is to blame for most of the horrible decisions throughout D1 and D2.

Well have to see, they did turn D2 around with Forsaken, but still D2 should of been a good game from the start if they learned anything at all with D1 which also was saved by a late DLC, the taken King, 2 yrs into the game. Instead D2 was nothing like Yr2 Destiny 1. They gutted the gameplay experience, took away random rolls, gave out Exotics like they were candy, and purples were like blues. Crucible was gutted as well, went from 6v6 to 4v4 and redesigned shittier higher TTK, less supers, less effective class abilities, etc... And while D2 Yr2 crucible is better than vanilla, its still suffering compared to the golden age of D1, which was House of Wolves all the way through The Taken King and further.

So yeah, im not sure how you can blame Activision for the shitty decisions Bungie made with D2.

Agree with most of that. The main thing Activision wants is the yearly releases for DLC's etc. That kind of schedule is very tough on creators trying to make quality decisions. And with modern graphics it's and incredible amount of work. Plus the microtransaction thing is most certainly a big corporate push. So it sounds like too many chiefs was a big reason for D2's issues. Although, without Activision's accountant masters Bungie still may fuck it up.

Ladro

Anomaly
I've said this before - D2Y1 was intentional. They had to dumb the entire game down in order to get to Forsaken. It was not a fuck up by anyone... they needed to clean up their content and delivery pipelines and introduce new systems slowly while gathering critical metrics and data at scale in production. This is a non trivial task that required commitment all the way up to the top. They knew they would eat that first year.

You don't make what Forsaken is in 3-6 months. Period. That release was planned for YEARS and everything that was required to get there was back ported into the release plans.

Saying they fucked up does a massive disservice to the developers and product managers that worked their asses off while taking shit and smiling every day.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh, its one thing to streamline shit, I get that. But the entire decisions they made with D2 vanilla was so far off from success of D1 yr2 that it really boggles the mind. They basically dumbed down the entire game for the lowest common denominator thinking it would attract more people. And it did in the beginning, except a month or two in they all left, including die hard Destiny fanboys. It was a shell fo a game. No random loot, 4v4 crucible with dumbed down supers, drop rate on everything was increased. Basically past the first month or two, you literally owned every weapon, every armor the game had to offer, so why play a loot and shoot with absolutely no loot?

Then they spent the next year scrambling trying to fix it all, basically getting D2 back to D1 standards.

Then there is the whole engine debacle, where it takes a couple of days to move a fucking bush in game.

spronk

FPS noob
the flaw I have with the "bungie guys are the heroes, activision are the baddies that FORCED them to do X..." is that they knew what a shit show they had in with D1, especially with in terms of how fast they could make content and how long it took and how it was received. THEY DIDN'T FIX ANY OF IT IN DESTINY 2 AND MADE IT WORSE. Sure, Forsaken may have rolled back stuff to a d1 level but how is that smart or good? Sure, Activision may have been constantly pushing them for more microTX and shit but nowadays you hear every single D2 article start with "... and Destiny 2 content takes a long time to create due to flaws with production tools, which they hopefully will fix with Destiny 3".

motherfuckers, you had that problem with D1 and you still have it with D2? WTF? That tells me you have incredibly bad top level designers/producers.

I would love a Destiny that is a f2p single game that encompasses EVERYTHING Destiny - D1, D2, etc and they make a promise that they won't roll out new "platforms". Once you start a character on it, it'll stick around for the next 10 years ala WoW/Everquest/GTA Online/Fortnite/etc. Then layer in battle passes, cosmetics, etc ala GTA/Fortnite. Now release events every now and then everyone can participate in so people have a reason to keep playing. And of course an amazing PVP system which has small map multiplayer FPS, 100 man battle royale, whatever else. Finally layer in single player story content, release a new chunk every year for which you charge $20 (or w/e) that is for the hardcore PVE fans. The entire game should have levels so people can "progress", but encounters should be open to everyone and be reasonably easy so you don't need to be fucking Lebron James to finish a raid.

Thats what I kept hoping Destiny would turn into, a f2p MMOlite FPS along the lines of GTA Online or FF14 but instead it doubled down hard on splitting its players up and making it super easy to go "well... i can't keep up with these people, fuck this game". Note: i'm not saying make everything carebear, I'm totally fine with some (ultra heroic) content being for the 1%, but when like 80% of your content is inaccessible as a solo player... fuck your game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
the flaw I have with the "bungie guys are the heroes, activision are the baddies that FORCED them to do X..." is that they knew what a shit show they had in with D1, especially with in terms of how fast they could make content and how long it took and how it was received. THEY DIDN'T FIX ANY OF IT IN DESTINY 2 AND MADE IT WORSE. Sure, Forsaken may have rolled back stuff to a d1 level but how is that smart or good? Sure, Activision may have been constantly pushing them for more microTX and shit but nowadays you hear every single D2 article start with "... and Destiny 2 content takes a long time to create due to flaws with production tools, which they hopefully will fix with Destiny 3".

motherfuckers, you had that problem with D1 and you still have it with D2? WTF? That tells me you have incredibly bad top level designers/producers.

I would love a Destiny that is a f2p single game that encompasses EVERYTHING Destiny - D1, D2, etc and they make a promise that they won't roll out new "platforms". Once you start a character on it, it'll stick around for the next 10 years ala WoW/Everquest/GTA Online/Fortnite/etc. Then layer in battle passes, cosmetics, etc ala GTA/Fortnite. Now release events every now and then everyone can participate in so people have a reason to keep playing. And of course an amazing PVP system which has small map multiplayer FPS, 100 man battle royale, whatever else. Finally layer in single player story content, release a new chunk every year for which you charge $20 (or w/e) that is for the hardcore PVE fans. The entire game should have levels so people can "progress", but encounters should be open to everyone and be reasonably easy so you don't need to be fucking Lebron James to finish a raid.

Thats what I kept hoping Destiny would turn into, a f2p MMOlite FPS along the lines of GTA Online or FF14 but instead it doubled down hard on splitting its players up and making it super easy to go "well... i can't keep up with these people, fuck this game". Note: i'm not saying make everything carebear, I'm totally fine with some (ultra heroic) content being for the 1%, but when like 80% of your content is inaccessible as a solo player... fuck your game.

Warframe is the closet thing to that. It's been consistently a better game than both Destiny 1 and 2.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Warframe is great, but I hardly play it. Game feels too bloated with various systems.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
i-pCv5qCS-2100x20000.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is the FoH clan still active on this game? Trying to get caught up, and I know that weekly clan reward is key, and my old clan is dead.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Is the FoH clan still active on this game? Trying to get caught up, and I know that weekly clan reward is key, and my old clan is dead.
Clan rewards aren't really a big deal anymore since they now give random generic shit instead of loot from the activity specific engram.